Gilbertson to skip NHRA Event in Topeka (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON TO SKIP NHRA EVENT IN TOPEKA

Cites increasing costs and decrease in sales

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson has elected to skip the next race on the NHRA schedule, the O'Reilly Auto Parts Summer Nationals in Topeka, Kan.

Gilbertson, who has skipped a few NHRA races already this year, regrets having to miss the race but was forced to make that decision due to budget restraints, availability of parts and the cost of having to travel to the Midwest for a single event.

"Once again this was a tough decision to make," Gilbertson said. "The same factors that caused us to miss Las Vegas and St. Louis figured into the equation. The new diesel engine emissions law that was implemented January 1, 2007 has had a direct impact on our racing budget. Freightliner, the largest truck manufacturer in the world, is one of my company's biggest customers, we supply them with air tanks and they've seen their sales drop off 40% and they've laid off over 6,000 people so far and with that, the demand for air tanks has dropped like a rock. They don't expect sales to improve until the fourth quarter and look to increase production then and into 2008.

"With the ever increasing cost of diesel fuel the huge expense of traveling to Kansas for this race would be outrageous. I regret having to do this as competing on the NHRA circuit is what the team and I want to do but it's decision I'm forced to make. We will re-join the NHRA tour at Chicago and we'll also compete at the following race at Englishtown. I want to apologize to all my sponsors and fans who support this team and wanted to see us in Topeka but it's something I'm forced to do to keep this team alive for the rest of the season. just had to do."

Yeah that new "EMISSIONS" stuff for the diesels engines has caused a layoff of all Temporary employees where I work.. Seems alot of smart buyers purchased exta 06 models to stock up an save on the $6,000 price increase for the new emission legal school buses... If sales don't pick back up there will be permanant employee layoffs in the next couple of months..

Well sorry to hear that also, but he is in Tulsa, Ok not that much out of way to go to Topeka, but business decissions are hard to make.

If I was Autolite I would be taking my dollars to a team that will at least show up at a NHRA race. Gilbertson will not be all that far away this weekend, so I do not understand why the incremental traveling costs would be outrageous.

Maybe the Autolite money isn't that big anyway?..... other wise he could go if it was.....

Billy

Maybe the Autolite money isn't that big anyway?..... other wise he could go if it was.....

Billy

I think that is exactly it. They give him a nice chunk but he still has to spend a lot of his money (his company's). When business falls that much your "sponsoring" money has to be cut first I suppose.

Not to knock Gilby, but is it really news when Racers sit out because of lack of $$$? Happens to more racers than anyone can count...:rolleyes:

I hope he makes It to the Joliet race,but I would think that It could be possible that he will not be there either.

Then add on the cost to run, motels, food, etc, etc. Probably a $70k weekend if there is no major damage.

Counting the Driving from Charlotte NC Area then back... won't be surprised if Bob skips the "Western Swing" this year....

Then add on the cost to run, motels, food, etc, etc. Probably a $70k weekend if there is no major damage.

This comment:
That is an interesting point. Tulsa to Topeka can't be very far.............

Was only in reference to this part of the release:

"With the ever increasing cost of diesel fuel the huge expense of traveling to Kansas for this race would be outrageous.

:)

will be at div. 5 points race @ BIR tomorrow; i'll look at
license plates and maybe ask about car counts;
i've been wondering if fuel prices are affecting racers.

They give him a nice chunk

The deal is small, it's about enough to make one run per national event. Fram deals aren't that great, thats why they have been with owners who are running on their own wallet, and any size deal helps.

Virgil gave them far more than they paid for, and finally he had to say good bye when Fram wouldn't step-up. The Carrier Boys problems aren't a surprise, I think Cory and the Boys give Fram a hell of an effort considering the size of their deal.

At $10,000 per run of operating expense, an owner needs at least 100 grand a race to run for the championship, and operate as a business. That's why you hear the 2.5 to 3 million dollar numbers to be a major sponsor.
Add a top tuner (fig) , an assistant crew chief and a Monday testing program ,now an owner needs associate sponsors, souvenir sales, and maybe his own non-racing business to stay on the tour for every race. :eek:

So with fuel costs up, will he make the Western part of the never-ending swing? I would think Fram/Autolite/Honeywell would definitely expect their sponsored car at Sonoma.....

This comment:
That is an interesting point. Tulsa to Topeka can't be very far.............

Was only in reference to this part of the release:

"With the ever increasing cost of diesel fuel the huge expense of traveling to Kansas for this race would be outrageous.

:)

Whoops. Missed that part! Does he run completely separate operations for NHRA and IHRA. I know the cars are different but not sure about the rigs. If the trucks/trailers are different that may be the problem.

If I was Autolite I would be taking my dollars to a team that will at least show up at a NHRA race. Gilbertson will not be all that far away this weekend, so I do not understand why the incremental traveling costs would be outrageous.

Wow.....I was castrated two weeks ago for making that same comment!?!?!?

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who runs IHRA, NHRA, and Motocross and has to park the car for "lack of money".

Wow.....I was castrated two weeks ago for making that same comment!?!?!?

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who runs IHRA, NHRA, and Motocross and has to park the car for "lack of money".

Phillip,

Read some of the other posts here and figure out whether Autolite/Honeywell are paying Gilby enough money in their sponsorship package. If it was a bottomless pit (which we know it isn't) he wouldn't have to go to these drastic measures by skipping an NHRA race here and there. I'm sure he keeps Honeywell informed of this and they could step up their committment with extra $$$$ if they were that concerned.

BUT, I have to agree with several others about how he can justify skipping an NHRA race in the same general vicinity as the IHRA race in Tulsa he just went to and failed to qualify at. HUGE BUMMER THERE. I would spend the money and just stay nearby and hit the NHRA race after that kind of disappointment. His logic of making or not making the long tow to one race for IHRA is the same as for one NHRA race, and the only thing I can figure is he felt he HAD to go to the IHRA race since he actually could have a chance at winning the championship in IHRA but realistically doesn't have that chance in NHRA. I doubt that Gilby has two different transporters, one for NHRA and the other for IHRA as I know he carries the IHRA body with him in the transporter he takes to the NHRA races.

Anyway, all his detractors are entitled to their opinions, but it would be nice if they could put themselves in his (Gilby's) place for a day and see what he goes through just to stay out on tour. It's NOT his only job like most of the touring Pro's, so he has other obligations and concerns outside of drag racing to consider.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back