"gentlemen start your engines" (1 Viewer)

smarttoday.jpg

Thanks Randy, I just blew my Pepsi out my nose again! Gonna have to keep a sheet of viz-kween over my whole desk! Now I got a sideache from laughing.

Thanks Asher. I can always count on you to make me yearn for those days of push starts and turn arounds behind the starting line. It just seemed to add more drama to have two loaded nitro cars going by on the fire up road with the drivers whacking the throttle to keep 'em cleaned out! Nothing better than two on the line; two in the water and two more on the fire up road at 5:59:59 p.m. at Bakersfield on Saturday afternoon! To heck with saying ANYTHING!

Then Sunday morning that first pair coming down the fireup road at 50 mph (usually cold at the beginning of the first round) and just before they staged Dave Zeuschel about 50 feet off the ground in his P51 Mustang with that bit$h firewalled at 500 mph. Now THAT'S the way to open a race!

Ladies and Gentlemen " Bring Em to the line " !
That denotes that we have a line as opposed to followig a pace car.
Nothing against NASCAR [ watching them makes me dizzy ] but the separation is a good thing if you want to compete.
That said John and Larry better practice saying countdown instead of The Chase.
You know what everyone is saying in the trailers.

Do any of you oldtimers remember Indy in about 73 or 74 they ran Dave Anderson and the Pollution Packer after the top fuel final. It began with the theme to 2001...played through the whole thing then just at it's majestic conclusion Dave blasts off and runs a then unheard of 4.77 @ 344mph (or something close to that). Man, you wanna talk about chills up the spine! And I believe when he reached the end of the stands that a wind gust put him in the other lane. God rest his soul, but that guy had B*LLS! I remember back then they always ran a couple jets after the finals. Cool beans! bOb

first off, i am thankful for everything that the Lucas family has and is doing for the sport. but if we are going to separate ourselves from NASCRAP, we can at least not steal their starting line slogan or whatever.

(for those of you that don't remember, charlotte lucas was the master of ceremonies and began the race with "gentlemen start your engines")

Those words were used at IMS long before NASCAR existed. As far as I'm concerned, Charlotte can say whatever the hell she wants to start a drag race! I often use "Fire 'em Up" in my posts and it might be pretty cool for a celebrity (or a person who is the title sponsor of the race AND the sponsor of the entire sportsman series) to use a phrase unique to drag racing.

No words.... Just actions. Anthem, spinning starters and nitro cackle! Much much greater "cool" factor!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back