Events that Matter in NHRA's Mindset (1 Viewer)

I love how people consider pricing to demand to be "gouging". If they lowered the price in times of weak demand, would you complain?

A smart business person prices their product according to costs, supply, demand, competition, etc. When they discuss the wonderful economic impact to the community of having one of these events (injected $xx million into the local economy) it's all about the "gouging" to which you refer...

I love how people consider pricing to demand to be "gouging". If they lowered the price in times of weak demand, would you complain?

A smart business person prices their product according to costs, supply, demand, competition, etc. When they discuss the wonderful economic impact to the community of having one of these events (injected $xx million into the local economy) it's all about the "gouging" to which you refer...

definition....pay close attention....."pricing above the market price when no alternative retailer is available."

yes, we understand markets, and summer versus winter prices and supply and demand....but this is about exceptional costs, costs we know to be out of range....so yeah, sticking by the "price gouging" comment :)

ps....returning to the thread....NHRA's mindset...

Last edited:
It is a shame considering E-Town will forever have a place in NHRA history. Just off the top of my head...
1976? - Jungle Jim wins his only NHRA funny car national event.
1986 - Big Daddy suffers the first blowover
1990 - Chuck Etchells picks up his first career funny car win.
1991 - Tom McEwen wins his final top fuel race late into the night driving for Jack Clark and Budweiser picks up the Pro Stock Challenge and moves it to Englishtown.
1992 - 300mph! Only the second time in history it has ever been done. The King of Speed lays a monster saturday night run.
1993 - Warren and Kurt Johnson stage the 2nd ever father son pro stock final. John Force becomes the third funny car driver to win 5 in a row. Rance McDaniel makes his first? career final, only to have the reverser break and give Kenny Bernstein the win.
1994 - Pro stock history is made by Kurt Johnson... 6.98! Can it get better? Michael Brotherton runs an astonishing 4.69! Gary Bolger makes his first ever funny car final for the independent Dale Creasy Tyrant team and has the throttle cable break on the line. Pat Austin stops Don Prudhomme gunning for a win in his final E-town race during the Final Strike tour.
1995 - Larry Dixon sets low et of the world at 4.66, and Al Hofmann runs 306mph in a funny car! All in the magical night qualifying session. Bob Glidden wins his 85th and final pro stock race. First race after the infamous dodge boys break in.
1996 - Bob Glidden wins the DuPont Pro Stock Challenge, his last win of any kind to date as a driver.
1997 - Darrell Alderman makes an emotional return to victory lane 2 years after the Wayne County break in with a new Team Mopar headed by Dale Eicke. Kenji Okazaki becomes the first Japanese national to win in funny car and Cristen Powell scores an unlikely top fuel win. (Youngest ever? I forget)
1998 - Night time qualifying and the fastest speed ever is recorded! 323mph! But wait.. it's in a funny car! John Force betters the feat in the final round leaving with a 323.89mph speed record.
2000 - Terrible weather pushes the event to September and Cruz Pedregon picks up his first win in over 2 years.
2003 - Brandon Bernstein breaks his back in a hard crash, pulling father Kenny back out of retirement.
2003 - Greg Anderson heads into the 6.60's in Pro Stock during the Dominator Duel (or whatever it was called then)
2008 - It is definitely a lowlight but Scott Kalitta makes his final quarter mile run here, it's also a run that changes the face of NHRA history causing the track to drop to 1,000 feet.

Obvioulsy I remember the 90s more than anything, but there were plenty of moments in the 70's, 80's and 00's. Either way Raceway Park SHOULD be higher on the list and should NOT lose a race date.

Greg Ran the 6.60 in 2003 on the Sat, then on Sunday, I was there on the Friday and remembered that only 1 pair of FC went down the track before the rains came, Terry Haddock had a problem also contributed to the 1 pair.

