CHRR 2015 (1 Viewer)

This is very cool bucket list item Mark! Congrats on putting it together. Awesome awesome awesome.
Some random points:

The track is about 20 minutes north of Bakersfield proper.

When on the 99 going north, exit at Lerdo highway. There is a Chevron gas station there. Go east a short amount, and take a left at Zerker road. It takes you thru the back country orchards. They grow oranges, almonds, grapes and stuff. Nice scenery. It will take you north and t-bones at Famoso road. Make a right eastbound, and the track is a short drive and on the right.

The first entrance you'll see is the racers entrance, the 2nd is for the middle parking lot and the 3rd is for the side lots.

On Saturday, try to be there at least by 8am or you'll be stuck parking on the side of the road you came in on. The Zerker road shortcut bypasses the long line of backed up traffic that can form there. I've seen it go all the way to 99 almost.

If you don't have tickets already, get all three days' tickets on Friday. The ticket line on Saturday can get very long. This way you can breeze right on in.

The doubletree has a wing-ding on Friday night. Beacuse I am usually hanging out in the pits on Friday night, I have never made it in time to attend the formal dinner presentation but it looks like a nice time. Big Mac usually emcees. They give speeches and honor the honorees. Big Jim Dunn is this year's grand marshall. By the time I get there, the ceremony has let out and the guests are mingling everywhere.They will have a mini cackle fest afterwards in the front area there.

In-N-Out is on Panama lane. Zingo's and Milt's diners are usually where the racers eat breakfast in the mornings.

On Saturday, is the cackle fest. try to secure spots on the fence for that. You WILL get blasted by nitro.

Try to sneak in to the Smokers bleacher that is in the back corner behind the left lane water box for a while. They usually have it roped off because it's "for them only" but maybe they'll be cool and let ya in. Say you're visiting from far away and just want to take a few pics.

Kevin Stith has THE BEST t-shirts on the midway. Hopefully he will have the trailer there.

Bring a small radio device that has fm radio. The track speaker system sucks bad. I'm not sure what the radio frequency is, but I usually have a small mp3/radio with an earphone and it keeps me informed with the track activity.
-or-
find a bleacher that has a speaker in front of it.

When F/C is called to the lanes, a forest of fiberglass is created in the staging lanes. I go down there and walk in between all the cars. Very cool to be amongst all those machines.

You will need to sacrifice some on track racing viewing to be able to walk around and take in the whole facility. Definitely try to take it all in. I usually sacrifice the slower classes of jr fuel, b/gas, c/gas, d/gas, Nostalgia Eliminator II, and N/E III.

N/E I and a/gas are fun to watch. Both are 7.60 index classes.

Sunday will be a much smaller crowd with no need to rush for parking.

The winner's circle trophy pic taking deal is like a nice cherry on a great sundae.

Famoso is an old track with tons of history, character, and is the mecca of nostalgia drag racing. I won't be able to make it this time but nonetheless, I frickin love that track. I hope you and Alan like it too. March Meet is just as fun if not more.

Thanks for all the tips Paul! We bought tickets for all 3 days about a month ago. I'm sorry you won't be able to be there. It would be nice to see you, haven't seen you in a while it seems. Will you be able to attend the Nationals in Vegas the following weekend? Al and I are heading back to Vegas on Sunday night and I'm staying thru the Nationals. Suzi is flying out to Vegas on Saturday while we're in Bakersfield so we'll meet up with her on Sunday night.

Paul, I've never been a fan of the Lerdo Hwy into the track. Myself, 99 north take the 65 exit towards Porterville to Famoso Rd and turn left, track is on the left about a mile down the road.

Been both ways many times and tend to agree with Mike. Take the Porterville route and as you make the long climb out of the ravine, you'll see a house off into the distance. That's your marker of where Famoso Rd is. When you start seeing red fencing on your left, you know your close. Porterville has a Wall Mart distribution center close by so watch out for speeding trucks (and drunk drivers).

Zerker Rd. is more scenic than Hwy 65. As you go through the ravine you'll notice a nice horse ranch on the right (I believe that is Buck Owens's spread) and note the bronze statues of dinosaurs. But also beware that these are working ranches and farms. Watch out for slow moving farm equipment on the road or someone pulling out of the fields and on to the road. Had that happen several times and why we stick with the Hwy 65.

