Does This Make Sense? (1 Viewer)

none

Nitro Member

Tucson is having an outbreak of Street Racing. And Thank You to the media for getting it right calling it Street Racing. The racetrack is not allowed to host these racers because of Covid restrictions.

I'm not getting involved in the political debate, nor in the Virus debate. The track doesn't want to put 5000 people shoulder to shoulder in the stands, they want the racers to come back to the track. But they are not allowed to do so.

They have implemented shows for no prep. Shows for no time. Even a beyond 1320 where they race on the shutdown of the track to simulate conditions like those found on the street. But right now, they are limited to 50 people total on the property so they can't host the "Street Racers" and get them to compete in a controlled environment. Wouldn't that be better?

I'm typing this in black and regular font because I'm typing as citizen of Tucson, AZ. who wants the racers off of the street. The track has gone WAY above and beyond to be a good neighbor to the city and county, and to structure events specifically for the group that is now being targeted. Why not let them race on the track? Wouldn't that be better than this?

If you think I'm wrong, please tell me why.

Alan

Mr. Reinhart, I absolutely agree with you. Makes no sense. In total contrast, here in Central Florida in the next few weeks there will be the Super Bowl, Monster Truck Jam, Daytona 500, Door Slammer Nationals (which I plan to attend), the Gatornationals (which I would like to attend). Not to mention Disney World, Sea World, Universal and Legoland. Talk about your super spreader events, you know people will be elbow to elbow, not 6 feet apart and some won't be wearing a mask.
What would happen if someone gets killed because the race track turned them away, then the family gets an ambulance chasing lawyer involved and convinces a jury the death could've been avoided had said person would've been racing under many safety rules that would have saved that persons life?

Hmmm, Track volume V.S. Walmart volume, Grocery stores, standing neck and neck. I guess they have the number crunching correct.

I don’t know if this is any where near relevant; but let me tell you something I ran into early this past summer......

When dining out was shut down. Carry out ONLY. We went to this nice place we know, got our food to go; we asked the manager if we could eat on thier back patio, if we unstacked the outdoor chairs and took our trash away. You could get to the patio without going inside. He was fine with it. Nobody from the restaurant ever came out there with us; wound up being a beautiful quiet patio dinner and we had the place to ourselves.

So along those lines - What about some smaller tracks, who may be shut down right now, “mysteriously” leaving the gates open on weekends.... thereby creating an “opportunity” for people to come and drive down the track? No timing, no prep, no nothing. No electricity. A piece of property with a strip. Atleast it gets the people off the streets ???? I’m sure there’s drawbacks galore in that theory ..... but I’m wondering if some smaller facilities might try it???

I don’t know if this is any where near relevant; but let me tell you something I ran into early this past summer......

When dining out was shut down. Carry out ONLY. We went to this nice place we know, got our food to go; we asked the manager if we could eat on thier back patio, if we unstacked the outdoor chairs and took our trash away. You could get to the patio without going inside. He was fine with it. Nobody from the restaurant ever came out there with us; wound up being a beautiful quiet patio dinner and we had the place to ourselves.

So along those lines - What about some smaller tracks, who may be shut down right now, “mysteriously” leaving the gates open on weekends.... thereby creating an “opportunity” for people to come and drive down the track? No timing, no prep, no nothing. No electricity. A piece of property with a strip. Atleast it gets the people off the streets ???? I’m sure there’s drawbacks galore in that theory ..... but I’m wondering if some smaller facilities might try it???
I wonder if insurance would be an issue for the track.

Cool idea, but God forbid anything goes wrong, and I'm sure it'll turn into a legal $hitshow, and probably primarily for the track owner.

This is a TERRIBLE idea for the track owner. Street racing attracts crowds, and crowds make a mess, burger wrappers, empty bottles etc. Crowds attract idiots and there will be at least 1 fight. Some of your property will be destroyed, as someone is going to try to get into the restroom or concession stand or tower, etc. They are going to spray paint all over everything. And if anything happens on the track, guess who everybody is going to sue?

The bottom line is this, street racing and drag racing are 2 different cultures. Most street racers don't want to go to the track, doing it on the street, doing something illicit is the rush. Plus, you can make A LOT more money in a lot less time and get much more street credibility.

I looked at Tucson web site, nuthin'. Then NHRA, nuthin'. Finally found this on classracer.com. Ya know what is strange, Tucson is now supposed to happen Oct 8-10 and the next week, Wild Horse has a double race scheduled. Would be nice if they both happen, because Wild Horse is a regional as well, so get to see the alky cars.

Last edited:
This is a TERRIBLE idea for the track owner. Street racing attracts crowds, and crowds make a mess, burger wrappers, empty bottles etc. Crowds attract idiots and there will be at least 1 fight. Some of your property will be destroyed, as someone is going to try to get into the restroom or concession stand or tower, etc. They are going to spray paint all over everything. And if anything happens on the track, guess who everybody is going to sue?

The bottom line is this, street racing and drag racing are 2 different cultures. Most street racers don't want to go to the track, doing it on the street, doing something illicit is the rush. Plus, you can make A LOT more money in a lot less time and get much more street credibility.
Well, they can make a lot more money if they fund the pot. No reason they can't do that at the racetrack. You do realize that all these big buck races are funded by the participants, right? Nothing wrong with that at all, just saying it's like a high stakes poker game, except with race cars.

Well, they can make a lot more money if they fund the pot. No reason they can't do that at the racetrack. You do realize that all these big buck races are funded by the participants, right? Nothing wrong with that at all, just saying it's like a high stakes poker game, except with race cars.

Nunz,
You're thinking like a Bracket Racer, these guys (and gals) don't race like that. They don't fund a pot. It's "I'll run you for 5K, meet me at midnight on some desolate road and bring CASH." Then word gets around and instead of two guys meeting, it's 100.

Chris C.
I think they will come to the track, but again you have the think like a street racer and make an event for them. They won't come to Friday Night Drags. The beyond 1320 program that Tucson Dragway runs is in the shutdown, regular asphalt, not prepped, no time, flag (or flashlight) start. Just blow the dust off the track and line them up! There is a fire safety team and an ambulance there just in case, and a clean up crew in case someone blows up, but the racers have supported it. Certainly not all of them, but many. Jim Hughes has even gone out to the places where they race with a Grip-O-Meter to make sure his track is what they are used to. A lot of tracks have tried this.

The issue at this time is the Covid
restrictions that will not let the track host the gathering. And the track in on the County Fairgrounds property so they have to follow the restrictions to the letter. I am pretty sure that everyone who got arrested and/or cited would have rather paid a few bucks to Tucson Dragway than paying the fine and insurance premiums.

Just my opinion.
Alan

The poster I was replying to said to "accidentally leave the gates open and see what happens". Like I said, that is a terrible idea.

Street racers don't want to run eliminations, funding a pot will not get them off the street. They also don't want to pay someone/somewhere to race. Why pay someone $10-20 to race once against the guy you have called out?

Street racers don't want to run eliminations, funding a pot will not get them off the street. They also don't want to pay someone/somewhere to race. Why pay someone $10-20 to race once against the guy you have called out?

Because you won't get arrested and your car won't get impounded.
They have come out to the track before, and I still believe that they would continue if they were allowed.

You won't get them all, but when the track was running regular events, Street Racing issues were not nearly as big a problem as they are now.

Alan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back