Capps' penalty (1 Viewer)

Ms Takin

Nitro Member
Not being at Norwalk last weekend, I was kind of shocked to receive DSR's email about Ron Capps' Q3 run being DQ'd. Below is the release - I'd like to hear from others about this? Is the plate an aero advantage or not?

"Don Schumacher was stunned late Saturday afternoon when the NHRA opted to disallow Ron Capps’ first qualifying run Saturday (third overall) in the NHRA Summit Racing Nationals at Norwalk, Ohio. Capps was quickest of the session, which was the third session of the event, and had earned 3 qualifying bonus points for the performance.

NHRA’s inconsistent ruling threw out the run and took away the points. Capps was the quickest qualifier in Session 1, second best in Session 2 and quickest in the fourth and final session.

Capps’ Dodge Charger R/T Funny Car made that run with a horizontal plate attached along the inside of thes headers and ONLY was used to deflect header flames from melting the NAPA AUTO PARTS vinyl branding logo on the left side of the Charger R/T body during each run.

The same plate was used in the third qualifying session two weeks ago at the NHRA event at Englishtown, N.J., but passed NHRA post-run inspection. (Photo documentation is available.)

An NHRA official alleged at Norwalk the thin plate provided an “aerodynamic advantage” which is an odd analysis considering Capps’ slowest runs at Englishtown and Norwalk occurred when the plate was used in only in the third sessions at those events."

Have seen the bodies on Capps car at several recent events this year, and they are melting the logo off like I have never seen before. Basically the NAPA is almost entirely gone. If the plate is to protect the appearance why are they the only car experiencing the problem?

With all of the header experiments going on these days, makes me think there is more to this than just cosmetics. I have not seen another big show FC with even close to the kind of flame damage they are experiencing.

Well, supposing it is more than just flame protection, I doubt we will hear that it is,
as it is secret R&D. Unless Don chimes in a says it is truly for flame protection,
just like he has chimed in and said the canopy is about safety, not a performance
advantage, we will be guessing until the cows come home.

That said, this reminds me of the thread were people noticed header flames were
higher on one side of the car (can't remember which side), so I wonder if there is
something going on with that. Perhaps R&D for engine performance enhancements
have led to hotter flames or some such,

I haven't noticed the plate. Is the angle of the header outlets on Capps' car different, such that exhaust gasses are not projected away from the body as much as on other cars?

Would seem if they are using the plates during certain sessions that those headers are different causing the graphics to get burned. So the plates may not be performance enhancing there's a reason those headers are being tried.

I would venture a guess that they are running the headers much closer to the body than anybody else in FC to gain a small aerodynamic advantage....where do the fumes (remember they have around 800lbs of downforce per cylinder) end up in relation to the body, it's wing, it's rear tires, etc

it used to be just getting combustion waste products out of the engine, now it is so powerful it can aid slipstreaming of bodied cars

It is not just Capps or the Don's cars with the problem. Conrad's cars have had problems too. There have been body delamination issues. I think NHRA is basically saying change your headers and you will not have problems. Otherwise, live with it.

It is not just Capps or the Don's cars with the problem. Conrad's cars have had problems too. There have been body delamination issues. I think NHRA is basically saying change your headers and you will not have problems. Otherwise, live with it.

I think the original intent of the thread was the inconsistency of enforcing the rules. If there is even a rule on this, beside the width allowed. If that's the way it is going to be, amend the rules and enforce it consistently.

Are they not running the plate on every run (if so why)?
Are they running it on every run and the NHRA only calling them out on it once in a while, if so why?

if it is melting the graphics then how long before the melting process begins to degrade the side of the body thus a massive body cracking on the side.
heat cooling heat has to be hard on carbon fiber.

owner trying to protect sponsor logo that probably earns team more annually than winnings,
including potential championship :D

We were trying deflectors to save the NAPA logo on both sides of the car. The flanges have nothing that we know of that changes the aero effects on the car. The NAPA logo's are vinyl that does not like heat and that is the only reason we tried them 2 runs in Englishtown and again on Saturday in Norwalk on the one run. The deflector's did not seem to help the heat plum from getting to the graphics so we only were testing them on Saturdays.

If there is no rule against it then they should NOT have been penalized. period.
(once again NHRA squelches any & all innovation )
they are against an aero advantage ? are they serious, have they looked at todays FC bodies? and they worry about a small flap......

We were trying deflectors to save the NAPA logo on both sides of the car. The flanges have nothing that we know of that changes the aero effects on the car. The NAPA logo's are vinyl that does not like heat and that is the only reason we tried them 2 runs in Englishtown and again on Saturday in Norwalk on the one run. The deflector's did not seem to help the heat plum from getting to the graphics so we only were testing them on Saturdays.
Thank you Don!

IMO, the teams have laid the headers back to gain thrust which has lowered down force, so I think the have rotated them up a few degrees to gain some down force back, which essentially moves the flame pattern closer to the car. Also with the headers more vertical, dropping a cylinder would have less effect on sideway movement. They are looking for that sweet spot of foward momentum and downforce. The shields are probably insignificant. Remember the headers are a compound angle so a degree one way moves it a degree another way. They are trying to compensate for the down force without loosing thrust.

nhra won't race at night anyways, with exception of a few races with nite qualifying......why not just collect the exhaust and
blow it under the chassis? (i.e. PS headers)......put a heat barrier under the driver's butt.....it's only 3.8 seconds.
then you would have max. forward thrust......need more downforce?.....more rear wing.
how come PS has original style headers under chassis?, but pro mod has a variety of exhaust designs?
how come PS can't try something different with their exhaust?

nhra won't race at night anyways, with exception of a few races with nite qualifying......why not just collect the exhaust and
blow it under the chassis? (i.e. PS headers)......put a heat barrier under the driver's butt.....it's only 3.8 seconds.
then you would have max. forward thrust......need more downforce?.....more rear wing.
how come PS has original style headers under chassis?, but pro mod has a variety of exhaust designs?
how come PS can't try something different with their exhaust?

Mike,
Pro Stock racers have tried EVERYTHING with header designs. There's not A Pro Stock team out there that doesn't have 50 sets of experimental headers that didn't work. A naturally aspirated engine and a power adder engine are different animals, whether that power adder is a blower, a turbo or nitrous. Mike Edwards was the first I know of that had the venturis on the headers and he kept them covered up for months. Now many of the teams run them. But header experimentation is alive and well in Pro Stock.

For the Funny Cars, what you suggest would burn the tires off the car every run, not a great idea..... LoL
Alan

NHRA should just make them run short fuel altered style headers through the hood!

j/k ;)

NHRA should just make them run short fuel altered style headers through the hood!

j/k ;)

Maybe Tim Grose would make a comeback!
Gators-1986.jpg

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back