Sorry we're going to miss you this time Paul. At some point before the end of the year we'll be heading up to Santa Maria to pick up that '34 Ford Foster has of ours. We should meet for lunch.

I saw the news about the mudslides that affect Hwy 58 near Tehachapi. We planned on driving that route across from Vegas, but fortunately, it appears the detour only adds about 15 miles to the trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Will you be able to attend the Nationals in Vegas the following weekend?
I wish.. Really bummed about that. The Santa Barbara County property tax collector says it deserves my money more than I do, so it cut my fun budget. My halloween costume was gonna be funny too. Oh well. I don't think I'll be able to make Pomona either.

Sorry we're going to miss you this time Paul. At some point before the end of the year we'll be heading up to Santa Maria to pick up that '34 Ford Foster has of ours. We should meet for lunch.
Which Foster? Lunch sounds good!

Thanx Mike and Gino for the idea of the 65. I'll try that next time I go.

I saw the news about the mudslides that affect Hwy 58 near Tehachapi. We planned on driving that route across from Vegas, but fortunately, it appears the detour only adds about 15 miles to the trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone!
I saw the news footage too. Whoa! I drive that route when I go to Vegas.

If 58 is still closed then take the 58 to 14 south to the 138 west to the 5 north and you should be just fine.

Mark, I would think the 58 would be open by Thursday.

Paul, Steve Foster. But I would think Art would join us too. If lunch is up to me it's Shaw's Steakhouse, although I've never been to Jocko's.

Mike, you never finished your story Saturday. Next time.

Ah. If my property ever sells and I can kill the property tax issue on it, I want Steve to paint my pile of junk:

IMG_2788-.jpg

Ha! I was thinking Jocko's. And I have never in the 30 some odd years I've lived here been to Shaw's. I drive by it almost every day.

Oh Mark, I remembered a couple other things:

The famous BAKERSFIELD sign is on Sillect ave next to the Buck Owens Crystal Palace hotel. It's right off the 99 at Rosedale which is where the Doubletree is. Behind the B.O.C.P. is a La Quinta and behind that, is an IHOP.

The AM PM gas station right there has good gas prices too. That Rosedale / 99 intersection is a little tricky but manageable.

I'm not sure if Chuy's restaurant is gonna have a kickoff party Thursday.

Parking for Doubletree will be very difficult. In all the years I have been going I have never been able to find a spot there. There's a Carl's jr across the street and sometimes I'll park there. There's a Hooters up the block there too.

Paul, dust that Pro Mod '68 Chevy Camaro off and lets go A/Gas racing.:D Love the blower and bug catcher sticking out of the hood.

Mark, There is also a Costco next to the Clarion Hotel were you may be able to park for the Double Tree festivities. Otherwise, there's a Hungry Hunter in the Clarion parking lot. If you do dinner there, I'm sure no one will say anything about parking. Lots of racers will spill over there later on after the fire up. ;)

There's also a Black Angus across the side street from the Double Tree too, but that restaurant and parking lot will be packed.

Hey Mark, thanks for coming by our pits. It was my pleasure to meet you. Glad you and your brother enjoyed yourselves. All-in-all us Californians aren't as bad as some may think.

Mr. Hartman, I wanted to meet you in the staging lanes, but we were having a hard time with our program and I couldn't get the timing down right.

Dave, walked through the Cackle Car Pits with my dad, but got pulled away before we made it over to Roger's car. Sorry we missed you.

The highlight (and lowest point) of the weekend was being able to spend some time with my favorite Geezer, Jess Tyree. The lowest point came when he told me he has Mesothelioma and the doctor gave him six months. Said his goal now is to make it the March Meet and I hope to see him there.

We had a tense moment on Thursday. I was talking to old friend Tim Pearl with the Code III car when another driver asks if we need any fuel because the fuel truck was being evicted by the NHRA and they said the racers will just have to feign for themselves. Our nitro hadn't been delivered and we didn't bring any cross country so I gathered up Philip Hartmann of our crew and we walk to the fuel truck to get our drum before they leave. When we get there we ask about the situation and are told that they now said they could stay but they weren't sure they wanted to but would deliver our nitro and if we brought jugs would pump our alcohol before leaving. Big relief because I didn't think the Bakersfield WalMart carried nitro.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back