Del Worshman (2 Viewers)

none

Nitro Member
Man I hate for Del to not get into the field.After last year he sure does not need to get started off like this.

Wayne, I understand liberals so I get your drift --
but it would be only fair to Del to state what his transgression was that is now coming back to haunt him? Fair question, I think?

Wayne, I understand liberals so I get your drift --
but it would be only fair to Del to state what his transgression was that is now coming back to haunt him? Fair question, I think?

Bobby, thanks for the compliment, I think!!! ;)

I believe that way the Burkart/Arend switch happened (let alone took place) was handled was poor.

I also feel that for most of last year and this first weekend of this year, the Blue crew has an obviously better grasp of the tune up/set up than the Red crew.

I've always felt that Del's team was a throwback to the old days of "family" racing. I DO know that it is a business but there are some things that are way more important than money.

Not sure if this made any sense but it is how I feel.

And, no Del shouldn't have fired himself or his dad instead!

Bobby, thanks for the compliment, I think!!! ;)

I believe that way the Burkart/Arend switch happened (let alone took place) was handled was poor.

I also feel that for most of last year and this first weekend of this year, the Blue crew has an obviously better grasp of the tune up/set up than the Red crew.

I've always felt that Del's team was a throwback to the old days of "family" racing. I DO know that it is a business but there are some things that are way more important than money.

Not sure if this made any sense but it is how I feel.

And, no Del shouldn't have fired himself or his dad instead!

All I can say is HUH????????

If this is about Phil being replaced by Jeff, you need to know the inside financial workings of the operation to understand. If you are a business owner with a fiscal responsibility to either stockholders or, in their case, a sponsor, you would understand such a decision without question. It's a business decision. Do you have an equal dislike for Don Schumacher for making the very same decision replacing Whit with Beckman? Or, is this something personal?

I really don't want to get involved in this, but you know I am... Go to Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - Volume 9, Issue 02; February 2007 and read Del's side of the Story, under the news heading... I lost a lot of respect for Phil after his first round Qualifying comments about Jeff... Jeff Arend is a Race Car driver and can be one of the best with the guy's he is surrounded with... I wish you the best Jeff, and don't let the BS get in your head...
It's obvious that some, just don't understand... It's much more then a money issue...JMO
Oh and by the way, it's Worsham!! MAN-

Last edited:
I really don't want to get involved in this, but you know I am... Go to Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - Volume 9, Issue 02; February 2007 and read Del's side of the Story, under the news heading... I lost a lot of respect for Phil after his first round Qualifying comments about Jeff... Jeff Arend is a Race Car driver and can be one of the best with the guy's he is surrounded with... I wish you the best Jeff, and don't let the BS get in your head...
It's obvious that some, just don't understand... It's much more then a money issue...JMO

Damm,I never was vert good with spelling:eek:

Very well stated! People should really open their ears and eyes and see Phil was NOT dropped with no notice.

Frank, Wayne and Lisa, I'm patiently waiting your explanation for your remarks. If there is something irresponsible that went on, we all would be very interested to hear it.

Bobby
You gotta let it go... You are going to have a headache from banging your head against the wall with these guy's...
I want to know, what happened to the thread, GA's first or third hit??? It disappeared after I brought up a very true story about GA taking the books out of the professors classroom... What gives??:mad:

I think I made myself pretty clear.

However, now that Del has finally spoken it is clear that his version MUST be the correct/only one!!!
There are at least 2 sides to every story and I happen to believe the "Phil got the shaft version".

I have been a business owner and I stated that I understood Del's decision but that I didn't have to like it. Money does indeed make the world go round but common courtesy and respect should be just as important!!

JMHO!!!

Also, I did NOT catch Thursdays audiocast but I did catch Friday & yesterday; Phil seemed pretty professional to me. I know Bob asked him Thurs about being good friends w/Jeff and he said "used to be good friends".
How dare Phil for feeling that a "friend" bought his job out from under him!!!