Also to note,
1989 Dick LaHaie won Top Fuel with major Back Problems
1999 was the last time Pro Stock Truck ran at the nationals, Mike Coughlin won that one.
2001 CT racer Eric Lourie won his first national event in an Upset filled TAFC beating Scott Woodington in the finals
2006, First all 6.60 Pro Stock Field
2007. Angelle Made the First 6.80 Pro Stock Motorcycle Run Sat Afternoon
2010: The First ever all 5 Second Pro Mod Field
Last Year: The First Ever all 6 Second Pro Stock Motorcycle Field
The First ever Legal 5.70 Pro Mod Runs happened with Melanie Running 5.771 with the Turbo Vette and Mike Castellana running 5.78 in R1 beating Khalid AlBalooshi Giving E-Town the title of being the first track to have the first 5.70 runs not only in these 2 runs in a "Legal Pro Mod" but in 2008 at the Shakedown Scott Cannon made the first 5.70 Doorslammer run ever, driving a Pro Outlaw (Basically Pro Extreme) car.
Plus Rambo Doubled Up Last year.

Basically last year was really good (Although I think the Night Session should've been more legit, the event ended at 8:30pm EDT)

It does deserve more respect and push, do a TRUE Night Session Friday and the earlier Evening session (Nitro 7pm) Sat.

Gainesville I heard is bad, but I know from E-Town and Reading being my 2 hometown's E-Town is pretty awful at the hotel thing unless you wanna stay 20-30 mins south like i have. Reading is cruel. So hard to get there cause it's almost secluded and either have good money for a hotel or make the 3 hour trip home after a day at the track.

I usually stay at either the East Brunswick Days or the Courtyard in Cranbury (I actually bumped into Kurt Johnson hanging out in the lobby there a few years ago). Courtyard is more expensive but very good, I always like staying there despite the pricing (plus they have Comcast Cable so I can get Raceway Park TV Commercials For the Nationals (or Thrill shows if it's in a week or two) while Watching Speed or ESPN2) The East Brunswick Days is obviously cheaper, plus you got a Hooters There ;)

Last year I stayed at the Motel 6/Studio 6 In East Brunswick and got friggin dicked with the price, I paid cheap and then found out it was more expensive and NO free WiFi. :mad:

about the brainerd race; keep hearing over the years how the local hotel
industry soaks the participants with inflated rates; this is unfortunate.
does this happen anywhere else?

The hotels and resorts in the Brainerd lakes area have 4 big weekends per summer... Memorial weekend, Fourth of July weekend, NHRA Nationals weekend, and Labor Day weekend. During those weeks there is usually a minimum of either 3 or 4 night stay and also an inflated price per night. I guess they gotta make as much money as possible when they can to help make it through the slow season.

On a side note: I have a 2 bedroom condo at the track during the NHRA Nationals that I'm looking to sublease this year if anyone is interested. :D

I 'coulda sword Kurt Johnson made the first 6 Second Pro-Stock run - I know it was SOMETHING big 'cause I was there.

AmI getting senile? Mis-remembering?

Greg Ran the 6.60 in 2003 on the Sat, then on Sunday, I was there on the Friday and remembered that only 1 pair of FC went down the track before the rains came, Terry Haddock had a problem also contributed to the 1 pair.

Also to note,
1989 Dick LaHaie won Top Fuel with major Back Problems
1999 was the last time Pro Stock Truck ran at the nationals, Mike Coughlin won that one.
2001 CT racer Eric Lourie won his first national event in an Upset filled TAFC beating Scott Woodington in the finals
2006, First all 6.60 Pro Stock Field
2007. Angelle Made the First 6.80 Pro Stock Motorcycle Run Sat Afternoon
2010: The First ever all 5 Second Pro Mod Field
Last Year: The First Ever all 6 Second Pro Stock Motorcycle Field
The First ever Legal 5.70 Pro Mod Runs happened with Melanie Running 5.771 with the Turbo Vette and Mike Castellana running 5.78 in R1 beating Khalid AlBalooshi Giving E-Town the title of being the first track to have the first 5.70 runs not only in these 2 runs in a "Legal Pro Mod" but in 2008 at the Shakedown Scott Cannon made the first 5.70 Doorslammer run ever, driving a Pro Outlaw (Basically Pro Extreme) car.
Plus Rambo Doubled Up Last year.

