CNBC looks at Drag Racing ADRL Style (1 Viewer)

What I have heard is that they are paid by the sponsor for all the free tickets that are turned in at the gate. The number I heard was $10 per ticket.

Now imagine that a family of 4 was trying to go to a national event. It would cost hundreds of dollars just for tickets and then the cost of food, parking and stuff.

Now figure you get in for free, pay for parking and go watch the racing. you can take money to the conseeion stand for food and go buy the shirts, hats, etc with some more money but you are not even close to th money it takes to just even buy an national event ticket.

Now here is the interesting part, NO nitro. That's right just door slammers and a class for bikes. it is a run what you brung and hope you brung enough. This is just like days of old. Contrary to what you hear, on the east coast it was 90% door slammers and altereds and 10% nitro cars until the funnys came along.

The concept is brillant and understands his audience and sponsors and improves the experience for both.

The number of "bums on seats" was proof enough to me that the whole free ticket thing is going to get people through the gates. Hopefully this is a profitable way of running an event as it leads to a lot of exposure for the sponsors and a lot of merchandise sales.

Gee, free entry, filling the stands, putting on a great event, selling sponsorships......seems to be everything the NHRA is not doing. I said early last year that the ADRL will eventually overtake the NHRA and their incompetence. The steady growth in every aspect of their organization is making that a good bet. I would venture that the ADRL will eventually start sanctioning tracks, and when that happens it will definitely change the face of the sport.

So the ADRL is basically selling a list of names to the sponsor and in trade you get to see a race. Or should I say 70,000 out of 800,000 attend.

I like the fact that a drag racing series is doing well but there selling there fans names. I guess I'd rather purchase a ticket and keep my name private from solicitors. I can't imagine this tactic working over a long period of time.

Todd, the ADRL is the best racing series going. There arent going anywhere soon but to bigger and better places. Trust me. Its a win-win situation. The fan gets in free, the ADRL gets payed for the ticket from the sponsor, the sponsor gets to advertise in front of 50,000 plus fans, etc. Not to mention its the best doorslammer racing in the world. There were 50 blown pro mods there this weekend. 25 or so nitrous cars. Were else can you see 75 plus promods in one day.

Sure, you have to pay to park but big deal. Parking was $10 this weekend at the motorplex. There's alot of races on NHRA's circuit you have to buy your $65 ticket plus pay to park. And the ADRL is a bargain b/c you can pay $20 for vip parking and take a ice chest in with you and you dont ahve to purchase $5 cokes all day. Its so worth it.

As for having to fill out your info, I can tell you this. I have been to about 10 ADRL events. I have always filled out the info correctly and to this day I have NEVER been contacted by anyone other than the ADRL and thats only b/c I am in there founding member program.

Gee, free entry, filling the stands, putting on a great event, selling sponsorships......seems to be everything the NHRA is not doing. I said early last year that the ADRL will eventually overtake the NHRA and their incompetence. The steady growth in every aspect of their organization is making that a good bet. I would venture that the ADRL will eventually start sanctioning tracks, and when that happens it will definitely change the face of the sport.

Compare the purse and expenses of an ADRL vs NHRA event and you'll find a Mountain of difference. The idea that Free tickets is what it takes to fill the stands doesn't make the sport of Drag racing look to good.

Compare the purse and expenses of an ADRL vs NHRA event and you'll find a Mountain of difference. The idea that Free tickets is what it takes to fill the stands doesn't make the sport of Drag racing look to good.

Actualy Joe.. it makes the sport of drag racing look even better to potential sponsors...

think about it....full grand stands in todays economy... its all about exposure...

the only thing the ADRL is way behind on is the tv broadcast...production is fine..just needs a larger market coverage a different network...if that ever happens.. expect even more mainstreme companys to jump on board...(i would love to know how the ADRL compares to the IRL on VS Channel... in ratings)

And you are 100% right... the cost difference .. is HUGE.. but thats why the ADRL looks so good to sponsors also...

