Dual-fuel club (1 Viewer)

It's too bad there isn't a solid record bank for IHRA and AHRA to see how many others there were. Shirley and Bruce Larson are two that come to mind.

But who has won in Top Fuel and Funny Car at the SAME NHRA event? The only one I can think of is Pat Austin, although there's an asterisk beside his Double since his Funny Car was running alcohol. Still, a hell of an accomplishment.

But who has won in Top Fuel and Funny Car at the SAME NHRA event? The only one I can think of is Pat Austin, although there's an asterisk beside his Double since his Funny Car was running alcohol. Still, a hell of an accomplishment.
I don't think that is even possible, is it? I thought there was an NHRA rule that a driver cannot enter two pro classes at the same event?

I could be wrong...

Jerry Ruth won both T/F and F/C a number of times at the Div 6 races in the early 1970's. Back then, the driver could run both classes. Today, a Pro driver can run 1 Pro class & also Sportsman class. I dunno if the driver could run, say, T/F, T/D and S/C at the same race.
There was a time1961 Nationals at Indy, when 1 driver raced 2 different cars in the same eliminator. What comes to mind was a fellow named Walt Knoch, who ran the equivlent of Comp (called Junior Elim) at that race. Had an A/A & A/R (A/Roadster), both blown Chryslers, and he ended up having both cars in the final. I seem to remember he picked the altered and made a run for the win. The altered was called Walt's Puffer (cuz it was supercharged) and I had a model of it when I was a kid.
Below is a photo of the two cars.

Last edited:
I don't think that is even possible, is it? I thought there was an NHRA rule that a driver cannot enter two pro classes at the same event?

I could be wrong...
Yes, I believe the last person to enter two before that rule was Kenny Koretsky. Top fuel and pro stock. I wonder how many people tried it before the rule was put in place?

Jerry Ruth won both T/F and F/C a number of times at the Div 6 races in the early 1970's. Back then, the driver could run both classes. Today, a Pro driver can run 1 Pro class & also Sportsman class. I dunno if the driver could run, say, T/F, T/D and S/C at the same race.
There was a time1961 Nationals at Indy, when 1 driver raced 2 different cars in the same eliminator. What comes to mind was a fellow named Walt Knoch, who ran the equivlent of Comp (called Junior Elim) at that race. Had an A/A & A/R (A/Roadster), both blown Chryslers, and he ended up having both cars in the final. I seem to remember he picked the altered and made a run for the win. The altered was called Walt's Puffer (cuz it was supercharged) and I had a model of it when I was a kid.
Below is a photo of the two cars.

1688307698482.png

It's 1971 and Jerry Ruth doubled up at the Div 6 race at Deer Park, WA in AA/FD & AA/FC

Technically still possible if you count Pro Mod as a pro class (I do, it says pro in the name first of all). Rule is that you can't run two Camping World classes at the same race, but guys like Salinas, Erica, Alex Laughlin, and maybe others have run a CW class and Pro Mod at the same race. Don't think anyone's ever won both though, so if anybody does it I think they would be the first to win two pro classes in the same weekend.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back