Gilbertson to skip NHRA Event in St. Louis (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
GILBERTSON TO SKIP NHRA EVENT IN ST. LOUIS

Cites increasing costs and decrease in sales

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Nitro Funny Car racer Bob Gilbertson has elected to skip the next race on the NHRA schedule, this weekend's O'Reilly Auto Parts Midwest Nationals in St. Louis.

Gilbertson, who is currently 14th in the NHRA POWERade points standings, regrets having to miss the race but was forced to make that decision due to budget restraints, availability of parts and the cost of having to travel to the Midwest for a single event.

"Again this was a tough decision to make," Gilbertson said. "There are a few factors that figured into the equation. First off the new diesel engine emissions law that was implemented January 1, 2007 has had a direct impact on our racing budget. Freightliner, the largest truck manufacturer in the world, is one of my company's biggest customers, we supply them with air tanks and they've seen their sales drop off 40% and they've laid off over 6,000 people so far and with that, the demand for air tanks has dropped like a rock. They don't expect sales to improve until the fourth quarter and look to increase production then and into 2008."

"Secondly availability of parts is an issue," Gilbertson added. "Essential parts such as cranks, rods and blocks are on back order due to the buying power of the multi-car teams. Last but not least is the huge expense of traveling to the Midwest for just one race then have to travel back to the east coast for the next race at Bristol. With the ever increasing cost of diesel fuel and lodging the costs of getting the team out there would be outrageous."

"I regret having to do this as competing on the NHRA circuit is what the team and I want to do but it's decision I'm forced to make. We will re-join the NHRA tour at Bristol and I want to apologize to all my sponsors and fans who support this team and wanted to see us in St. Louis but it's something I just had to do."

I wish Autolite would move their sponsorship to Rod Fuller......

They would get more exposure because he actually goes to the races and usually several rounds after that...what a concept......

I just can't believe a major sponsor would stay with someone who does not race....IMHO.

They would get more exposure because he actually goes to the races and usually several rounds after that...what a concept......

I just can't believe a major sponsor would stay with someone who does not race....IMHO.

Have you considered that perhaps he isn't going to the races because the sponsor isn't paying enough to go to all of them?

Isn't he also focussing on IHRA this year running their full series and planning to compete in nhra as much as possible.

Don't forget besides autolite he is his own sponsor(trick tank), is business is bad, he may not be able to dole out as much cash as he had planned.

Have you considered that perhaps he isn't going to the races because the sponsor isn't paying enough to go to all of them?

I'll say it again........ANYTHING is better than what he (Hot Rod) has now.

At least David Powers will foot the rest of the bill......he has already proven that. We all know that sponsor funding doesn't cover every expense that a team encounters during an event. That goes for ANY team.

Again, I'm talking from a sponsors point of view......if our racer can't perform on what we're giving him, let's find someone who will.

Not sure Powers would not put stickers on the side of the car for the amount they are paying. I think they are pretty confident they will land a major sponsor and will not accept anything less.

Phillip,

You must be new to the sport or don't know much about Bob Gilbertson so unless you have the bucks to fund a fuel funny car, you better get a reality check. Bob Gilbertson has been pouring his heart and his OWN money into this sport for quite awhile and believe me, he has his priorities straight. As several have mentioned already, if the Honeywell/Autolite sponsorship was really top tier, they would have the funds to be out there and competing. I can't remember the exact # of straight weekends Gilby's team raced in a row last year but it was something like 10. That was NHRA and IHRA and if you think that didn't cost him alot of money, I don't know what planet you live on, but that had to break the bank. Being on the road that long is way expensive and he did it for love, with hopes of winning a few. Give him a break wouldya?

Trust me, Honeywell (Fram/Autolite etc) is still solidly supporting Bob. The exposure in IHRA may be more important than we realize.
We received the art for Bob's new hero cards from Honeywell today, with an order for 20,000. They will be available at Bristol.
Give Bob some credit for telling it like it is in the trucking industry - he loves to race and has poured a huge amount of his own funds into this. When your business is suffering, it's a smart decision to stay home - JMHO

At least David Powers will foot the rest of the bill......he has already proven that. We all know that sponsor funding doesn't cover every expense that a team encounters during an event. That goes for ANY team.

Again, I'm talking from a sponsors point of view......if our racer can't perform on what we're giving him, let's find someone who will.

I"m sure Gilby will be thankful for your thoughtful input.

I"m sure Gilby will be thankful for your thoughtful input.

Look at it this way folks, what is better: GO race and cut into more of your businesses money, and end up having to make cuts in the long run there (like in staff, benefits, etc.) or cut back some and save your money FOR the business. This is apparently what Bob is doing, and I for one respect that.

It seems that Bob is simply looking out for his family, team and employees. Can't fault the man for that. :cool:

Dude, just hush! Bob doesn't get much out of that Autolite deal. it's a very small deal! And the reason why Mr. Powers could fund the rest is, because he's got a fat pocket. Least Bob is out there giving it his best! Your comments were very negative and not positive one bit! I guess your views are the same for every other racer in Bob's shoes? :rolleyes:

I apologize if (since) my comment has upset anyone. It was just a knee jerk reaction. I’m just tired of seeing good “hired drivers” loose their rides because of the sponsor games that are played today.

And no, I DON’T know the details of how much Gilby receives from Autolite. I DO know he pours a lot of his own money into the team and for that I thank him.

Again, I apologize.

The size of the name on the side of the car does not always coincide with the number of zeros on the check. Gilby's deal would probably run one of the multi-team cars for about 12 races, IMO. He also mentioned that he was having trouble obtaining parts due to the multi-car teams getting all of the allocation from the manufacturers so there is more than one factor in play in this situation. Also, the NHRA criss-crossing the country schedule doesn't help.

The Powers "white car" marketing strategy is confusing. If you're gonna foot the bill, why not put your own company on the car? Fenton, MO CAT dealer is on the car this weekend, but this thing is obviously a race to race deal.
I believe 84 Lumber (who got kicked under the bus by the PGA Tour) has some involvement with Powers. 84 is a big player in the SE and Texas with the construction industry. It would have been a good fit to have them on the car in Atlanta. Perhaps something is going on here that those of us who have some marketing experience don't understand . . . :confused:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back