Force/Leno make an offer to buy NHRA? (2 Viewers)

Fuel Altereds, Pro Mod, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, and maybe a 10-wide street car class...replace Comp, Stock, Super Stock, and the .90 classes. A top-to-bottom total entertainment experience for each and every fan.

If you know much about Dave and his anticks on Windtunnel you know he gets a list of things to not talk about with guests and certin things that Speed wants him to avoid talking about during his show....

But... he has his phone jockeys look for people that can bring the "un-wanted" conversations to the show... all he can say is.. "the caller wanted to know.. not me".... so there is a chance the buying of the NHRA might have been a "don't ask" area with "Little Bruton".. and either he couldn't resist or ... Dave was asked to tossit out there to agravate the heads at the NHRA...lol...

Daves sneaky about those things.... loves to stir the pot.....lol

Billy

Last edited:
Leno did a corny bit with Force in 1997...I have a VHS of it somewhere. In his defense, both Pomona events take place during key ratings periods and the shows are taped during the day. So Jay getting away from the studio during the national events is next to impossible.

At this point I don't give a flying flippity flop who ends up owning the NHRA as long as the following criteria are addressed and resolved:

Reduced ticket prices.

Reduced cost of operation for the Pro teams.

A TV package that looks like it was produced in this decade.

Cooperation with the Pro teams to procure sponsors and maximize their investments.

A full-time job for Aspen and me in the seat of a couple nitro cars (FC for me, TF for her).

Uniform safety criteria for each and every member track and common sense solutions for the nitro classes.

The national event return of some fan-friendly classes and the removal of those that no one cares about.

Where does the line start...I'll offer them $1.

Funny that you mention this...was talking with my boyfriend on this issue and we both would be more then interested to take some people's jobs over at NHRA to help do those things (well most of them) for a fraction of what they pay those idiots now...and I know there is many other people that would as well. Its unfortunate they don't look at different mix of people when things aren't going very well right now... BUT thats just what I think. ;)

Funny that you mention this...was talking with my boyfriend on this issue and we both would be more then interested to take some people's jobs over at NHRA to help do those things (well most of them) for a fraction of what they pay those idiots now...and I know there is many other people that would as well. Its unfortunate they don't look at different mix of people when things aren't going very well right now... BUT thats just what I think. ;)

Mikaela, the folks at NHRA don't make as much $$$ as you may think! Sure the Suits up top make Big $$$, but the lower level employees are pretty modest.

I'd be a little uncomfortable with a guy owning and having teams compteting in it however it may be the best option out there right now.

I really don't see a problem with this, it can be done. Tony George owns the Indy Racing League and owns Vision Racing. Vision Racing fields two cars in the IRL and earlier in the year both cars failed tech inspection after qualifying. I think this shows there are no special rules for the boss's teams and it shows a series owner can compete in his own series.

Dave

I really don't see a problem with this, it can be done. Tony George owns the Indy Racing League and owns Vision Racing. Vision Racing fields two cars in the IRL and earlier in the year both cars failed tech inspection after qualifying. I think this shows there are no special rules for the boss's teams and it shows a series owner can compete in his own series.

Dave

Totally agree, Dave. The ownership having some actual applicable knowledge wouldn't hurt the NHRA one bit..........

Sean D

i'd rather see leno develop a state of the art motorsports facility in
so. cal., complete with museum for his collection.
(move winters and finals there)

Leno, once stated, that he has never touched any of the money, he's earned from The Tonight Show. He uses the money from his stand up dates. So, he definitely has the $$$.

I would be more inclined to believe Dave was trying to get a reaction and possibly a slip from Markus !
I doubt there is a long line of buyers waiting to bid it up.

HD Partners sure detected something that sent them down the road.
You got to admit Racers are like cats , hard to herd !

Fuel Altereds, Pro Mod, Top Dragster, Top Sportsman, and maybe a 10-wide street car class...replace Comp, Stock, Super Stock, and the .90 classes. A top-to-bottom total entertainment experience for each and every fan.

Maybe you need to pitch this idea to Ken Feld. They're in the entertainment business. By the way you forgot the wheelstanders and jet powered anythings:p FYI. JF today denied any such plan to BB.

Sure was fun to talk about for less than 24 hours, huh?

Super Stock as a whole...but I'd keep the SS/AH and open up the remnants of SS/AA to include Fords and Chebbies as well. Heads up!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back