Does This Make Sense? (1 Viewer)

Well....it is definetly a double edged sword....where as you won't get the ultra hard core that won't go to the track and you will get some of the remainder of the street race rowd...the risk to the track with all this is probably the sharper of those two edges.

I say that as someone who works in construction and engineering and deals with the COVID protocol compliance on a daily basis. Bottom line is there is no easy answer and any answer isn't going to make everyone happy or be 100% correct. I was just talking to a friend of my in the Tuscon area Friday who works in Architecture and one of this issues with this is (my understanding from our discussion) is that AZ on a per capita basis is pretty much holding top spot. \

I am not up my AZ code...but guessing the track is designated as some type of assembly usage....there would be the need tp provide restrooms, etc....and the cost to attend to those, keep records of cleaning, issues, yada yada with all the COVID protocols is an astronomical - putting in context that this facility is only used time to time not on a daily basis with full time staff. Now, provisions of food etc...not required.

I think it could work if is there was definite separation between spectator (count monitored) and racer (count monitored). Here in OH...sporting events (non professional) have used these practices to try and maintain some semblance of their seasons...it has worked to a degree.

Again....this all costs $ to put on...and I am sure the policy of the track (like most businesses nowadays) don't have covid clauses in their policy (yet).

Just my 02....

Because you won't get arrested and your car won't get impounded.
They have come out to the track before, and I still believe that they would continue if they were allowed.

You won't get them all, but when the track was running regular events, Street Racing issues were not nearly as big a problem as they are now.

Alan
Exactly - Famoso has a promoter that has races basically for street cars and imports once every couple of months as well as test and tune. You can put on your window NT and it will not show on the score board. Then these guys call each other out and no one sees the time. You can see a pile of Benjamins going back and forth behind the Starting Line. They also have a Jackpot race that you can put in something like $50, winner take all. In Bakersfield since Famoso basically closed down the Friday Night /Saturday races The TV stations announce how many cars were impounded every weekend from STREET (not Drag) racing and parking lot BURNOUT contest in closed down Malls as well as SMOG infractions and equipment violations from cars just parked there and it is quite a few. Second violaters can get their cars CRUSHED and they make you watch. If you have a 30/50 thousand dollar Motor not counting the car it hurts.

While COVID is real and that there are definitely steps that need to be taken to kill this pandemic, what is troubling is the inconsistent application of the rules in this case in Tucson (and very likely elsewhere as well).

No more than 50 people at Tucson Dragway in a very large area that is out in the open, yet one sees far more than 50 in a smaller, enclosed area like Walmart, Lowe's or at a U of A basketball game.

Then there is the public safety issue stemming from street racing.

Sometimes logic leaves the building...

Because you won't get arrested and your car won't get impounded.
They have come out to the track before, and I still believe that they would continue if they were allowed.

You won't get them all, but when the track was running regular events, Street Racing issues were not nearly as big a problem as they are now.

Alan

You make great points, but they run contrary to my experience in Vegas. In Vegas, the street racers don't come out to the track because of the track environment. They had to wait in line with all of the regular racers, had to hear comments from the "real" racers about their cars, about how their street tires were messing with the track prep, and issues with tech and helmets, etc. Also, they don't really want to be identified as a street racer out in the open like that, where anybody can walk around and grab license plate numbers or take pictures and post them on social media. It is not hard to find out who the big street guys in your town are, but you still have to find them. They don't want to go to the track and advertise. It is also not the same rush doing it on the track as it is on the street. A big portion of the thrill is the illicit activity itself.

We had the same issue with street drifters. There is a HUGE underground drift scene in the Asian community in Vegas. We would turn up in the middle of the night and beg them to come out to our Vegas Drift events and they would just laugh at us. Put in a cage? Buy a helmet? Run my car thru tech? Pay an entrance fee for limited track time? All of these things are ridiculous to a street guy.

It really is a different culture and mindset between the 2 camps.

I looked at Tucson web site, nuthin'. Then NHRA, nuthin'. Finally found this on classracer.com. Ya know what is strange, Tucson is now supposed to happen Oct 8-10 and the next week, Wild Horse has a double race scheduled. Would be nice if they both happen, because Wild Horse is a regional as well, so get to see the alky cars.
Today, from NHRA:
DIVISION 7
March 19 - 21The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Regional)Las Vegas, NV
July 15 - 16Sonoma RacewaySonoma, CA
July 17 - 18Sonoma Raceway (Regional)Sonoma, CA
October 14 - 15Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park (Regional)Chandler, AZ
October 8-10Tucson DragwayTucson, AZ
October 16 - 17Wild Horse Pass Motorsports ParkChandler, AZ
November 4 - 7The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Regional)Las Vegas, NV

One big difference is the Beyond 1320 event is just for the Street Racers. Tucson Dragway has a flat shutdown area that they can race on. The "Regular" racers don't come to this event as there is no track prep, no tree, no clock at all. When Jim met with the Street Racers a couple of years ago now, he asked them flat out what they wanted.

They wanted to run on unprepped asphalt, no time, start with a flashlight, and to do their own thing. And an event was built for them. Couldn't do that at the track in Vegas with the elevated shut down area. And I wouldn't think you could do it in the pits without a barrier between the cars and the people. Tech is basic, but it is still there. Most guys with half a brain don't want to get hurt, so even if they are racing on the street, they have a helmet and harness. Not all but most.

You can't approach it with a "How can we get them to join us" attitude, you have to go to them with a "What would it take for you to bring your event to our property." The track didn't ask them to change the basics of what they are doing, just the location. If that makes sense.

Alan

We've had a problem with street drifting in Phoenix. Street racing as well. they just show up at a location & drift or race until the cops come.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back