Connolly Goe$ To Vega$ $$$$$$$$$ (1 Viewer)

chop

Nitro Member
Here's a quote from GA on NHRA's Site.

"Dave is a lucky guy. He beat me in Indy, great job, give him 20 extra points. But in the standings he gained almost 200 points?"

Ladies and Gentlemen,here we have the first of many I'm sure disgruntled racers about NHRA's Equalizer Countdown To The Championship. I can't believe that he's taking Dave winning Indy so hard. Me being the WJ/KJ fan I am,it shouldn't bother me that he calls Connolly "lucky" but when I see a wrong,I gotta comment on it. When does a racer become lucky? is it when the 3 Time P/S Champ gets run down by an upstart like Ole Dave?, I don't think so. Not only has he got Dave to worry about,there's 6 other racers who might get "lucky". If this trend continues,will we see a major meltdown? stay tuned

Dave is lucky...If it wasnt for the bs countdown he wouldnt have a chance in hell of winning the title this year...So yeah I agree with GA "Dave is a Lucky Guy"..

I think Davey-Boy would have a good chance of winning the title even without this new points system. Face it people, The KB boys are getting chased down.

I think Davey-Boy would have a good chance of winning the title even without this new points system. Face it people, The KB boys are getting chased down.

u honestly think DC would make up a 250 point (12 rounds) deficit against GA with just 5 races to go ?? ....... i'll take that bet !!

Dave is lucky...If it wasnt for the bs countdown he wouldnt have a chance in hell of winning the title this year...So yeah I agree with GA "Dave is a Lucky Guy"..

awesome post! and mike, if it were kj or wj in the lead and they lost almost 200 pts in 1 rd and now in 2nd youd be steaming too. this countdown is b.s. if connely wins it all- his championship means as much as barry bonds last 300 homeruns.

awesome post! and mike, if it were kj or wj in the lead and they lost almost 200 pts in 1 rd and now in 2nd youd be steaming too. this countdown is b.s. if connely wins it all- his championship means as much as barry bonds last 300 homeruns.

The deal is,the Countdown is real,it's here and it's going to determine the Champion. Would I be hot if WJ/KJ were in the lead,you bet but it's the way it is. The point I'm making is,GA loses ONE race and he whining about it. There's plenty of time for him to change Dave's or any of the rest "luck" The way I see it,since the "shock clarification rule",their advantage has slipped away. Now instead of making perfect run after perfect run,they have had problems getting down the track @ times. I think GA's vent has a lot to do with the whole situation and the Countdown gave him the stage. He may come back and win it,he has what it takes but for the first time in a long time,he's got to do it with pressure. I know one thing,a boring P/S Championship run has now turned into a fun thing to watch.:D

Ditto on that Shane.

And Steve, DC is running pretty strong right now, but there is no way he could make up the deficit he was facing under the old system.

Unfortunately, Mike is right. This cess-pool of a points system appears to be here to stay, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone except the leaders going into Indy are nothing more than lucky.

Sean D

The bottom line is that the countdown is what it is and its here to stay for a while...enough is enough about the "old way", if NHRA feels the "old way" is the better way then they will make that decision, but not anytime soon. They can see the problems with it just as much as we all can and all we can do is hope they will make some changes but for now..stop all of the whining!!

On the TV coverage Greg seemed pretty up front about the fact that his car was off all weekend. He said something along the line of (I'm paraphrasing) "we probably should have been out in the first round and made it to the final". Almost lost in all of the hype was that Greg was awesome on the tree on Monday with lights of .014, .025, .033, and .023. At least Greg gave his honest opinion of the countdown rather than some politically correct answer. I would rather see an interview where a driver tells you what he really thinks.

i agree brian, when WJ speaks his mind, people on here love it, they think its great, hes the man ect ect. but when greg does- he whinning. i dont get the greg haters. what will the true whinners have to whine about when greg doesnt win it this year because of this bogus championship countdown?

On the TV coverage Greg seemed pretty up front about the fact that his car was off all weekend. He said something along the line of (I'm paraphrasing) "we probably should have been out in the first round and made it to the final". Almost lost in all of the hype was that Greg was awesome on the tree on Monday with lights of .014, .025, .033, and .023. At least Greg gave his honest opinion of the countdown rather than some politically correct answer. I would rather see an interview where a driver tells you what he really thinks.

Also lost up in the hype was his whining about lane choice. He had it against KJ and still couldn't get back into the left lane against Connolly in the final. If KJ doesn't hurt a motor in the previous two rounds,he might not have made the final.

At least Greg gave his honest opinion of the countdown rather than some politically correct answer. I would rather see an interview where a driver tells you what he really thinks.

Wait! What does this remind me of? A driver being "outspoken?" :D We're sure he's not bashing or whining? Now, surely the same people who supported another driver for being "outspoken" (regardless of what he was being "outspoken" about) wouldn't all of a sudden be going the other way when people are just being "outspoken" against this points system?

Must be those darned conservatives again. Right, Joh Asher? :D

Last edited:
Also lost up in the hype was his whining about lane choice. He had it against KJ and still couldn't get back into the left lane against Connolly in the final. If KJ doesn't hurt a motor in the previous two rounds,he might not have made the final.

Yes, Greg was complaining about the right lane, but he also admitted that it was their fault they didn't have lane choice. I sat there watching that race and was thinking I was glad I didn't fly out to Indy to see the cars race down a one lane track. All he said after the race was that he hoped the NHRA would fix the track and if they did it would be better for everybody. Rod Fuller and Del Worsham both mentioned the condition of the right lane in their team reports as well so it wasn't just Greg complaining about it.

Mac Tools U.S. Nationals:  Checker Schuck's Kragen Chevy Impala 
Mac Tools U.S. Nationals:  David Powers Homes dragster 

Here's a quote from GA on NHRA's Site.

"Dave is a lucky guy. He beat me in Indy, great job, give him 20 extra points. But in the standings he gained almost 200 points?"

Ladies and Gentlemen,here we have the first of many I'm sure disgruntled racers about NHRA's Equalizer Countdown To The Championship. I can't believe that he's taking Dave winning Indy so hard. Me being the WJ/KJ fan I am,it shouldn't bother me that he calls Connolly "lucky" but when I see a wrong,I gotta comment on it. When does a racer become lucky? is it when the 3 Time P/S Champ gets run down by an upstart like Ole Dave?, I don't think so. Not only has he got Dave to worry about,there's 6 other racers who might get "lucky". If this trend continues,will we see a major meltdown? stay tuned
Anytime we win there is luck involved. Get out of the bleachers Mike, run a few races and then you'll have a better understanding of what he's talking about

Anytime we win there is luck involved. Get out of the bleachers Mike, run a few races and then you'll have a better understanding of what he's talking about

I have multi NHRA/IHRA & NMCA National records,runner up @ IHRA Spring Nationals, I have been out of the bleachers. I get tired of your I'm the only one who has raced attitude.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back