Chattanooga man accidentally killed at Ringgold drag strip (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Anybody hear anything about this?
The local drag racing community is mourning the loss of one of its own following a tragic accident Saturday night that claimed the life of a Chattanooga man who was working at the Brainerd Optimist Dragway in Ringgold.

53-year-old Johnny Walker, who had worked at the track for 18 years, was run over prior to the start of a race around 7 p.m., and then rushed to Erlanger hospital in Chattanooga.

Walker died the next day after he was taken off of life support by his family.

During a charity event that was taking place, 22-year-old Hillary Mason, was being lined up by track workers when she rapidly accelerated in reverse and backed up over Walker, reports show.

When Catoosa County sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, Mason had already left the track, reports show.

Mason never actually returned to the track, but did show up at the Sheriff's Office with her father a little while after the incident so that she could discuss the incident with detectives.

As the case stands now, Mason isn't facing any criminal charges.

"There have been no charges filed at this time," said Maj. Gary Sisk. "The case is under investigation, but so far there is nothing to indicate that the incident was a criminal act. The case appears to be an accident, but we will present our investigation to the district attorney's office when we're finished, and they would make a determination on the case from there."

Hillary Mason has not returned phone calls seeking comment on the incident.

Saturday's "Draggin' for Toys" event at the strip raised money for T.C. Thompson Children's Hospital at Erlanger and also collected toys for Providence Ministries.
CatWalkChatt - Chattanooga man accidentally killed at Ringgold drag strip

From what I gleamed from the Yellow Bullet was that the transbrake broke and instead of sending the car forward when she hit the accelerator, it went into reverse. One of those freak things that you never expect to happen.

Sad deal all around.

From what I gleamed from the Yellow Bullet was that the transbrake broke and instead of sending the car forward when she hit the accelerator, it went into reverse. One of those freak things that you never expect to happen.

Sad deal all around.
Pretty sh!tty of her to bail and leave the track!

How would you react if you just killed somebody?
I sure as hell wouldn't pack up my sh!t and just bail! And for proof, here's a little story for you:

Several years ago when I was living in Portland, OR I had a couple days off and decided to take a little road trip that would end up on the coast. I went down to Woodburn, OR and was going to follow Hwy 219 past the drag strip and then meander out to the coast. I'm driving along right at 60 mph when I see a flash of green out of the corner of my left eye. I turned my head and it was a woman migrant worker on a John Deere Gator, she had her head turned looking behind her and was barreling right towards the highway. I mashed the brakes and swerved hard right and went from 60 to about 30 when we hit front corner to front corner. I thought for sure she was dead.

I jumped out of my car and looked around and couldn't find her and the first thought in my head was that she was under my car! I dove belly first to the ground to find her, but she wasn't under there. When we hit it tossed her off of the Gator and it made a circle and rolled over her but she wasn't pinned under it. I immediately called 911 and did what I could to make sure she was OK and comfort her until the ambulance arrived.

She miraculously lived with no major injuries but it messed me up enough that I ended up on sleeping pills and anti-depressants for 2 or 3 months. I stuck around and did what I was supposed to do, I didn't pack up my stuff and just leave somebody there to die. That woman at the track is nothing but a coward.

Last edited:
You've typed some pretty amazing things over the years Mr. Busch, but this last one goes right to the top of the "Ignorant to the facts" list.

You've typed some pretty amazing things over the years Mr. Busch, but this last one goes right to the top of the "Ignorant to the facts" list.
She backed over a guy and killed him and then left the track, what else is there to figure out?

Very sad to learn of the passing of this man. Mr. Walker must have had a lot of love for what he did; 18 years is a lot of dedication. My condolences to his family and friends.

You weren't there.....but you know ALL the facts....AMAZING !!:mad:

I heard she engaged the transbrake without putting the tranny in gear. No matter what, she left the track before authorities arrived and only later talked to deputies with her dad. That's cowardly.

Last edited:
I SECOND THAT ...................:eek:

It seems like you two idiots are the ignorant ones. It was driver error, and then she left the track before authorities arrived on the scene. Race track or not, you don't split the scene before authorities arrive after you've just killed somebody, accident or not. That's pure cowardly.

I agree with Brent on this. While no one is ever sure how you'd personally handle the situation, it was a cowardly act to leave the track. On the road if you leave the site of an accident you are charged.

He hadn't died when she left the track. He had obviously been taken to the hospital and wasn't pronounced dead until the next day. She probably had no clue that she would need to speak to the law at that point. It didn't happen on a public road. Heck, I might have left too. That was a pretty traumatic thing to be a part of.
I feel so sorry for her. She has to live with that for the rest of her life. She will never, ever get completely over it.
I've had tranny brake issues with my dragster a couple of times. They're not fool proof. We won't fire the car up unless someone is strapped in the car or it's on jack stands. And, we won't allow anyone behind the car during the burnout or staging.

I agree with Brent on this. While no one is ever sure how you'd personally handle the situation, it was a cowardly act to leave the track. On the road if you leave the site of an accident you are charged.

What was she going to accomplish by staying at the track?

Everyone knew she was the driver of the vehicle that was involved, so she wasn't avoiding the incident. This was not a hit and run situation to avoid detection.

People more qualified than her were on the scene and helping the victim, so not much for her to do there. I assume there were other track personnel involved directing her where and how to move her vehicle out of the way in a manner that didn't create more problems.

Was she supposed to continue to compete on this day? Was she expected to make herself available to explain to all the others at the track what happened? So explain what was "cowardly" about packing up her stuff and going home to try and settle down. And she did go to the police station the next day on her own volition.

One of the first things I learned at the track was to never stand directly behind a running race car behind the starting line. She is not the first to accelerate quickly backwards, by driver error or mechanical failure, nor will she be the last. And things do come flying back, usually thrown by the rear tires.

Great post Virgil!!! My sentiments exactly. When I read the first "cowardly" comment, I was telling myself "this guy can't be serious!" It was an accident and nothing else, the gentleman had been taken to the hospital and word of his condition had not yet been released. I am sure she was completely distraught over the situation and staying at the track would not accomplish anything, other than contribute to her anguish.

And she didn't even have to pack up. It was not her car, rather a dragster she was allowed to use that day, for the first time. That dragster is owned by the track manager. So it was still on the property when the authorities arrived.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back