Chip Ganassi Going Drag Racing? (1 Viewer)

That was a good article, and a nice endorsement for drag racing by the writer. It would be very cool to see Ganassi get involved in drag racing.

The sport would only benefit by having someone like Ganassi in the sport.

There's no doubt he has the resources, but he's a businessman first. And I can't imagine him seeing NHRA as a profit venture, but even if it was just a 1-2 year deal, I say Bring it on!;)

I actually think it would be a profit venture. I'll bet he knows exactly how much it costs to run a car over here, and I'll also bet if he fielded a team, he would secure a sponsor for at least a 3 year deal, and for enough money to have something left over after all the bills are paid. Making money in any kind of racing all boils down to the sponsor deals, as no series comes close to paying enough in purses to make it a profitable venture.

Somebody like Ganassi could work a neat package deal to attract sponsors. One sponsor for X dollars could be on his NASCAR, IRL and NHRA teams. That would provide great exposure and be good for the sponsors marketing purposes. DSR uses this technique well with its drag racing teams now - basically if you sponsor one team, you also get exposure on all the other cars. This helps is the competitive nature of getting sponsor dollars and certainly would give Ganassi an edge when making sponsor proposals for NASCAR dollars, which are certainly going to be his main concern - essentially sponsor our NASCAR and get the IRL and NHRA cars for free.

points-qualifying changes / hd partners /
another bruton strip / chip gnassi thoughts

you can not say nhra drag racing is stagnant.
i say the future looks bright.
not nascar bright, just somewhere between now and nascar.

It would be cool to have Ganassi involved. He wouldn't have to spend as much $$$ over here.

There's no doubt he has the resources, but he's a businessman first. And I can't imagine him seeing NHRA as a profit venture, but even if it was just a 1-2 year deal, I say Bring it on!;)
Several people have made a nice living in Drag Racing.............Snake, Force, Bernstien are a few, A Drag Racing Team can surely sustain itself, and prosper if it's managed and marketed on a top tier level.

Nice to have some POSITIVE news.....

.....I'd LOOOOOVE to see Chip over in NHRA. 100% Blue Chip professional operation.

Also like to see Joe Gibbs and Jack "Cat in the Hat" Rousch back.
Those are guys who could manage multi-car teams and put on a show.

'Course that wouldn't stop some folks from whining about "too much money" in the sport.

I've always subscribed to the "the high tide lifts all boats" philosophy.

Actualy Chip has a mass deal in place with TARGET already... NASCAR, IRL and the Grand-American Rolex Series.... DRO has mentioned this before... and CHip has stated there are enough funds to do a Drag operation as well....

Rumor around is he has his people actively seeking cost on equipment and suport equipment for at team.. or two....

To CHips credit.. he is a racer.... he makes a living form racing.. no backup busines to cover the losses... if he can break even or make a profit hwe will be here soon enough...

Billy

Several people have made a nice living in Drag Racing.............Snake, Force, Bernstien are a few, A Drag Racing Team can surely sustain itself, and prosper if it's managed and marketed on a top tier level.

True Lance, but Snake, Force and Bernstein have been in in the sport since the 60's-70's. Plus, your talking about drivers that have won Multiple championships! What about the sport as a whole?:rolleyes:

makes you wonder which open wheel driver he would bring into nhra

Maybe not an open wheel racer ( as the trend is lately in NASCAR) but what about NASCAR drivers. I heard John Andretti say on the radio a few months ago that he would like to give Top Fuel a try again in the future.I think that exposure would be great.

I would think that having there in-house NASCAR engine shop build P/S motors
would help them test new things that would someday be used in there NASCAR program. I do know that lots of those guys take an interest in P/S because of the ideas they have tested but didn't have the durability but is prefect for P/S.
Thats the main reason why you see P/S teams sprouting up NASCAR country.

G.A
VCR
Barry Grant
Tom Hammonds (Florida)

But I would assume if it ever happened I'm sure it would be a nitro burner.

There can't be all that great of a ROI on sponsorhip in the sports cars he owns. Drag racing surely gets a longer look by the general public, than that type of racing.

........i say the future looks bright.
not nascar bright, just somewhere between now and nascar.

I'm all for growing our sport but If it ever gets like Nascar and if the people ever get as big-headed and smug as they are in Nascar, I'm gone. There are a lot of very nice and down to earth people in Drag Racing which I think is an asset. Drag Racing needs to grow, but not too big. How close to John Force does anybody think we could get if we were like Nascar?

Dave

I'm all for growing our sport but If it ever gets like Nascar and if the people ever get as big-headed and smug as they are in Nascar, I'm gone. There are a lot of very nice and down to earth people in Drag Racing which I think is an asset. Drag Racing needs to grow, but not too big. How close to John Force does anybody think we could get if we were like Nascar?

Dave

About as close as you can get to Dale JR.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back