GA and Jason (1 Viewer)

Big John

Nitro Member
They dot seem to be running as good as they did when they had the long fire out the tail pipes. After burner has ben shut off. :(

I would still hold off sending out invitations to the "Team Summit's lost it edge" party. GA said if you don't have everything right, any of the 16 qualified cars can send you packing.

Something has definitely happened with Team Summit.

I haven't seen one of the Summit cars turn the tires as hard off the line as GA's did in that second round run for a long time.

Regarding the Summit/KB Racing Pro Stock team, I think some are missing the point when it comes to their performance over the last few races.

By their own admission, KB Racing hurt a number of their top-performing engines, and are working with powerplants that aren't putting out the numbers. In that light, the wise strategy for the Countdown may put the KB team in more of a 'Sustain and Recover' mode than one of R&D. While they may be attempting to refine some new combinations, I fully expect the Summit/KB teams to run the balance of the Western Swing on second-shelf engines, while work continues back in Mooresville on their most promising jewels.

Their drop in trap speed supports this. And although they aren't qualifying near their traditional #1/2 fashion, they're maintaining pace with the most competitive class in Drag Racing.

When the Countdown begins at the US Nationals, several teams may find themselves in the precarious position of having exhausted their stable of top-notch powerplants, with little [to no] fresh development left for post-Indy races...or the Countdown. And while there may not be a significant difference in the power output, most teams have one or two engines that consistently provide 15-20 additional horsepower over the others...no matter how much time and effort has been spent trying to make each one identical. The freshening of a competitive Pro Stock engine is no simple procedure.

My money is on KB racing hitting the ground running for the Countdown with fresh, fast bullets. And kicking ass.

there's mo sense in building up some crazy lead anymore. Greatness is no longer needed, wanted or allowed in the new championship format. In fact I don't see why they don't take a race off and allow the team an extra week of rest. I would think a fresh team would be a benefit rolling into the later part of the season

there's mo sense in building up some crazy lead anymore. Greatness is no longer needed, wanted or allowed in the new championship format. In fact I don't see why they don't take a race off and allow the team an extra week of rest. I would think a fresh team would be a benefit rolling into the later part of the season

Excellent point PJ. There's nothing wrong with making sure your top bullets are fresh. They won't be able to take a race off, as their sponsor wouldn't appreciate the lack of 'awareness' and marketing.

I realize this will probably start a fire storm with you, but the Countdown certainly does level the playing field...especially in Pro Stock. Underfunded, but talented guys like Stanfield, Morgan (and others) now have a chance. Otherwise, this would shape up to be the most boring Pro Stock campaign ever. With the old format, there's no way anyone would have caught GA. Now eight racers will have a chance, not just one incredibly talented and richly funded team. Thank God for that!

it seems team kb are rattling the tires a lot ,missing the set-up and a whole bunch of wheel speed down low, i wonder if gregs car and chassis itself has seen better days? they make a ton of 60 ft shots @ mooresville and testing during the week. that car probably has twice the runs on it than any other out there except for the yellow cars. either greg better call up rick jones and get a new GTO fast or hes testing. it was just wierd greg running a 65 in rd 1 the shaking the tires rd2. puzzling but i wouldnt count them out at all!

Personally, I think they just mis-read the race track. Of all the race tracks on the circuit, Seattle is the easiest to mis-read. That track changes by the minute.

Pat

I see things more like PJ.
Why on earth wouldn't they test everything on the table? They have absolutely nothing to lose since the position in the chase is secure and additional points mean more to throw away after Indy? Try everything. Put up curtains and run anything that might have any positive effect on performance. This is the ultimate testing conditions and every time you go out early, you've gained a stealth advantage with your "top shelf" setup come time to count again.

I doubt these guys are really in any sort of trouble. I call rope-a-dope!

I don't understand WHY they have to test. How many wins and top qualifiers did Summit have last year and this year? Why would you need to test? You run low ET of almost every event.

That seems foolish to me. But hey, I'm usually wrong on a lot of stuff.

among other things that they may be testing, my money is on improving
60 ft. times. - when they're on, they usually out mph everyone else,
but sometimes the rest of the field was not too far behind in e.t.;
which leads me to believe they mite be trying to improve the early part
of the run.
just my .02 guess.
rope-a-dope.......that's perfect.;)

If they're as good as advertised,why do they have to test now? I thought about the rope a dope but I can just about guarantee you that GA wants the most wins in P/S so bad,he'd never give up a win to test during a race. Sure,they might try something but I would say the shock rule clarification has caught up with them. Think about it,they have shook the tires,got out of the groove,aborted more runs etc. since the clarification. They use to hit the setup everytime and now, it appears they hit it but not as often. They made the rest of the class work harder and spend more money too and time will tell what's up,right?

I wouldn't write them boys off just yet. Greg ran a .65 in eliminations I wouldn't say the performance is lacking. Come indy Greg will be on his game.
But Im a K. Johnson fan so go get em kj

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back