Force/Leno make an offer to buy NHRA? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
With Marcus Smith (Bruton's son) sitting with him, Dave Despain said he heard John Force and Jay Leno have made an offer to buy NHRA! - :eek:

I am NOT making this up. Can't imagine Dave would say this if there was not some credible source. Marcus was clearly stunned.
Would have run this through the Dirt section, but there was no doubt what Dave said. WOW!

Leno is leaving the Tonight Show next spring. (if I remember correctly) Maybe he's looking for something to do after he leaves the show?

This thread should get interesting!

The National Force Leno- Hot Rod Association

werks for me;):)

d'kid

Last edited:
This makes for quite the interesting topic but I doubt its true, although I really would like it to be! :D

Hey...stranger things have happened. Prolong owned IHRA for a short time...now The Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus now owns it. With a combination of Force's and Leno's name recognition imagine the corporate attention such an alliance could demand.

I'd be a little uncomfortable with a guy owning and having teams compteting in it however it may be the best option out there right now.

Something tells me it was just dave having fun

With Marcus Smith (Bruton's son) sitting with him, Dave Despain said he heard John Force and Jay Leno have made an offer to buy NHRA! - :eek:

The rest of what Dave DeSpain said was NHRA'S reply...."sorry, we already have an offer on the table"

Windtunnel airs again in the morning at 8 AM CST........check it out.:)

I've been hearing that ABC's been lobbying Leno to start up a late night talk show to compete with both the Tonight show, and David Letterman! But I've seen a couple of people who have worked on the Tonight show with Leno, and they say he's NEVER been to Pomona for the Drags, ever! He did do a stunt with Mark Pawuk about 10-12 years ago, but that was before the races even begun.

The rest of what Dave DeSpain said was NHRA'S reply...."sorry, we already have an offer on the table"

Windtunnel airs again in the morning at 8 AM CST........check it out.:)

Apparently, that offer is not from the Smiths' organization. So . . . who is behind the offer on the table or was Dave "just having fun"? Hmmmm

Leno did a corny bit with Force in 1997...I have a VHS of it somewhere. In his defense, both Pomona events take place during key ratings periods and the shows are taped during the day. So Jay getting away from the studio during the national events is next to impossible.

At this point I don't give a flying flippity flop who ends up owning the NHRA as long as the following criteria are addressed and resolved:

Reduced ticket prices.

Reduced cost of operation for the Pro teams.

A TV package that looks like it was produced in this decade.

Cooperation with the Pro teams to procure sponsors and maximize their investments.

A full-time job for Aspen and me in the seat of a couple nitro cars (FC for me, TF for her).

Uniform safety criteria for each and every member track and common sense solutions for the nitro classes.

The national event return of some fan-friendly classes and the removal of those that no one cares about.

Where does the line start...I'll offer them $1.

Apparently, that offer is not from the Smiths' organization. So . . . who is behind the offer on the table or was Dave "just having fun"? Hmmmm

I'd almost bet that there will be an announcment next weekend at Charlotte !!
Marcus kind of skirted around saying NO we aren't involved. I think maybe they are.
Whoever it is PLEASE dump Dallas Gardner,Tom Compton and Gray Ham Light !!!

Ashley Force was on the tonight show almost exactly a year ago, and Jay talked about drag racing like he had more than just a passing interest. And he talked about "her dad" like he really knew John. John's been on the show more than a couple of times.

Don't know if this rumor has legs, but Leno has more money than a lot of folks along with a deep love of cars, and he has shown a willingness to spend vast quantities of the former on the latter.

My mistake--didn't see this thread when I started mine--Mods, feel free to delete my thread on the same subject. Sorry about that guys

Yeah, I about fell out of my chair when DeSpain mentioned the Force/Leno deal--In the past, Despain has not been known for passing no substance rumors..I found it interesting that there has been absolutely no mention of it here, so if it is true, it must be the most closely guarded secret since the atom bomb....It will really be interesting to see what follows..

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back