Basically last year was really good (Although I think the Night Session should've been more legit, the event ended at 8:30pm EDT)

It does deserve more respect and push, do a TRUE Night Session Friday and the earlier Evening session (Nitro 7pm) Sat.

I 'coulda sword Kurt Johnson made the first 6 Second Pro-Stock run - I know it was SOMETHING big 'cause I was there.

AmI getting senile? Mis-remembering?

Yeah, KJ 6.98 in 1994 ( see Dave Wesolowski's above post)

I was there too, that was quite a Friday night session!

Also, same year that Bobby Lagana Sr. burnt down his Funny Car against Force in Rd. 1. :(

Last edited:
.....have a 2 bedroom condo at the track during the NHRA Nationals that I'm looking to sublease this year if anyone is interested. :D

at what other track could you be entertained by this question?
and the tiki bar is within walking distance :D, not to mention the bar
downstairs. :D:D

Last edited:
Hey Rob,

Where did you get the idea that E-town isn't one of the "Majors" anymore?

And as for the supply and demand aspect of this thread, if I have 10 guys wanting me to do their project by Friday, I'm going with the highest bidder, that's business 101. If I have no work I will lower my prices (within reason) to get work for the shop.

Alan

Hey Rob,

Where did you get the idea that E-town isn't one of the "Majors" anymore?

And as for the supply and demand aspect of this thread, if I have 10 guys wanting me to do their project by Friday, I'm going with the highest bidder, that's business 101. If I have no work I will lower my prices (within reason) to get work for the shop.

Alan

I just feel like the Attention has not quite been as good as it could be (I'm not talking about TV, USA Today etc, I'm talking the BIG Picture). That's why. Last year had good car counts and conditions, but prior to it hasn't been the best of years.

This year there's NO Alky Cars and it's not even like they'll be at the Points Race in September, NONE at All, so (in a major stat) Frank Manzo for the first time since the class was split from Pro Comp will NOT make a single pass at his home track.

Also I think E-Town has been downplayed more-so, granted part of it is because I love the Night Sessions and nowadays it's more of a Luck of the Draw Situation (aka enough stoppages that causes the Fuel 2nd session to run later) as opposed to a "pushed" attribute (Like Joliet), not to mention car counts have not been too good, although Last year's was major improvement from 2009/2010 except for Comp, this year 21 TF and 20 FCs in the Queue, Comp's already got over a 32 Car Field and HUGE Stock & Super Stock Field, Hope Pro Stock Motorcycle & Pro Mod can shoot up). Is it a little bit of Jealousy as some events get things that RP deserves? certainly. I hoped for Jet Cars or some sort of exhibition aspect that other tracks have done, True Night Sessions of Course (even a later Sat Session with the Fuel Guys final Qualifying at 7pm). I even hope for some sort of Jr Drag Racing bit for Pre Race as RP was where it was started 20 years ago.

It's a "Major" in historical precedence and IMHO it should also be pushed as one, especially being right near the Big Apple, I hope the Toyota Sponsorship is a starting Point to restoring prominence to RP and not just a 1 and done sponsor like ProCare RX, Lucas Oil, UA.org etc.

Alan as you know this will be my 20th year to the Nationals and I always like to see this event mean a lot and get cool (Pun or No Pun Intended?) moments (I believe us New Yorkers are Entitled to have the Cool Moments ;) :cool: )

E-Town will always be a major to me because it is home for me! No matter where I have lived I always come back for the National event each year.

I just feel like the Attention has not quite been as good as it could be (I'm not talking about TV, USA Today etc, I'm talking the BIG Picture). That's why. Last year had good car counts and conditions, but prior to it hasn't been the best of years.

