Freezing in Phoenix????? (1 Viewer)

"Dr. Dirt"

Nitro Member
Yes, it's true. Tonight our low will actually freeze and I even had to put a coat on when I just covered all the tender plants around the house. I know, I know, many of you all have it much worse for the entire winter but most of your neighbors are here for the winter anyway. It's only a quick cold spell since next week our low will again be 50 degrees. It's just a real shocker when we can't wear our patented shorts and t-shirts all the time. I have no idea how you "Real Winter" people do it? My wife and I tried it in our first year of marriage and we'll never do that again.

My hat's off to you who weather tough winters.

Last edited:
Ha! I guess it's your turn to come THIS way to warm up!

Delivering cabinets in the northeast every week just makes me appreciate getting back to our moderate temps here. :) They're not moderate to the locals here who don't know what cold is! :D It's all relative. What's fun is Shirley being from Jersey. We CONSTANTLY battle with the thermostat, including stealth, covert "bump it a couple degrees and hope she doesn't notice" walk by missions. I'll put my hand right over it, leaning up against the wall during a conversation and move it a little without her seeing! :D

Already had to pour a little alcohol in my air lines the other week in Mass when a little ice formed in an air drier after it's heating element stopped working, causing my air to stop building.

HA!.....we aint supposed to see temps above 35 here in the Chi for the next 10 days.....3-5 inches coming our way tonight and tomorrow...but i understand cold weather is out of your element Doc....all the best

12 days to Orlando!!!! :)
Avg Temp: 76 degrees :cool:

I know the heat in the summer is more than most care to deal with but at least we can drag race every weekend of the year here in the Valley?

But, it's a "dry" heat. Right? :D

I bet 90 degrees in our humidity would have most people wanting your 100 degree days. I LOVE hot weather. Rather sweat than shiver ANYDAY! I minimally use air conditioning in the summer because it makes me more comfortable in a firesuit.

SHE, on the other hand? Besides being from Jersey, she's in her late 40s (ahem). EVERY room feels like 100 degrees to her right now, even if a window's open. I'm not kidding! :eek: I'm actually glad she's home for a week! I can thaw out! :D

Hey Doc, the second week of December I did a job in Sierra Vista, AZ and it snowed all 3 days I was there!!! And they are quite a bit South of you guys ....

Right now I am in Kissimmee, FL and it is nice and warm ... been in shirt sleeves the whole time I have been here, day or night.

Headin' back to Vegas tomorrow, been chilly there too.

Hey Doc, the second week of December I did a job in Sierra Vista, AZ and it snowed all 3 days I was there!!! And they are quite a bit South of you guys ....
South? Yes but they are at 4500 ft elevation while we are at 1200 ft. Lots of difference. Remember here in sunny Arizona we have multiple places to snow ski them come home and water ski the same day. For half a decade I took the 16-18 year olds from church to water ski on New Year's day. Elevation means a bunch!

Tucson... 3200 ft elevation... 10 miles north of the track... 30 degrees for the overnight..

Yes, it's true. Tonight our low will actually freeze and I even had to put a coat on when I just covered all the tender plants around the house. I know, I know, many of you all have it much worse for the entire winter but most of your neighbors are here for the winter anyway. It's only a quick cold spell since next week our low will again be 50 degrees. It's just a real shocker when we can't wear our patented shorts and t-shirts all the time. I have no idea how you "Real Winter" people do it? My wife and I tried it in our first year of marriage and we'll never do that again.

My hat's off to you who weather tough winters.

What are the high temperatures like? I'm going out to Phoenix for MLK weekend (mainly to get away from the cold and to see Sedona) and was hoping it'd be warm enough for shorts. Being from the northeast I never thought it got cold in Phoenix.

I have no idea how you "Real Winter" people do it?

Bobby come up to Minnesnowta and I'll show you how to survive. I have been spending most weekends outside cutting and splitting Wood. Above Zero...below Zero it doesn't matter. Just put on a pair of Carhartt Bibs and a good pair of Boots and that is all you need. Over the last week and a half we have gotten about 14 inches of snow but no real cold stuff yet.

On the real cold days in January it takes a little while for the ol'Duramax to warm up. It smokes and chugs, drop it in gear and it doesn't want to move. I love it!

Bring on the Snow and bring on the Cold, its winter and thats the way it should be...

This is starting my 3rd year here in Phoenix. I should have moved here twenty years ago. I love it, I took some family out to Rustlers Roost for dinner Sat. night. When we came out one said how cold it was. My answer was, your only in a flannel shirt. Think you could do the same in Ohio?

South? Yes but they are at 4500 ft elevation while we are at 1200 ft. Lots of difference. Remember here in sunny Arizona we have multiple places to snow ski them come home and water ski the same day. For half a decade I took the 16-18 year olds from church to water ski on New Year's day. Elevation means a bunch!

Had no idea I was at that kind of elevation, that certainly explains the weather. I flew into Tucson and drove down. It was a weird place. Fort Huachaca is basically the only business in town and there were border patrol checkpoints everywhere, as well as the border patrol blimps constantly flying overhead. I was actually asked to pull over at one of the checkpoints on AZ90 and had to open the trunk!!!

Bobby come up to Minnesnowta and I'll show you how to survive. I have been spending most weekends outside cutting and splitting Wood. Above Zero...below Zero it doesn't matter. Just put on a pair of Carhartt Bibs and a good pair of Boots and that is all you need. Over the last week and a half we have gotten about 14 inches of snow but no real cold stuff yet.

On the real cold days in January it takes a little while for the ol'Duramax to warm up. It smokes and chugs, drop it in gear and it doesn't want to move. I love it!

Bring on the Snow and bring on the Cold, its winter and thats the way it should be...
I've been told my brain has been fried from living in the 120 degree heat but it's fairly clear what has happened to yours. I've visited Minnesnowta in the summers before but no thanks on the wintertime.

I was in Phoenix for the World of Outlaws at Manzanita back about 10 years or so ago. It was in Jan/Feb I can't remember, but I had NO idea it could possibly get that Cold in Phoenix! It was FROZING!!!!!!

Tucson update... 12:30pm.. 43 outside.. 51 in the garage without the heater (knew I bought that for a reason..)... Low tonight expected to be mid 20's... Bobby- is it time for Hawaii yet?? :D

What's the old saying? Cut your wood once, warm yourself twice?

What are the high temperatures like? I'm going out to Phoenix for MLK weekend (mainly to get away from the cold and to see Sedona) and was hoping it'd be warm enough for shorts. Being from the northeast I never thought it got cold in Phoenix.

Sedona, Arizona, official tourism site of the Chamber of Commerce If you're visiting Sedona in January, be prepared for cold weather. today
It's a higher elevation. Was there in November - it was absolutely beautiful.

Yes, it's true. Tonight our low will actually freeze and I even had to put a coat on when I just covered all the tender plants around the house. I know, I know, many of you all have it much worse for the entire winter but most of your neighbors are here for the winter anyway. It's only a quick cold spell since next week our low will again be 50 degrees. It's just a real shocker when we can't wear our patented shorts and t-shirts all the time...

Hmmmm... maybe it's that global warming thing I keep hearing about. :D

There's got to be a good "hell really is freezing over" joke in here somewhere.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back