Capps' penalty (1 Viewer)

For the Funny Cars, what you suggest would burn the tires off the car every run, not a great idea..... LoL
Alan
What if they ran them between the rear tires, under the axle housing... Didn't Gablich do that on his R/E Vega panel F/C (the one that tried to kill him)? And don't they do that on some of the SCTA cars on the salt?

Maybe Tim Grose would make a comeback!
Gators-1986.jpg
That had to look so cool at night. How many windshields do you think they had in the trailer.

Here's an idea! Make the big $$ teams run the same headers that the small independent teams do. The low $ teams can't afford to delaminate bodies, or burn decals off every pass, that should solve the problem.

Curious...why are the headers on Capps' car not angled outwards, the same as every other car? They are not the only ones vinyl graphics, yet they are the only ones who are burning bodies. That leads my uneducated mind to believe that there is something unique to Capps' setup. Is it an issue with dropping cylinders? Driveablity?

Here's an idea! Make the big $$ teams run the same headers that the small independent teams do. The low $ teams can't afford to delaminate bodies, or burn decals off every pass, that should solve the problem.

There are so few things left that the teams can experiment with. There is hardly any room for innovation in the class as it is.

What if they ran them between the rear tires, under the axle housing... Didn't Gablich do that on his R/E Vega panel F/C (the one that tried to kill him)? And don't they do that on some of the SCTA cars on the salt?

Are you trying to turn Ron into a piece of charcoal? Besides wouldn't all that extra piping reduce horsepower and add weight?

Curious...why are the headers on Capps' car not angled outwards, the same as every other car? They are not the only ones vinyl graphics, yet they are the only ones who are burning bodies. That leads my uneducated mind to believe that there is something unique to Capps' setup. Is it an issue with dropping cylinders? Driveablity?

Capps isn't the only one with this issue. I've seen pics of Force, Worsham, and Beckman with burnt decals. What I'm not sure about is if this is an issue that predominately effects bodies that are decaled/wrapped over paint. Either way if the bodies are being heat damaged from the header flames I don't see why there's an issue with putting a piece of metal on the headers to try and deflect the flames from the side.

Once on Jack Beckman's car they had some kind of sensors on the outside of the body that measured the body temp in the area effected by the heat from the headers.

I say just let them all run 'em, maybe limit the height of the plate or whatever. But it would sure beat having to constantly repair the bodies/paint/wraps. I highly doubt there's any performance advantage anyway, I believe Capps proved that.

In Chicago qualifying show Capps seemed to be calling out a particular team complaining about the laid back headers. Who is it? Force? Seems to be having some control problems lately.

In Chicago qualifying show Capps seemed to be calling out a particular team complaining about the laid back headers. Who is it? Force? Seems to be having some control problems lately.
By the way that TPed defended it on TV, I immediately thought that it might be Cruz.

Last edited:
Kevin McKenna posted this on Twitter:
"Maybe the best illustration of how the new swept-back headers affect Funny Car bodies."

CnBaktZWYAAzaAT.jpg

Seems like this may be getting more attention than we know ... whether its a safety concern or due to complaints (see the story) remains to be seen. I think we can all admit that the performance jump in FC in the last 2 seasons has been incredible to say the least and obviously has assignable cause (innovation, if you will).

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...-laid-back-headers-for-funny-cars-in-jeopardy

These top FC's are surpassing the top speed marks regularly set by TF back at the 1/4 mile distance. So after all the changes of the recent years to slow these cars down, crew chiefs have overcome those roadblocks and basically have an extra 320 ft to slow the same car down (maybe better) that they ran 1/4 mile. In good conditions sessions, at the infamous speed tracks, 330+ is becoming a little more common by the top few FC teams. Had 3 this weekend and only 1 in TF.

Tasca made a comment in his top end interview and Cruz commented in the booth yesterday about the laid back design and that he hasn't got there yet while still trying to find his consistency.

Be interesting to see where this goes ...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back