Does Sponsorship still affect your buying decisions? (1 Viewer)

Srotten

Nitro Member
Got in a "friendly debate" the other day on if drag racing sponsorship is still driving buying decisions like it used to. Some people think that in the rough economy people are buying what is cheapest... period, and that sponsorship is a waste of money. I'd like to hear if anyone has bought anything based on a sponsors involvement in drag racing. Thanks!

I bought my tires from Big O because of it. Sure they are not the cheapest but hey it goes back to my friends and I hope they would do the same for me.

Drag Racing sponsorship breaks any ties and will make me at least look at their product

I eat at In-N-Out Burger all the time because I like to support Mel's team, and because I'm always hungry and they smell and taste great.:)

I switched to Miller Lite after Bud left Bernstein. To answer the question, yes sponsorship dictates where I spend my dollars.

A definitive yes. I've used Fram and Autolite in our cars for years despite liking Green Filter's product more. They dumped Corey Mac and now we use Motorcraft because of Bob Tasca. Either way Quaker State is still purchased at Advance Auto.

I really make an effort to use the products or services of any company sponsoring a race team. I have actually found some good products doing so.

Sponsorship definitely affects my buying/shopping when I'm in the marketplace for anything.
The companies that sponsor my favorite teams get my consumer dollars and loyalty.

I feel a sponsors product deserves at least a try if they support my sport !
I am pretty loyal to automotive stuff and tires !

If it works don't change it .
I'm looking forward to cruising to In and Out Burger in D/FW but Garland is a little far to cruise in the Vette !

Now when the one in Fort Worth Opens I'm there .
If by chance I go to Red Line Raceway or even Dallas Raceway a side trip might be in order !

If there are 2 competing products in the same price range, if one of the products is a sponsor then my money will go that way. If I know I have a need in advance, I will consider sponsor products ... but usually price and convenience are my overriding factor in purchasing decisions. An excellent example is DHL, without exception, it is easier and cheaper to use the USPS, FedEx or UPS for my needs. (sorry Conrad) At least UPS was a sponsor for a while.

I will say this ... I don't think sponsoring a race car is more of a waste of money than buying commercials on TV or Radio. I do not know anybody that listens to terrestrial radio anymore ... and even my parents have a DVR and pre-record their TV shows and fast forward thru the commercials. At least while sponsoring a race car, a company can get their logo positioned on your TV screen while no one is fast forwarding.

Last edited:
Yes, I pay attention to sponsorships. Just yesterday bought a tube of Valvoline grease over the no-name because of it. It won't convince me to buy something over-priced or that I don't need, but it certainly is the swing vote when I'm standing there staring at an array of similar products on the shelf.

no - quality, service, price & convenience are determining factors, regardless
of how product or service is marketed.

Yes, With all things being equal the sponsor's products always gets my money.
When it comes to buying any parts and the choice is Akron or Columbus. The Captain will always win with me.

no - quality, service, price & convenience are determining factors, regardless
of how product or service is marketed.

Obviously you make yourself aware of every product or service in every sector and in every territory that you are likely to consume.

If you think you have enough time and are independently minded enough to avoid marketing having any relevance in your purchasing desicions then you are either very mistaken or you are some kind of robot.

Marketing will virtually ALWAYS have an effect, as all of the factors you have mentioned are not absolutes put are perceptions and your perceptions will always be influenced by your environment and how it relates to the products and services you consume. Marketing tries to control that enviroment and therefore your purchasing, and very often without your knowledge that it is even shaping your opinion.

If a product is available to you at the same price and same quality as another but one is available through a retailer on your and every other street corner, but the competitior is available only at a retailer 20 miles away it is no guess which you will consume. Then you should ask yourself why the two products are not both available through the retailer on your street corner... The answer is likely to be MARKETING!

Marketing is not Advertising and you should not mistake it for such.

On Mark's question, he knows as well as I do that although we like the answers that come from the hardcore drag racing fans, the sort you'll find here on the 'mater, they are skewed, as here we all are very sponsor aware and know our loyalty has a effect on the sport we enjoy. The truth of the matter is that amongst the average fans/spectators at the track and watching on the TV the answers are likely to be not quite as positive especially in the current climate.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back