This year there's NO Alky Cars and it's not even like they'll be at the Points Race in September, NONE at All, so (in a major stat) Frank Manzo for the first time since the class was split from Pro Comp will NOT make a single pass at his home track.

Also I think E-Town has been downplayed more-so, granted part of it is because I love the Night Sessions and nowadays it's more of a Luck of the Draw Situation (aka enough stoppages that causes the Fuel 2nd session to run later) as opposed to a "pushed" attribute (Like Joliet), not to mention car counts have not been too good, although Last year's was major improvement from 2009/2010 except for Comp, this year 21 TF and 20 FCs in the Queue, Comp's already got over a 32 Car Field and HUGE Stock & Super Stock Field, Hope Pro Stock Motorcycle & Pro Mod can shoot up). Is it a little bit of Jealousy as some events get things that RP deserves? certainly. I hoped for Jet Cars or some sort of exhibition aspect that other tracks have done, True Night Sessions of Course (even a later Sat Session with the Fuel Guys final Qualifying at 7pm). I even hope for some sort of Jr Drag Racing bit for Pre Race as RP was where it was started 20 years ago.

It's a "Major" in historical precedence and IMHO it should also be pushed as one, especially being right near the Big Apple, I hope the Toyota Sponsorship is a starting Point to restoring prominence to RP and not just a 1 and done sponsor like ProCare RX, Lucas Oil, UA.org etc.

Alan as you know this will be my 20th year to the Nationals and I always like to see this event mean a lot and get cool (Pun or No Pun Intended?) moments (I believe us New Yorkers are Entitled to have the Cool Moments ;) :cool: )

I went to E-town once, and I was very disappointed! The People are everything the stereotype of NY'ers is and more, Rude as Sh*t! One Former FC racer told me he couldn't stand the place, fans yelling at him to sign their stuff. When we were walking out to the parking lot after the finals I was walking along the shoulder like everybody else. This guy in a suburban clipped my shoulder with his side mirror, his wife Yells "Git da F**k outta da way!". I of course had choice words and a One finger salute! Never catch me back there...:mad:

As for price gouging, I ran into it once. Went to Fla. for the gators. Went a week early to site-see Fl. After a couple nites the hotel tripled the rate.
I left hotel, skipped the race, left the state. Did not spend another cent in Fl.
That was 10 yrs ago, never been back, no plans to either. So gouging can back-fire.

at what other track could you be entertained by this question?
and the tiki bar is within walking distance :D, not to mention the bar
downstairs. :D:D

Where else can you get 2 (or 3) nights spent on site for $70 - and two (or three) nights to party with friends, and drivers (big names included)? Brainerd's tv seems to be on at late or odd times every year, but what a great 3 day experience to be there live every year!

It's gotta be a favorite for drivers, officials, and crew (I've seen track officials having tons of fun in the zoo too)

I usually stay at either the East Brunswick Days or the Courtyard in Cranbury (I actually bumped into Kurt Johnson hanging out in the lobby there a few years ago). Courtyard is more expensive but very good, I always like staying there despite the pricing (plus they have Comcast Cable so I can get Raceway Park TV Commercials For the Nationals (or Thrill shows if it's in a week or two) while Watching Speed or ESPN2) The East Brunswick Days is obviously cheaper, plus you got a Hooters There ;)

Last year I stayed at the Motel 6/Studio 6 In East Brunswick and got friggin dicked with the price, I paid cheap and then found out it was more expensive and NO free WiFi. :mad:

I stayed as far out as parsippany. This year money was nice and I got myself in the Hiton in East Brunswick. It's a great place for no hassel and the usual average 150 price.

1) Indy
2) any Bruton Smith race
3) Winternationals - World Finals (tie)
4) Gatornationals
5) The rest are probably all equally (un)important to the NHRA as long as they make their money off of them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back