Billy

It's not all about the purse. This also proves a racing organization can be very successful without relying on nitro cars, therefore substantially reducing their financial outlay. Whatever it takes to get that many people in front of the sponsors is good, even if that means giving away the tickets. If what I've heard is true about the sponsors reimbursing for the free tickets, then that is even better. Sponsors are only paying for the exposure they actually obtain, instead of a general price based on speculative attendance. All aspects of this program, especially in this economy, seem to make it the best option out there.

It's not all about the purse. This also proves a racing organization can be very successful without relying on nitro cars, therefore substantially reducing their financial outlay. Whatever it takes to get that many people in front of the sponsors is good, even if that means giving away the tickets. If what I've heard is true about the sponsors reimbursing for the free tickets, then that is even better. Sponsors are only paying for the exposure they actually obtain, instead of a general price based on speculative attendance. All aspects of this program, especially in this economy, seem to make it the best option out there.

Nobody has yet to prove what giving away FREE TICKETS proves other than the fact that fans WON'T pay to see it! Could you imagine the Clusterf**k that would insure should NHRA do the same? I probably wouldn't want to deal with that hassle.

Nobody has yet to prove what giving away FREE TICKETS proves other than the fact that fans WON'T pay to see it! Could you imagine the Clusterf**k that would insure should NHRA do the same? I probably wouldn't want to deal with that hassle.

Joe... for me to leave the house and go across town for a full it day it costs me $100 for caregiver to sit and take care of someone in my family... something i usualy do 24/7... i go for both days.. so i pay $200 for the event...

i mailed out 2500 free tickets to people as far away as New York and over to Texas and down to Tampa Fla... it cost to travel so they are paying to come see those events.. and believe it or not.. their are people that pull in and buy a ticket to the event...$20... which is nuts to me.. when the are right down the road at a Quick Stop for free...lol ...not alot of people but still do....some do...

Also.. every week some where in the US people do pay to see this type of events... at their local drag strip... Peidmont Dragway in NC host the Big Dog shows.... packed house each event held once a month... on a thrusday.. and i am sure if you check around there are several other groups that hold Pro Mod/Door car events and those shows do well and are paid to see...

the ADRL just offers an all-star event that is brought to you on someone elses dime...

And some where in the depths of the NHRA they would love to have packed grandstands again in this economy no matter how they got them...so they could justify the cost to their sponsors and what they are paying for.. same goes for teams and the tracks themselves..(plus more butts in the seats equal more food and beverage sales)

Heard a funny way of putting it the other day... its like buying a car.. you sign the papers... take you friends for a ride.. and then you pay for what you liked and your friends liked....paying for it after it proved is worth....lol

Billy

Joe... for me to leave the house and go across town for a full it day it costs me $100 for caregiver to sit and take care of someone in my family... something i usualy do 24/7... i go for both days.. so i pay $200 for the event...

i mailed out 2500 free tickets to people as far away as New York and over to Texas and down to Tampa Fla... it cost to travel so they are paying to come see those events.. and believe it or not.. their are people that pull in and buy a ticket to the event...$20... which is nuts to me.. when the are right down the road at a Quick Stop for free...lol ...not alot of people but still do....some do...

Also.. every week some where in the US people do pay to see this type of events... at their local drag strip... Peidmont Dragway in NC host the Big Dog shows.... packed house each event held once a month... on a thrusday.. and i am sure if you check around there are several other groups that hold Pro Mod/Door car events and those shows do well and are paid to see...

the ADRL just offers an all-star event that is brought to you on someone elses dime...

And some where in the depths of the NHRA they would love to have packed grandstands again in this economy no matter how they got them...so they could justify the cost to their sponsors and what they are paying for.. same goes for teams and the tracks themselves..(plus more butts in the seats equal more food and beverage sales)

Heard a funny way of putting it the other day... its like buying a car.. you sign the papers... take you friends for a ride.. and then you pay for what you liked and your friends liked....paying for it after it proved is worth....lol

Billy

Billy there's no denying that formula works for ADRL, it would NEVER work for NHRA Natl. events! Just too much money that any sponsor would be willing to pay for! Remember we're talking 500-700 cars depending on the race, not 135-150????

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back