Dave Reiff & Mike Dunn (1 Viewer)

farmje

Nitro Member
I missed the race on the Early NHRA show on Sunday morning. Who won? Do any of you have the video uploaded or found on youtube? I can't seem to find it.

Dunn won, they both had a trap speed of 88 MPH. Dunn was 1 second on the throttle and shut it off, he had him by half the track or more I think.

I hope Reiff had good ear protection! I would imagine the exhaust blast must have been brutal that close to Dunn's car. Anyway I thought it was a pretty neat experiment!:D

Mike did a pretty good job on the tree too, (.078) considering he hasn't raced in several years. Reiff was .583 or something like that. He must have left on the green light.:D

Mike did a pretty good job on the tree too, (.078) considering he hasn't raced in several years. Reiff was .583 or something like that. He must have left on the green light.:D

In Dave R's defense: Did anybody else notice the tremendous amount of wheel spin that the Pontiac had on the starting line? I thought it was gonna smoke 'em for a moment.

I have never seen a FWD car spin that badly on asphalt, let alone the concrete launch pad of THE premier track of the NHRA.

Maybe Scelzi was right....Track prep, Track prep, Track prep!!!

I think the whole segment was retarded. They should have done some better pit interviews or something more interesting with the air time.

Anyway I thought it was a pretty neat experiment!:D

So did I, it was fairly simple and it gave a good illustration.

I loved that Mike Dunn burnout though, burnouts are the coolest part of it all. I love doing burnouts in my dad's dragsters/roadsters.

Wheelspin is a problem with the front-wheel-drive cars because everybody else launches with the driiving wheels several feet behind the starting line and the weight transfer unloads the driving wheels. I have driven a G6 in a couple of media races and there is a surprising amount of tire spin when you launch, especially if you bring the RPMs up against the foot brake trying to cut a better light.

I have the same problems at traffic lights in my FWD Saturn. The paint stripes that mark where you are supposed to stop are a lot slicker than the pavement a few feet back, plus it's a manual five-speed car and low gear is really low. I can do a dry burnout without really trying, even with a four-cylinder engine, especially on the paint stripes. By the time the rear tires of a RWD car get to the paint stripes, they have enough momentum to get past the stripe without spinning the tires.

My favorite part was Dunn pushing the fuel shut off just past half track. when the engine leans out it revs up and the car speeds up. Poor Dave never had a chance-LOL

hey us pontiac people want a re-match- how about using a new GTO (yeah like it would matter :D )

Next time run it like a bracket race, only under full throttle! Give the Pony an 11.5 sec lead and run the TF'er full throttle. They can have "Depends" sponsor the event, as Dave will need a change as he gets passed by the TF'er at top end. AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!:twocents:

Next time run it like a bracket race, only under full throttle! Give the Pony an 11.5 sec lead and run the TF'er full throttle. They can have "Depends" sponsor the event, as Dave will need a change as he gets passed by the TF'er at top end. AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!:twocents:

There's a reason they don't do it that way, it's to damn dangerous! That's exactly why they did it the same way they did the segment for Mail Call with Gunny and Tony Shoe.

I've heard that before, but actually it doesn't seem any more dangerous than any other TF or FC run. If the TF car gets out of shape, it'll most likely be well before the finish line, which is where the Pony would be. Do you recall when they ran TF and FC with the FC getting a tenth or so spot? That was much more dangerous, IMO, in that the FC could have got crossed up and crossed into the TF lane infront of it.

Last edited:
I've heard that before, but actually it doesn't seem any more dangerous than any other TF or FC run. If the TF car gets out of shape, it'll most likely be well before the finish line, which is where the Pony would be. Do you recall when they ran TF and FC with the FC getting a tenth or so spot?
Tell me, would you like to be driving a production car with no rollcage and a 3 point seatbelt at 88 mph and have an out of control TF car smash into you at 300+ mph? How many times have we seen cars drift out of the groove and take out the last 2 sets of timing blocks? Do you honestly think that's safe in any way, shape or form?

Tell me, would you like to be driving a production car with no rollcage and a 3 point seatbelt at 88 mph and have an out of control TF car smash into you at 300+ mph? How many times have we seen cars drift out of the groove and take out the last 2 sets of timing blocks? Do you honestly think that's safe in any way, shape or form?
You're reading things into this that I didn't say. I didn't advocate it, or say it was safe. I said I didn't see it being any more dangerous than other TF runs. As I said, they've done things that I consider more dangerous, in the past. In the TF/FC races the chance of Blasting or getting blasted, broadside by a 250 MPH FC while you're at speed seems to be at least as dangerous and much more likely to happen than a TF loosing it at Top End before the lights and crossing lanes and hitting the Pony.
BTW, the "Depends" statement was there to show a tongue in cheek take on the post.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back