Doug Herbert not racing at zMax (1 Viewer)

john

Nitro Member
Doug Herbert Podcast | rpm2night.com

just posted a podcast with Doug Herbert. Unfortunately a lack of sponsorship will keep him sidelined this weekend when the NHRA visits Charlotte.

We talk about that, his Brakes Program, the favorites in Top Fuel and how he tried to snoop around the KB Racing shop today to find out their secret to success!

At the end we re-live some good racing memories.

I think it's a good listen and would appreciate it if you have time to check it out.
JK

That was great, I've always liked Doug. I loved the part about "Eating Crow", and the "Nice Little Guy" comment towards Fuller.

Thats to bad it's as it's really tough out there. You would think his parts house could prop him up for a couple of events. TF just costs more than it's worth to advertisers and most independent racers. I know another owner that is stepping down to a sportsman program and another guy that's finally given up on looking for a ride.

Last edited:
Thats to bad it's as it's really tough out there. You would think his parts house could prop him us for a couple of events. TF just costs more than it's worth to advertisers and most independent racers. I know another owner that is stepping down to a sportsman program and another guy that's finally given up on looking for a ride.
I dont know if its true in his case or not, but there are those who COULD race on their own dime--but choose not to.

Thats to bad it's as it's really tough out there. You would think his parts house could prop him us for a couple of events. TF just costs more than it's worth to advertisers and most independent racers. I know another owner that is stepping down to a sportsman program and another guy that's finally given up on looking for a ride.

If his parts business has slowed as much as mine and most of the rest of the country, it probably couldnt stand the pressure.

I think it's bad business for the NHRA to wait for the economy and big business to come around. Even in the BEST of times, was it ever easy to find companies to underwrite a program with 1-3mil? And when the economy turns, which could take years, how fast will we see programs like that happening? And what about when guys like Connie and Shoe call it a day? The path of least resistance is to overhaul the pro classes, and make them WAY more affordable. Take a cue from the many nostalgia funny cars out there. Guys want to run nitro, very few can write a 7 figure check, every year, to go do it. And those who can, are too smart to. Don't mean to ramble, but there's an expression, "Nothing gets better by being left alone". As long as the NHRA events have full fields, the majority of the time, things will be left alone, and guys like Herbert will be parked.

I think it's bad business for the NHRA to wait for the economy and big business to come around. QUOTE]

Are you kidding? lol, that's all the nhra knows how to do, before they finally get the point way to late, but still don't know how. NHRA takes everything for granted!

see gilbertson's name on FC list - he's got the disease worse than doug :rolleyes:

how much to run a single event when you own a hauler/car/parts?
crew to get there and be there for long weekend....$15k?
another $12-15k to run the car for 3 days? maybe 6 laps?
this is without hospitality - just a car, a crew, a weber,
a couple drums of nitro and 10 cases of beer.

in my book that's a lot of moola even to race conservatively, much less
for one race..... would have been nice to see Irwin tools partner with Doug
for one race again.

slightly unrelated - very impressed with Brian Thiel's ability to
partner with various sponsors.... Case/IH Agriculture, Lucas Cattle Co.,
and most recently WilliamRast..... impressive to say the least.
quickly becoming a favorite to pull for.

Last edited:
Rich, I just read your editorial, and it wasn't brutal at all, IMO, spot on. I spend time time over at the classic FC board, and I've seen video links from guys making 5.7 sec runs and, like Bob Frey says, the crowd goes crazy! I think now is the perfect time to re-invent the sport, cut the required budgets to run these cars and watch new teams show up! As well as parked teams returning. And, the NHRA could use the return to the 1320 for a big marketing push. Many smart guys, like Garlits and Armstrong, have made it clear that with the parts available today, it would not be hard to come up with a 5.0 300mph combo that doesn't eat 3mil a year.

Rich, I just read your editorial, and it wasn't brutal at all, IMO, spot on. I spend time time over at the classic FC board, and I've seen video links from guys making 5.7 sec runs and, like Bob Frey says, the crowd goes crazy! I think now is the perfect time to re-invent the sport, cut the required budgets to run these cars and watch new teams show up! As well as parked teams returning. And, the NHRA could use the return to the 1320 for a big marketing push. Many smart guys, like Garlits and Armstrong, have made it clear that with the parts available today, it would not be hard to come up with a 5.0 300mph combo that doesn't eat 3mil a year.

let's remember the Nostalgia circuit isn't 23 races, it's like 6-8? That's a guess, but Nostalgia Fuel racing has been anointed as the Budget Fuel class! But for the NHRA to even come close to reducing costs at the Big level, they would have to make Drastic rule changes!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back