Fuller Uses Career-best Run To Qualify Second At Pomona (1 Viewer)

FULLER USES CAREER-BEST RUN TO QUALIFY SECOND AT POMONA

CHANDLER, Ariz. (Feb. 24, 2007) – Rod Fuller will defend his CSK Nationals title from the No. 2 qualifying position after using a personal-best lap to record the second quickest pass of the weekend, 4.471 seconds, at Firebird International Raceway. The three-time NHRA winner carded the quickest and fastest run of his career during the first qualifying session of the weekend.

Entering the second race of the 2007 NHRA schedule ranked third in the POWERade standings, Fuller used a tune-up from crew chief Rob Flynn to clock a performance of 4.471 seconds at 331.61 mph in his Valvoline dragster. It was his fourth 4.4-second elapsed time of the season. On his final qualifying attempt, he blasted his David Powers-owned red, white and blue rail to a run of 4.500 at 329.67 to remain second in the 16-car order. Fuller also qualified second at the season-opener at Pomona , Calif. two weeks ago en route to a semifinal finish. Last February, he qualified fifth at the Phoenix race and has won 11 consecutive rounds (Super Comp and Top Fuel) at F.I.R.

“We got the car tuned in early on,” Fuller said. “We were going for low E.T. on Saturday’s first run. I talked with Rob (Flynn) and there was no sense not to try it. We just picked the wrong time for that tune-up. I’m really confident after that 4.50 on our last run. We didn’t hurt any parts. There’s no reason we can’t win. The fans have been coming up saying I’m their pick to win. I hope they’re right.”

The Las Vegas racer will face off against No. 15 qualifier and fan favorite “Aussie” Dave Grubnic in the opening round of eliminations which begin at 11 a.m. (ET) at the Arizona facility. Last season, Fuller defeated Melanie Troxel in the final round to claim his second career NHRA Top Fuel victory. Three years ago, he won the Super Comp title at the CSK Nationals.

Q1 4.471 ET, 331.61 MPH No. 1
Q2 9.928 ET, 81.78 MPH No. 2
Q3 12.013 ET, 75.94 MPH No. 2
Q4 4.500 ET, 329.67 MPH No. 2

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back