Does Sponsorship still affect your buying decisions? (1 Viewer)

N.A.P.A. auto parts, Castrol oil (conventional), Mobil One (synthetic), Lucus additives, I drink only Coke soda pops. Many times I have told folks that I buy only this certain product because it supports organized Drag Racing. Oh Yeah, My hairdresser only uses Paul Mitchell products!!!:D

chris parker,
do not confuse my answer with your explanation.
the title of this thread asks if sponsorship affects buying decisions and
my answer is no.

motorsports marketing definitely increases brand awareness; not arguing that.
there is no consumable item i purchase for personal or business use that i
can say is purchased solely based on a connection to motorsports marketing;
and i am inferring the thread title refers to drag racing sponsors, maybe
motorsports in general.
to look at this from another perspective; there is also a scenario where two
equal products have different price points; knowing the 'brand name' costs
more because they maintain an extensive national or int'l. marketing campaign,
there is a very real chance i will purchase the lesser priced item of equal
or possibly greater quality

I won't quote you again Mike, but you actually said that the four factors you mentioned are your considerations when buying a product or service and that marketing has no affect on you. You now contradict that by saying that if you consider a product to be, in your eyes highly marketed, that you will then look at an alternative as that in fact implies that you will not be receiving value for money in that product. So in fact marketing and indeed marketing in drag racing does have a direct effect on your choices.

The point that you are not seeing here is that the marketing strategy for a given product or service may identify someone like you as the demographic who they are trying to reach. They know that you or those like you don't react well to a direct, "in your face" approach so they concentrate their marketing strategy and dollars in a different, often more complex approach which they would consider you to be less aware of.

A good sponsorship program is about far more than "increasing brand awareness". As you have already shown, just increasing visibility of a brand can in fact have a negative effect on the bottom line. Companies who invest in good sponsorships know this and instead of "increasing brand awareness" they actually use strategies which are designed to change the perceptions of their business or product within distinct target demographics. Business to business relationships are often equally important and although these can be affected by overall brand visibility it is only one small part of a successful B2B strategy.

I am not trying to be obtuse here, but the question is "Does Sponsorship still affect your buying decisions?" and you clearly say that you will shy away from a product which spends a high amount on sponsorship, therefore it does still affect your buying decisions! Just because you choose for the sponsorship to have a negative effect on your spending behaviour, does not mean you are immune to it.

chris,
you are correct in your summations.
you are right, i am not immune to marketing, even if subliminally;
but i am not a 'brand loyal' motorsports fan which is what i was initially
answering no too.

i try to practice due diligence with buying habits, purchasing
based on experience, reviews and first hand user accounts.

Last edited:
I try to support companies that sponsor our sport. Heck, I still buy Jerzees socks because they used to sponsor Vandergriff years ago.

Yes, if a product sponsors a drag car and it's a good product then yes I purchase that product. Now when a sponsor leaves drag racing, I no longer purchase that sponsor's product.

i bought several pairs of Wiley X sunglasses after they showed up on Jim Yates PS car as a minor sponsorship ... then painted them on my r/c cars... and that led to a conversation that led to promoting them in the r/c world....

we have 4 different auto parts stores here.... i start by going to Advance when i need something..

i drink Powerade.. cant drink the energy drinks they play havock with my blood sugar..lol.. but if i could i would by Full Throttle...

Bought Lucas Oil products when i worked for a local trucking company...

so i would say yeah i'm influanced a bit by what sponsorships are out there that fit my needs....lol

Oh heck yeah. Actually now it's more of a word association game for me. When I'm shopping, I don't see Castrol, NAPA, Fram, Lucas Oil, Rocky, Advanced Auto Parts or Summit the colors and names and prices don't matter ...... I see John Force, Ron Capps, Spencer Massey, Morgan Lucas, Cruz and Jason Line. Definately pay attention to it, I kid you not. I still think Eddie Hill when I see Pennzoil too

I in all honesty would more say that racing sponsorships have made me aware of companies and products but hasn't been my main reason for purchasing, usually I will see an advertised product then research that product before purchase. I try and find out about what im buying before I buy things.

Though take beverages for example. I love coca cola and I drink alot of coca cola, I drink what I like and they would have to completely change their product for me to switch brands.

To answer the original question, yes it does. Last night on the way home from work I stopped by the grocery store and bought a DiGiorno pizza/cookies box to have while watching qualifying. Ordinarily I wouldn't have even given them a second look.

I try to buy mainly from companies that sponsor cars but sometimes things like location make it not possible.

For example, the nearest Napa is 25 minutes away. Why should I when there is an Autozone 8 minutes away?

I can say that when Miller and Bud pulled out I switched to Coors. I used Fram filters in my car. For oil I use mobile as I get my oil changes for free. :D If I had to pay, I would certainly use Castrol.

I always support those that support the sport. Are you here in Denver for the Mile Highs?

S/F
D

I make a effort to buy from those who advertise and I add I try to buy as many American products as possible, too. For example, Menards (who sponsors NASCAR) always labels the American products in their flyers.

Strangest thing happened last Winter while buying a new side loader washer and dryer at Lowes. I wanted to make sure we bought an American made set and the only set we could find was manufactured in the USA was by the German company Bosch. We paid approximately $1K more for the set than the Mexican made.

Like Dave, I tried the DiGiorno pizza after seeing it on the side of Fuller's car. Not too bad for frozen pizza.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back