Doug Winters Four in a Row Final Rounds at Super Chevy Shows (1 Viewer)

[coverattach=1](9-28-2009) Bristol, TN - Doug Winters and the Winters Racing Team made another final round appearance this past weekend at the Super Chevy Show. This time it was at the Bristol Motor Speedway. The streak started on June 28th at the Super Chevy Show held at the zMax Dragway in Charlotte, NC. At zMax, Doug took the win in the final round. From there they went on to the finals and win at Maple Grove in July and Bowling Green in August. Out of the four finals Doug has won two. This time he lost in the final against Ken Walsh and his ’63 Corvette.

“Getting the runner up was a let down here at Bristol, but when we started thinking about it, four finals in a row is something really special, stated Doug. “It just shows how consistent our ’57 Nitro Coupe has become over the season. Working with Mickey Thompson Tires and some chassis changes, our car has really responded. Now every time I drop the clutch I expect it to make a full pass. At the beginning of the season that was not the case.”

Going into the final Super Chevy Show event for the year at Bristol, Ken Walsh had already locked up the Nitro Coupe point’s championship. But second place was still undecided. Doug came into the event in third, 15 points behind Jerry Hunt. Doug would have to make it two rounds further then Jerry to take second place. And that is exactly what happened. Unfortunately for Jerry, he lost in the first round and with Doug advancing to the final put Doug into second place by only 5 points. “It’s great to end up second this year. We ran a limited Super Chevy Show schedule and to take second place is special. Jerry worked very hard to hold on to second, but we were just a little more lucky then him down the stretch.”

This marks the end of the season for Doug and his team for 2009. “I would like to personally thank my team this year. It has been a good year, but challenging at times. My wife Erin and the rest of the team have been there all the time in the good and bad. The confidence and skills starts at the top with my crew chief Allen Winters and flows all through the team to Tyler Winters, Steve Thompson, Rick Isenhour, and Bill Hayes. They make it possible for us to compete week in and week out. The team has already started plans for next year. “We want to come out next year where we left off this year with the same consistency but with better performance. Now that we have the chassis working good we can start applying the power.” Will this mean more Nitro Methane in the tank, different supercharger on top of the engine or both? Who knows, and Doug is not saying. We will have to wait until next season to find out.

As always, the team would like to thank Chicago Pneumatic, Mickey Thompson Tires, NGK Spark Plugs, Optima Batteries, Computech Systems and Safe Jacks for their continued support.

For more information on Doug Winters and Winters Racing, please visit Winters Racing

Attachments

• Launch.jpg
    Launch.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 7
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back