Eric Lane to Cruz Pedregon/Snap On team (1 Viewer)

I hope they get along and kick ass. Always loved Snap-On and love to see them represented as a top contender like they are

Everyone gives Cruz shit about his revolving door of CCs, but you have to give him credit for hanging in there year after year and keeping a sponsor.

Everyone gives Cruz shit about his revolving door of CCs, but you have to give him credit for hanging in there year after year and keeping a sponsor.

I understand and appreciate your point, Nunz, but I am actually more impressed with the fact that he continues to find guys to come in. It's common knowledge among all of us that follow the sport, so I can't help but wonder what the discussions about it are among the tribe.

Sean D

I believe Lee Beard and Rahn Tobler uncovered that table in the late 2000's. If you have a full sponsorship, IN THE LEAST, isn't it your responsibility to win a race and/or get in the countdown? To outsiders, it just looks like Cruz is fine with how ever it goes cause he still gets to make a living. 9, 12, 10, 12, 11 - The last 5 seasons do not support the argument.

I understand and appreciate your point, Nunz, but I am actually more impressed with the fact that he continues to find guys to come in. It's common knowledge among all of us that follow the sport, so I can't help but wonder what the discussions about it are among the tribe.

Sean D

Sean,

Public perception isn't always the way things really are. While it is true that Cruz has had some turnover, it's pretty rare that someone inside the business says anything bad about him. I'm not talking about his war of words with Langdon, but most of the people I know respect the fact that he continues to do it as a single car team, and his longevity with Snap-On would suggest that they are happy with what they are getting.

Alan

Sean,

Public perception isn't always the way things really are. While it is true that Cruz has had some turnover, it's pretty rare that someone inside the business says anything bad about him. I'm not talking about his war of words with Langdon, but most of the people I know respect the fact that he continues to do it as a single car team, and his longevity with Snap-On would suggest that they are happy with what they are getting.

Alan

I do remember when Lee Beard publicly chewed him out about 8 years ago

Sean,

Alan

I understand what you're saying about perception, believe me. And I don't know that I necessarily meant to imply that they "say anything bad" about him, but I find it hard to believe that with the amount of turnover he has, sometimes very quickly, that there isn't some discussion about it at least. I just can't imagine when things are at a dull roar and the fellas are indulging in some cold ones that some head shaking doesn't go on once in a while.

I will echo your words regarding what he manages to accomplish with a single-car team, as well as his retention of Snap-On. But I will go on to say that I also think he needs to reevaluate his role in the tune-up if he wants to consistently run with the top cars, especially as a one-car effort. I realize he's the team owner, but at some point you've got to step back and take a true inventory of what's going on. He's publicly stated, almost boastingly at times about his role in the tune up, especially when the car is running good. But the bottom line remains that it's been a really long time since that car has been a true threat, whether he's tuned the car exclusively or during the carousel of guys he's had in and out of there, some of which weren't there long enough to establish much of a baseline. Whether you own the car or not, there's such a thing as too many cocks in the henhouse, and my gut feeling is that has been the case with each of the crew chiefs he's had. Many of those guys, if not all were very successful running other cars, so if you're going to commit to bringing in somebody new, turn them loose, and let them establish their own personality, which doesn't happen overnight with these fuel cars. For that matter, there are guys out there that have been doing it forever and still get into ruts where they can't get a car down the track even with years of data to fall back on.

As far as the Langdon deal goes, I was actually with Cruz on that one.

Sean D

Maybe Cruz should observe how Tim Wilkerson does it. Obviously Time has his $hit together as organizing his team and being a contender for what he has as a Single car team.

If Lane was listed as the "crew chief" that would be far different to me than being the" co crew chief" IMHO from years of being around and followinng this sport,.Cruz has been around too long and is too hands on to 100% trust anyone with the tuneup on his car and history seems to have proven this out. I personally would love to see this work out and see Cruz run like the top 10 car it could be. He is a long time recognizable star in the sport and has always been accommodationg to fans from my experience. The only downside to this working out, is having to listen to Tony cheerleading even more than he does now on the broadcast.

There is usually the common Cruz interview. The car runs good: "I did a great job and got it done." The car runs bad: "We just didn't get it done." What happened to win and LOSE as a team?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back