Did John Force Really Buy a Drag Strip ? (1 Viewer)

jpee

Nitro Member
Force buys Summit Motorsports Park

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Courtesy Summit Motorsports Park
4/1/2008

In a surprise announcement, John Force revealed that he has finished negotiations to buy Summit Motorsports Park from the Bader family.

"Yes, it's true," said the drag racing legend in an April 1 press conference at his drag racing shop in Yorba Linda, Calif. "It's a lot of work driving these old Castrol GTX hot rods, but it's time to expand. I'm going to run my own dragstrip!"

Force will have the title of president of Summit Motorsports Park, and Force's daughter Ashley will assume the title of vice president effective April 1.

Bill Bader Jr., in attendance at this morning's press conference, wished Force the best of luck. "We feel John is best suited to continuing the long-standing traditions at the track as well as representing our sponsor, Summit Racing."

Although Force will continue in NHRA competition, he did reveal he'll fit in even more competitive driving related to one of the changes being made at the Norwalk track. "We look forward to the Night Under Fire each August, and it's a lot of fun to come out and see all the fans. It's the world's largest single-day drag race, you know. Anyway, one thing we're going to do is we're going to hold the Night Under Fire once a month just to give the fans more of an opportunity to come out and see some racing. And I'm going to race in every last one of them." The Night Under Fire will now be held seven times in 2008, beginning in April and continuing through the K&N Halloween Classic/Night Under Fire in October.

Force is in sixth place in NHRA POWERade Funny Car points. Ashley is in fifth, and John Force Racing teammates Robert Hight and Mike Neff are in fourth and 13th place, respectively.

Tom Compton, president of NHRA, wished Force good luck. "John is obviously a great competitor. Summit Motorsports Park is a great facility, and we're sure he'll be as effective running the track as he is running down the track. We look forward to working with John at the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals."

When Bader was asked at the press conference about his future plans, he replied, "My dad [Bill Bader Sr.] and I have booked an African safari. Right after today's April 1 press conference, we're heading to LAX airport and flying nonstop to Kenya. We're really looking forward to it."

Or is it "April Fools Joke ?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back