Congrats JR Todd, but your front wing is still flopping! (2 Viewers)

FuelCarBuilder

Nitro Member
Congrats to JR Todd and crew on the win. I noticed the front wing is still flopping from about half track on. I would have thought someone would have adressed this issue by now...makes me nervous. Maybe it's the trick up their sleeve? :rolleyes:

Re: Congrats JR Todd, but your thingie is still flopping!

Evan Knoll was going to answer this same question when I posed it on here last season, but I/we never got a reply.

Must be some top secret flippy-floppy thing they have in there. :D (And yes, flippy-floppy thing is the correct term or so says my 9 year old son. )

Either way.....CONGRATS AGAIN TO JR!!!!!!!!

When J.R. wins the 2007 championship someone should award him a flipy flopy thingy trophy.
They had that car running on a rail on Sunday.
Look out a new player is taking over the TF field.
Hey what happened to P.S. being last?

Yeah every time I see that I think the car is about to fall apart. Its rather nerve racking

Let's just say an extra prayer that his "thingie" doesn't break off on the top end.

UHHHH....Flippy-floppy equals a portion of the front of the car dropping below the 3 inch minimum ground clearance in the lights...:rolleyes:

I hate to say it, because I would love to see JR and Evan kick butt this year, but has anyone super slo-mo'ed the flippy-floppy action when he's entering the traps? If the wing starts off at 3" high at staging, is all that movement at speed tripping the beams :( ?

I hate to say it, because I would love to see JR and Evan kick butt this year, but has anyone super slo-mo'ed the flippy-floppy action when he's entering the traps? If the wing starts off at 3" high at staging, is all that movement at speed tripping the beams :( ?

Ahhh, very good question! Never thought about that until you brought it up. Very possible!

UHHHH....Flippy-floppy equals a portion of the front of the car dropping below the 3 inch minimum ground clearance in the lights...:rolleyes:

Thats always been a given. The spill plates and nose have always tripped the finish line beams, not the front wheels.

Last edited:
Hmmmm..:rolleyes:

Well, that explains the drop in E.T.s in the past 5 years....

No its been that way for a LOOOONG time. even the 70s when snow shovels started appearing on the torsion bar front suspensions of Dragsters. It has always been a factor. the et stop and mph beams are higher off the track surface than the start beams which are very close to the surface. next time at the track notice the position of the reflectors on the foam cubes on the centerlines. They are right in the middle. and the blocks are about 10 or 12 inches square.

I will add this bit of trivia also
The MPH start and stop beams used to straddle the finish line. The MPH et start was 33 feet before the finish line the mph ET stop USED to be 33 feet beyond the finish line. Some competitors would "'Run it out the back door" (IE "Back door Bob Strucksness') In an attempt to capture top MPH. I forget what year it was but (early 80s?) When speeds and short tracks started to become a problem the speed et stop trap was moved to before the finish line. So today In Theory. the MPH at the finish line is actually faster than what is being timed or reported. It is only the average speed calculated by the elapsed time measured in a segment of track preceding the finish line.

Last edited:

When J.R. wins the 2007 championship someone should award him a flipy flopy thingy trophy.
They had that car running on a rail on Sunday.
Look out a new player is taking over the TF field.
Hey what happened to P.S. being last?

When the weather starts to get finicky, all other classes take a back seat to the nitro classes...I think they ran pro stock last in an effort to ensure that the nitro classes would be completed first in case the rain started again.

Big congrats to JR, Jimmy Walsh and the team! I'm gonna be like Kelly and leave the "flippy floppy thingie" comments alone :D :p

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back