Die cast collectables (1 Viewer)

I have a couple of favorites in my collection: my 96 Blaine Johnson, I have a Darrell Russell / Joe Amato that was sent to me by joe himself autographed by both with a hand written thank you note. And I just aquired an interesting one the Montana Express with the name Hot rod Fuller on it I think from 95

I used to be big time into the diecast. Thousands and thousands of dollars worth. I have sold alot of them but I too was one who overpaid for a bunch of them. I also got some at really good deals so it all washes I guess. I enjoyed it and the way I looked at it was if I played a round of golf it would cost me $100 so I might as well do it. Only problem was I still played golf too!!!

I have alot of Force's stuff, Scelzi's rookie Winston dragster, a 1988 Budweiser Darrell Gwynn, Louie the Lizard Bernstein, both the red and blue travelers Blaine Johnson's, Phil Burkhart Nitrofish FC, TOny Shoe 330mph Exide dragster, Cruz McDonalds car, Darrell Russell dragster, Shelly Anderson, Eddie Hill, Yankees dragster, Al Hoffman Western Auto, Bazemore Smoking Joe's, Snake/Dixon MGD, Gwynn's Silver Bullet, Bob Glidden PS, Jeggie PS, the Superman collectible set, way too many to remember that I still have. And most of them are all autographed. Boxes and boxes of them not to mention a bunch of Nascar and some World of Outlaw stuff too. Glasses, belt buckles, knifes, etc.

Though my fav is the 1/16th John Force 100 Wins Houston car. Just b/c I was there and it was a great moment and ofcourse my huge General Lee!

I have a lot of other race stuff besides nhra, like stuff from the first Calif Speedway race, stuff from OMS my big thing is that i collect autographs I have about a billion. The bad part is that it is all packed away cause my husband wont let me put it up in the new house. :(:(

Re: Die cast collectibles

Tony Shoe began driving that car for the Peek Brothers at the '96 Indy Nationals. He made it all the way to the finals in his debut NHRA Professional event, and lost to Cory Mac. He continued to drive that car for the '97 season.
Someone told me Tony got the seat, because McDaniels forgot to "put it on the high side" on consecutive runs.

I mostly collect for the fun of it. I have alot of Force stuff. My fav is my autograhed Eric Medlen "Castrol Syntec" car. (really thinking alot of him as G-ville gets closer,it will be emotional going back there)

If anybody's has any of the Action Don Garlits Swamp Rat 32 and/or (Matco or Summit version of) Swamp Rat 34 diecasts, look just behind the front wheel on either side and tell me who's name you see.

I have maybe 25 or so diecast, but haven't bought anything new for awhile. Kind of decided to only buy one off cars, where they only run the paint scheme once or twice. I have Worhsam's Mt Dew car, Capps' Gold Cope car, a few Force specailties, Skuza's Meatloaf car, among a few other specials. I do have a two piece Pewter Scelzi Winston dragster, in a two-level display case, that I have never seen anywhere else. If anyone else has one, let me know.

The only other 1/43 front engined dragster I know of, that you didn't mention, is one they made for 40th US Nationals. They also made a double pack for John Force. Package comes with two cars. I never collected the 1/43 stuff but I have almost all Corgi/Race Image's haulers. Bernstein/Bud, Snake/Final Strike, Dunn,Gwynn/La Victoria among the better ones. They came with 1/64 dragsters too.

Corgi also did an Jim Epler Rug Doctor Olds F/C and a Tom Hoover Showtime Olds F/C

Re: Die cast collectibles

Someone told me Tony got the seat, because McDaniels forgot to "put it on the high side" on consecutive runs.

Tony

How could an experienced driver do that once then turn around and do it a second time? Must not have been paying the bills!!

lynn i have way to many lol, dont have list but i started with the first 5pc mac tools set that started the ball rolling (snakes final strike etc etc ) i remember when that set listed for like 2500$ in the book but i dont know who would ever pay that ,i was dumb enough to drop probaly 20000k in the stuff lol. stopped buying it bout 4 yrs ago or so( the yr kalitta had kid rock car at vegas) hell most of them were only taken out of box to make sure they were mint ( and mint box) then put right back in. i have rc/ action/ milestone/ fuelers forever, mac tool sets if u count the 1/64 and smaller ones im guessing i have somewhere in the 800 + number . i have 50-70 first 1/64 rc ( alderman ,gustin, blue max etc etc ) hell i remember people giving 50 bucks for the alderman alone . its all still in the bubble packs and sh## i have those corgi trucks etc etc . hell i bought all of it lol. i also have the scotty cannon puter ( spelling ) cars that went for 400$ from donnie at rolling o , i think they only made 100 of those? it came with number . yeah i was pretty sick into the stuff lol. if it was drag racing i collected it. i mainly just collect handouts /hatpins now . thats another subject entirely .the milestone vance and hines top fuel harley is probaly my fav.

I don't feel as bad now. I collected NHRA from around 92-97 and bought a bunch of top fuel and funny cars from RCCA/Action and RC. They are all boxed up in the garage attic. I think I might get a couple out and put them on display and enjoy them. I stopped getting NHRA and mainly collect Hot Wheels cars now. Seemed to be a lot easier to spend $1 vs $30 a car but I buy a lot more Hot Wheels cars now. LOL

Unless you have a theme to the diecast you can spend a billion dollars on that stuff. I have been collecting Amato and of course Muldowney I even have a couple shirley shahan

I've got all kinds of junk (I say "junk" respectfully). I had a buddy who worked at Action Performance in the late 90's, and got some for free. Lots of NASCAR Elites. What got me bummed out was the Action drag race cars were just starting to blossom back then, so they were a little "bare bones" in detail compared to the Elite stock cars. The engines in today's diecast drag cars are very detailed..... back in 1996, most engines were grey, with chrome plated valve covers & birdcatcher.....and if a car came with little red spark plug wires.... oh man, that was top of line!

hey..it's your name! what's the story?

I did the graphics/lettering for Swamp Rat 34 back in 1994 when the car was new. Don was having the body for 32 re-done for the Museum so I got to do that too. When Don brought 34 back out a few years ago, I did some of the graphics but Summit suplied the rest of it. Still, Don said he wanted to make sure my name was on 34 for it's last season of competition. Action made the die-casts and I could not believe that I made it onto the cars. I'm truly honored that my name is on the last Swamp Rat Top Fueler.

Dave

My brother called and told me a Wal-Mart where he lives just got in 2008 Daytona themed diecast for several drivers. If you're not a diecast collector, you probably don't know that 2007 NHRA diecast weren't available until after the 2007 season was pretty much over. How do they expect to sell these things when they can't get them out in a timely manner. Even at the INDY 500 they have had at least 8 current driver/sponsor combos ready for sale on race day the last several years. In case nobody has noticed, these cars for the most part don't hold their inital value. If you don't sell them when they're current, a lot of times you can't sell them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back