Bob Motz Burned (1 Viewer)

Jim

Nitro Member
WSAZ-TV in Huntington, West Virginia, repoerted Saturday night that jet truck racer Bob Motz was badly burned at Kanawha Valley Dragway on Saturday night, during their "Night of Fire" race. They showed one picture, it appeared the truck was on or behind the starting line and was fully engulfed in flames. He was airlifted to a hospital in Huntington with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. They reported that "racing continued" after the incident.

That just sucks. I've always loved watching him run because he always puts on a good show. Get well Bob!

The News said 3 people were bunned, Bob Motz and two others trying to help him out of truck. Go to Google.com and type in Bob Motz. link to news.
Also very good footage of Bob at past events on Youtube .com Including side by side race against Shockley Semi.

I first heard about this just after 9pm as I was collecting my 2nd round loss money @ Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park. Pat Ellerholz from Bar's Leaks called the race track to inform them of what happened to their good friend of many years. Pat said that Bob was talking before being air lifted. I also heard something about raw fuel was in the cockpit. I'm sure that some updated news will be posted and please keep Bob & the entire Motz family in your prayers as Bob will have a painful recovery!

That sucks, I will definately be praying for him.
isn't KVD under new management?

Bob likes the same cheap fuel stop in Wytheville, VA that I do and I've run into him more than once when he was on his way to put on a show. Never seen him be anything but super nice.

Breaking News: Name Released in Kanawha Valley Raceway Accident
Posted: 8:36 PM Jun 23, 2007
Last Updated: 10:09 PM Jun 23, 2007
Reporter: Amanda Barren
Email Address: [email protected]
What was supposed to be a night of thrills at the Kanawha Valley Raceway.

It's the 2007 "Night of Fire" but that title took on a very literal and dangerous meaning.

The marketing director at the track tells us Bob Motz was in his truck at the starting line when it caught fire.

He suffered second and third degree burns and was air-lifted to cabell huntington hospitals burn unit.

Also injured was a track worker. He suffered some minor burns and is expected to be okay.

The State Fire Marshal is on the scene along with the Point Pleasant Fire Department, Mason County EMS and the Mason County Sheriff's Department.

I live 5 miles from the hospital....if I can get any updates I will let everybody know.

Here is a link for a video.

WSAZ - News

Last edited:
Steve,I could'nt imagine witnessing something like that.Had to be devastating for everyone.I hope Bob makes a full recovery.I also hope the next time a fire like that happens,there can be a well informed, dressed in full gear,fire crew close by.

I heard just now they have transferred Bob to Columbus.

From all indications this is going to be a tough recovery. Let's all remember Bob right now.

I was there last night and actually witnessed it. It was horrific, I have never seen anything go up that fast. The worst part was the fire department was down at the opposite end of the track and it took them over 3 minutes to get up there. By the time they arrived to the starting line Bob has fell out of the passenger side door and was laying in the fire, still on fire after being in the truck for over 2 minutes. Then the idiots with the fire department took their time getting out of the truck and slowly put on their fire suits and took their sweet time unrolling the fire hose, then sprayed the truck while Bob layed on the ground still on fire. The starting line official who has been with the track since they opened risked his own life and reached into the fire and pulled Bob out, receiving burns to his arms and hands. Bob was forced to take his own fire suit off which was still on fire and his helmet to get away from the fire, then the fire department made him get up and walk on his own to the ambulance parked in the staging lanes. My thoughts and prayers are with Bob and his family, he is still in critical condition at the Cabell Huntington burn center. I have never witnessed anything as bad as this fire, its hard to watch someone struggle the way he did to get out of that fire ball.

3 minutes to travel from the shut down area to the starting line!! :confused: Aren’t these guys ready and waiting for something to happen? What took so long?

The average response time for the Bloomington (Minnesota) Fire Department is 4.1 minutes. This includes receiving the fire call on their pager, waking up, getting out of bed, getting dressed, driving to the fire station, putting on their fire pants and jacket, starting the fire truck and driving to the scene........

3 minutes to travel a ½ mile to the starting line and then get out of the truck WITHOUT their fire jackets on is unbelievable!!! :mad:

With burns it's often whether or not the kidneys can hold up for the next week or two before we'll know if he's out of the woods.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back