Gary Densham 4.86 @ 309 in Australia (1 Viewer)

Bluey

Nitro Member
Gary Densham ran in the second round of qualifying at Willowbank Raceway in Queensland.
4.86 (first 4 sec. FC pass in Oz)
309 (first 300 mph FC pass in Oz)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Michael, is the lighting at WB that bad, or is that the Vid? Also I love the way the scoreboard animates, that's cool!

Thanks for sharing Michael, is the lighting at WB that bad, or is that the Vid? Also I love the way the scoreboard animates, that's cool!

No probs bro. Wish I didn't live over the otherside of the country. Would have been great to see. I have not been to Willowbank personally, but I have always thought that the lighting was pretty poor. Is a lot less bright then my home track, and WSID. Though Willowbank really do a great job with their track prep.

For those that care Gary yet again ran another .86 this time a 4.863 @ 310.13 and sets both
ends of the Australian FC record.

Congrats to The Teach, Joanne and the whole Densham crew for setting the Australian record :)

For those that care Gary yet again ran another .86 this time a 4.863 @ 310.13 and sets both

Congrats to The Teach, Joanne and the whole Densham crew for setting the Australian record :)

1320 ft.WOW ! How many drivers died during this event ? Why didn't Light and Compton fly down there and put an end to all the carnage ? How could PRO allow this to happen ? 1000 ft. and "The Countdown"....whatever !

1320 ft.WOW ! How many drivers died during this event ? Why didn't Light and Compton fly down there and put an end to all the carnage ? How could PRO allow this to happen ? 1000 ft. and "The Countdown"....whatever !

I know right? That’s why I loved reading Vandergriffs piece on Comp Plus... People seem to have missed the point, like some of the Mater posters, and have thought that 1000ft saves the teams money, but have totally forgot why the decision was made (A knee jerk one at that) There is nothing wrong with 1320, it's like I've said in the past, it's the track facilities that need to be fixed, and I'm not just talking about just a sand trap, I'm talking about the scoreboards that killed Nix in Dallas, light posts all that jazz. I had this very same discussion with Tony Smith. There is a lot you can do to fix the tracks. Accidents can happen at 330, 660 and still be nasty. 1000ft is not safer, it's exactly the same. Pro 1000 footers you can shoot me down if you will. But you won’t change my mind. There is nothing wrong with racing to 1320, and I'm glad we still do it down under.

I think the reason this thread has lacked in response to Gary and his teams great feats down here is because it's not 1000ft and he's not John Force :p

Oh and Mike, there was one incident on the weekend, in the TA final, Steve Reed in his FC, got a bit loose, then the engine let go, shooting him into the opposite lane and hitting the wall at a 45 degree angle before going back into his lane and collecting the wall, with the car on fire in the breaking area. Luckily Steve got out ok. Yes it happened before a 1000ft. proving my point that accidents can and sadly will still happen. Other than that Mike, the racing was safe.

Oh Gary later ran another four, a 4.88 at 310.56. Wish I was there to see it in person.

Michael

YouTube - Steve Reed crash

The TA crash.

Luckily as I stated before Steve got out of the car. Sure looked nasty though. :(

Thanks Michael ! I know some on here will call me a 55 year old cry-baby but I've been so in love with the sport since I watched Garlits and Ivo match race in the very early 70's. RACING IS DANGEROUS ! Thank the nitro gods that there are still places that race the full 1320 ! Oh...and Gary Densham ROCKS !

That as big of an Alcohol FC explosion i've seen in a long time. :eek:

I think the body coming off was the Best thing that could've happened though! Looked like he broke a crank or something, that thing just erupted!

BTW, how many Reed's are there in Australia anyway? Seems like there's a Reed driving in every class!

I think the body coming off was the Best thing that could've happened though! Looked like he broke a crank or something, that thing just erupted!

BTW, how many Reed's are there in Australia anyway? Seems like there's a Reed driving in every class!
There is Reed's (Steve and Debbie in TA, and 'Pommie' Steve in Top Fuel) then there are Read's (Phil, Jim in Top Fuel). Confusing, I know.

Joe; depends on the spelling:)

Steve, Debbie and son Daniel REED

Jim,sons Bruce and Phil READ

Steve (know as the Pom) READ

Not counting all the rest outside of drag racing.

There also used to be a Jim REID...

And to keep it going, 'Pommie' Steve READ's father in the UK was ... Jim READ (different one...).

There was also a bad fire from Ash Bailey in a Nitro FC.

From Fuel_Coupe at the Dragster.com.au forums

Ash received a few minor burns on his hand and a massive one to his wallet, other than that he’s ok. The car is a different story, the engine blew at about the thousand foot mark, got a rod out , put an intake valve thought the valve cover, destroyed a head, and blew the blower casing apart. The windscreen was split in two, the front has a split about a quarter of the way across and the back is badly burnt.

This one week after the other Bailey's owned car done a clutch.

Congrats to the team, they did a great job, and probably had a lot of fun doing it.
4.86@310 is a STOUT pass, and I didn't notice any mixing of the cylinders towards top-end. What are the chances this was a "decent but no set on kill" tuneup without the rev limiter.

Would they even put the limiter on it for racing outside of NHRA? I doubt it.

I'd guess that he could have made several more runs without hurting anything.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back