Nitro Member
Congrats to Gilby and Crew !!!!

IHRA North American Nationals, Epping, NH

Bob Gilbertson, Right lane, (0.073) 4.843 311.92
def. Paul Lee, (-0.012 foul) 4.961 293.86

Low ET: Bob Gilbertson 4.786 seconds
Top Speed: Bob Gilbertson 318.09 MPH
Best Appearing Car Award (2 Weeks in a Row)[/B]

my dad emailed me friday and said he was going to that race. hopefully he'll send me some good pictures. nitro funny cars return to new england dragway.

had to be special for him.

GILBERTSON WINS NORTH AMERICAN NATIONALS

Epping, postrace: - Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson had without a doubt the best weekend of racing he's ever had in his career at New England Dragway as he won the IHRA North American Nationals Sunday.

Gilbertson not only won the event and moved into striking distance of the eMax points lead, but also set both ends of the IHRA World Record, had low E.T., top speed, was the number one qualifier and for the second week in a row won the Best Appearing Car award to cap off an almost perfect race.

Gilbertson defeated Paul Lee in the final round with a 4.93 second elapsed time to easily cover Lee's 4.96 to win his second IHRA National event but suffered an engine explosion and fire that severely damaged his new Jungle Jim tribute car body.

"This was a great weekend for me and my team," Gilbertson said. "Everything came together for us, the car ran good and was very consistent, the team worked their butts off and gave me a car I could win with and my crew chiefs Nicky (Boninfante) and Tommy (Delago) made the right calls that put us in the winner's circle. I could have entered the car in a bracket race as we ran 4.85, 4.84 and a 4.83 in the final to win the deal and we'll go on to the next race with confidence and momentum on our side."

"The only down side of the weekend is that we blew the side off of the new Jungle body but it's not as bad as it looks," Gilbertson added. "We're sending the body back to Indy Speed, Custom & Restoration who painted the car to get it repaired and we should be able to bring it back out real soon."

Television coverage of the race will broadcast on SPEED TV on Saturday, September 30th at 4 PM with a repeat broadcast on Monday, October 2nd at 5 PM.

I'm really glad Gilby is ok, but DAMN! Damage that body with the beautiful PAINT job is is a crying shame. It was paint... not decals.

Just a quick note to let you all know that TV coverage of Bob's big win at the IHRA North American Nationals last weekend will be televised on SPEED TV Saturday, September 30th at 4:00 pm and repeated on Monday, October 2nd at 5:00 pm.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back