Doug Winters wins at Bristol Super Chevy Show (1 Viewer)

Doug Winters and the Winters Racing Team won Saturday night’s Pro Mod event at Bristol Dragway during the Super Chevy Show. This just adds to the success that Doug has had at this track over his many years racing. His first national event win came at this track in 1996 when he won the Top Sportsman class at the IHRA Spring Nationals in his ’55 Hooters Chevy.

This year’s Super Chevy Show format was different from years past. There would be a winner crowned on Saturday and Sunday. Ten Pro Mods where on the property, each being paired up by a draw for the first round eliminations Saturday. Out of these five pairs, the quickest two winners would advance to the finals for title rights. Sunday, the process would repeat and another winner would be named for Sunday. Saturday’s winner was Doug. Unfortunately, Sunday the rains came canceling the event. “We would of loved to try to double up on Sunday. The car was running great and consistent. We really felt like we had an opportunity to walk away with both day titles,” said Doug on a rain soaked Sunday morning.

Super Chevy Show fans seen some great side-by-side action Saturday. Ken Walsh and Bil Clanton drew each other in the first round. Both dipped into the 3’s. Bil took the win with a 3.94 sec pass to Ken’s 3.95 sec pass moving Bil into the final. His competition would end up being Winters. Doug took the win over Jerry Hunt with a slowing 4.11 sec victory. “We were taking it easy off the start since this was our first look at the track all day. And that part worked. However, at the finish line I felt the car lay over and I backed out of it thinking we had hurt the motor.” Luckily for Doug and his Winters Racing team, they had not hurt the motor. Instead a miss configured setting in the timing retard computer lead to the top end mishap. “I just program the computer wrong. It was a big relief to my brother Allen when I found the error while he was getting ready to drop the pan to see what we had hurt. We were also lucky that the 4.11 was just enough to get us into the final.” In fact, Doug only got into the final by a few hundredths. Bobby Baucom and Troy Jordan laid down great runs to win their rounds. However, they could not match the 4.11 posted by Winters.

For the final round, Bil Clanton and his Big Money racing team had lane choice and the performance edge. “We knew Bil had ran a 3 in the first round and we knew we had to step it up if we were going to win. But we also did not want to beat ourselves by blowing the tires off at the start. So we left the starting line setup alone and just tried to apply more power down track.” The strategy worked for Doug. Bil got off the line and moved out on Doug but had to abort the run after getting to close to the centerline. Doug won the round with a 4.06 sec pass. “This seemed like old times. We were not the fastest car, but consistence won it for us. It has been a really trying year. We have broken a lot of parts and to get this win is really special. I would like to thank all my sponsors for staying with me and giving me the support throughout the year.”

Next up for Doug and Winters Racing is a couple exhibition runs during the PINKS ALL Out event at Bristol Dragway. “Brandon Cross at Bristol invited us back to participate in his PINKS ALL Out event and we are really excited that he did. Being a part of the PINKS ALL Out will be fun. We will have time to take it easy, talk to the fans, promote our sponsors and put on a good show for the fans.” Visit Bristol Dragway web site, Bristol Dragway for more event information.

Winters Racing would like to thank Lucas Oil, Rislone / Bar’s Leak, Hedman Hedders, NGK, Optima Batteries, Mickey Thompson Tires, Computech, King Engine Bearings, Chicago Pneumatic and GRP Rods for their support in 2010.

Find out more information about Winters Racing at Winters Racing

Attachments

• SCS%20Bristol%20034.jpg
    SCS%20Bristol%20034.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 85
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back