PS: I do like Jeff and wish him the best as he's a fellow Rush fan!!! :)

Frank, Wayne and Lisa, I'm patiently waiting your explanation for your remarks. If there is something irresponsible that went on, we all would be very interested to hear it.

Bobby, as you might expect, my remark comes from an emotional place. Intellectually, I realize that Del made the decision he had to make, dealing purely with the financial realities of racing. That doesn't mean it's easy to swallow or that it's easily accepted when my favorite driver is dumped. As far as that article goes, Del's side of the story is Del's side of the story. There are usually as many sides to a story as there are people involved.

One of my favorite things about drag racing is that it's like a big family. People take care of each other, racers even helping the teams that just took them out of competition or that they face in the next round. My comment comes from wishing that the family would be able to keep a great driver on the team. To be like Snake and say that no matter what, Larry would have a job this season, despite their lack of a sponsor at the end of last season.

I look at life more from an emotional, personal standpoint. It's one of the reasons I'd be an abysmal failure at business - instead of focusing on the bottom line, I'd be trying to take care of the people and probably run the place into the ground financially. Del looked at things from the financial standpoint, as he had to, as a businessman. I don't think he was irresponsible to his team and his business, but I'm still not happy about the results for Phil.

I probably should have kept my opinion to myself, since it's going to be a while before I can manage to cheer for Del again - I certainly don't wish him ill. For someone like me that looks at life from an emotional standpoint instead of a financial one, it's hard not to take things personally. That may not be right, but it's how I feel. It's just my opinion, and perhaps that would be better left unsaid.

HUH?????? Loyalty in fuel racing???? W/ some owners who have empty pockets they have your back as they love nitro racing and they are not in 'survival' mode just to be out there....Phil is not the first to get the boot....Frank Pedregon has gotten the boot many times....along w/ Cory lee...Tony B pays to drive that car...saves him money to steer a car than to own one..and Tony could easily afford a fuel car....It saves Jim D from putting a pilot on payroll....Some owners will give you the steering wheel as long as you bring in some money...J. Gray will pay to play...and the list goes on...Del and Chuck are good people who are trying to race @ the highest level w/out the biggest budget....Their budget is probably 50-60% less than the top players...
I always cheer for em....and they have the best attitudes out there...Jeff Arend is an awesome driver and very personable...heck...Del has a bunch of new guys too....If some of us had a pocket full of money and a fuel license you too could be on TV....real quick!!!!

Wow Terry! We agree on something! I've anticipated this moment for quite a while now and I will cherish this. Thanks for your comments!

Lisa, that's a very fair explanation you gave. In life we will be very unhappy if we don't learn how to disagree without disliking the person behind the conflicting opinion. Everyone we meet will disagree with something in time.

I just remember the flack John Force got after releasing Gary Densham in lieu of his son-in-law. One group hated John for his decision while the others focused on the opportunity John gave to Gary which has virtually launched him into another complete level of competition. I see Phil's opportunity almost the same as Gary's. I seriously doubt he would have been racing without Chuck/Del's opportunity being offered to him and I believe he owes a debt of gratitude more than an expectation of continuance.

The glass is either half-full or half-empty I guess.

Business decision or not, we think it is great that Jeff has a good full-time spot this year, especially with the Worsham team. It's been a long time coming. Go Jeff!

I don't have a dog in this fight but I would like to make 2 comments:

1. Jeff posted several times yesterday, let's hope he skips over this thread and doesn't get caught up in the BS. Anytime you get oppurtunity in this life, chances are you are getting that oppurtunity in lieu of someone else. Jeff seems to be taking the high road and I wish him luck the rest of the year.

2. There is nothing stopping Phil from doing the same thing Jeff did. Maybe instead of making snappy comments on audiocasts and doing the mumbling and grumbling, he should be out beating the bushes, trying to get a sponsor so he can go to a team owner with a competitive financial package to get back into racing. If Beckman and Arend can do it, so can Phil. He is very obviously a talented driver with lots to offer, and I wish him luck in trying to get back in the game.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back