Great Interview With Mike Dunn (1 Viewer)

nhra and espn are lucky to have someone of mike's caliber in the tv booth.
i agree, good interview.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. Mike is the man. Rare to see someone in his position who has the respect of the fans, racers and co-workers. I just love it when he says, "well that was just a good ol' drag race".

Mike is the all time greatest. I think even better than the late Steve Evans.

I was on a flight out of Vegas the morning after the Event there a couple of years ago. Mike was sitting in the very back of the plane. I was goin' to go back and talk to him,but he looked like he didn't want to be bothered at the time.

Mike indeed does rock!!!
Now if ESPN would just move Paul & put Reiff in his place!!!
You can tell they have great chemistry during the RaceDay show!!!

Blasphemy!!! Mike is alright, but he's not even close to the way Steve called the sport.

Being that Jack is from the home of my beloved Steelers, I didn't want to be the one to jump on him ;), but I'm with you, Mike. Just being mentioned in the same breath as Steve and D-Mac is an accomplishment, much less being rated higher.

Sean D

I'm not sure if there is a difference between commentator and announcer, but there probably is. Steve Evans and Dave Mac's voices are just tailor made for announcing. What Mike brings to the table is different, he's a former driver (one of the best IMO) so he is awesome at picking up stuff that happens with the cars as they cover the track before many see it. He's also great at getting drivers "up on the tire" sometimes when he calls things the way he sees them. :D

It's the difference between "play-by-play" and "color". Play-by-play takes a very special set of skills: ability to follow the action and list names/numbers/stats at high speed as it happens. Incredibly hard. Color takes experience in the sport, a good eye for detail, relationships with the players, and the ability to communicate, an incredibly rare combination. Not so sure how good I think Paul is at the former, but Mike is outstanding at the latter.

The thing about Mike is that he has universal respect amongst the sport's players. To a person, as far as I can tell. Very few people like that out there.

He's paid his dues in triplicate, and everyone knows it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back