"gentlemen start your engines" (1 Viewer)

smarttoday.jpg

Jackee is absolutely correct - the phrase originated at the Indy 500 and has become the traditional starting phrase for all kinds of motorsports. Tony Hulman's mother modified it to "Lady and Gentlemen..." when Janet Guthrie qualified for the Indy 500.

just play the anthem/s and light the first pair. let the announcer say something
like 'welcome to the such and such nationals' as the first pair is rolling through
the waterbox.
what i really like to see is the engines coming to life almost immediately
following the last note of the anthem.

I always thought "FIRE EM UP" was the official Drag Racing quote. Then after an oildown it is "FIRE the NEXT PAIR"... But I ain't complaining.. I'm just glad to see it on TV with Same Day coverage. :)

I'm with you guys regarding the National Anthem. I have so many memories from Indy, on Monday morning, just as the song is ending you hear the whine of the blowers spinning over, and everyone going nuts. Man, it give sme chills writing about it...

just play the anthem/s and light the first pair. let the announcer say something
like 'welcome to the such and such nationals' as the first pair is rolling through
the waterbox.
what i really like to see is the engines coming to life almost immediately
following the last note of the anthem.

if you think its neat to see, try sitting in a car in the water box as the first pair. they do this at division 1 races and i have been lucky enuff to be in the first pair before. it makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up with the moment.

I always loved going to the Aussie Nationals at Calder Park in the 1990's - as soon as the last notes of the national anthem finished the first pair of fuelers would start up and the F111 fighter jet would do a flyover at about 500 feet with the afterburner on .....awesome.

Mark.

I've been around drag racing for over 40 years as a photojournalist, and over all of those years the most exciting starts began like this:

PUSH STARTS

When there were really sharp people running the show the drivers would be strapped in, ready to go. About three quarters of the way through the National Anthem someone back by the cars would simply yell "Go!" and the push trucks would take off. If the timing was perfect, both cars would light and make the turn out onto the track at the second the Anthem ended.

(Oldsters may also remember that during qualifying, when there was a set curfew, you'd get to run if your engine was running when the gun sounded. I remember numerous races with three and even four pairs of cars lit, engines rumbling, behind the starting line, awaiting their turn as the curfew time aproached. Now that was cool!)

ROLLER STARTERS

Almost the same thing. The rollers would begin turning over BEFORE the Anthem was finished, the engines would light as it ended and the race was ready to begin.

TODAY

If and this is a big IF we could eliminate the monstrous crowd of needless hangers-on gathered around the starting line, someone couuld signal the crew chiefs to start spinnin' 'em over BEFORE the Anthem ended, and they'd be rolling into the water within seconds of the last notes fading away.

That's in a perfect world, of course, NOT the one we live in!

Jon Asher

somewhat related; and maybe this happens at other nat. events.......
yesterday i'm standing on the bleacher catwalk (top row) trying to listen
to not only the end of opening ceremonies, but as both anthems
were sung......
a) couldn't hear them as mic. was turned too low
b) parachutists were in air, but stunt plane was hired to fly cirlces around
them, so as they neared ground the drone of plane drown out all else
(stunt plane had "LUCAS" painted across top of wing)
c) and to boot, the stupid (yes, stupid) powerade display/gimic/reaction time
whatever the hell it is, is set up rite behind the bleachers blaring music
and the guy on the mic. trying to make it sound like people are actually
having fun:eek:

here's my point - drag races are noisy, but the sunday morning start
should be the juxtaposition of anthems only (no other sounds) and
the first pair rolling just thereafter.
I thought yesterdays multiple noises and advertising during both
the Canadien and American athems were in very poor taste.

Ahhh, my favorite part of a raceweekend:
Sunday morning singing(by a female singer) of the National anthem and the cars lite. The best!!!
I wish ESPN2 would start off the Sunday broadcast with it!

The "gentlemen, start your engines" caught me off gaurd.

Immediately thought: "This ain't nascar" :confused:

Yeah, agreed, that plane shoulda been quiet for the anthem.

Anyways, here is a short vid I shot at the finals last year:

YouTube - Skydiver, Star Spangled Banner NHRA finals '06 Pomona

I like the suggestions that the first pair fire just as the National Anthem ends.
However, just for the record, measuring how much the Lucas family has done for our sport and, considering what a wonderful person Charlotte Lucas is; I am glad she had the honor of starting the event.
Cheers,
Ed

Isn't it funny......no matter how many times you've heard a Nitro car, there's just something about hearing them turn over right after the anthem.

Isn't it funny......no matter how many times you've heard a Nitro car, there's just something about hearing them turn over right after the anthem.

Absolutely! I don't want to repeat my other post but there is NO other experience like that. Too me the anthem is obviously very powerful on it's own. However to experience the anticipation of what follows while standing there is simply awesome. Then to actually hear the spinning starters and feel the nitro is the summit.

I also agree with shutting down any other music, etc... during the anthem but that's another topic entirely.

Maybe they should take the UFC and Big John McCarthy's traditional start to any bout....

big_john.jpg

Rick Stewart could point to one car and growl "YOU READY?", point to the other and growl "YOU READY?" and when they both acknowledged he could yell "LET'S GET IT ON!"

After all, Rick does love a little drama!!

I enjoyed the way the race started on ESPN. I like 'Gentlemen start your engines'
It's classy. IT's not NASCAR. I think they should keep doing it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back