Big Daddy Museum (1 Viewer)

Jenn

Nitro Member
On my vacation we went down to see the museum and took loads of pictures, some of them aren't the best qaulity and there are some repeats but since my buddy had never been to a drag race at all, he took a bunch so he could try and impress his friends.

SmugMug - MoparJenn : Don Garlits

Oh, and Thanks Joe for the Smugmug referal, I'm still on the trial but I think I might just sign on!

Hey Ninji... That looks like it was a great time! Nice to see that Big is taking good care of big chunks of our history... At some point it would be great to see the Smithsonian add a wing and get some of these on loan from Garlits and Pomona to get them in more of a less condensed setting. Even the NHRA museum seems a bit crowded at some times- full walk arounds would be great, IMHO..

It may look crowded but you have to remember that the museum is the same building as what used to be his old high performance shop .

It's not that big of a building, in fact we were talking about the building size when we pulled up. There was so much to see there, we probably spent an easy 6 hours looking around and watching the videos that they had there on display.

Yeah, I know its small- that's my point... As awesome as these pieces of equipment are, the space dedicated to them is really underwhelming.. When I go to Air and Space, or Natural History in NYC, the one thing about the visit that really awes me is the SIZE of the place.. Can you imagine if they gave Big a grant to build one big enough, staff it with knowlegable historians of the sport and build displays as fantastic as the cars themselves?

Wow Jenn, didn't realize you took so many pics! That place is packed like sardines! I can't imagine getting any more cars in there!:eek:

I love pictures, between Tom and I, we took over 1000 pictures for the 9 days of my vacation.

I thinking of upgrading my camera as the Cybershot I have isn't really good for action shots and I want better zoom. The camera that I bought was kind of a "Let's see if I really like digital photography, before I invest money". Of course, you go looking at those cameras and you say "I want a good one but I don't want to pay alot" but you get what you pay for and I think I got a pretty good pocket camera.

I use a Panasonic Lumix, SLR style digital to shoot my shows, Jenn. Great zoom, simple to use, motordrive and lots of flexability in the exposure department... Around $550, but I've seen them as low as $475... Worth looking at if you are thinking about upgrading...

Hmm...I'll look into it. Say, by tomorrow, I'll be an Auntie to #9 or is it #10, shoot, I'll have to count again :D

Canon Rebel were the ones I was originally thinking of getting. I don't want to mess with film, why do they say 35 mm? Isn't that the film strip type?

I'm hitting big daddy's next week, have to go to bradenton for the u.s. street nationals. gonna stop by bigs and shoot some pics!!

The Canon EOS 35mm film camera lenses work just fine on the Rebel - both autofocus and autoexposure work with the older (and probably more available used) EOS film camera auto-lenses. The only drawback is that the earlier lenses have a focal length that's about 1.2X the stated value when used on the digital camera body, so if you want a wide-angle lense, you'll need to buy one made specifically for the digital body.

Last edited:
The Canon EOS 35mm film camera lenses work just fine on the Rebel - both autofocus and autoexposure work with the older (and probably more available used) EOS film camera auto-lenses. The only drawback is that the earlier lenses have a focal length that's about 1.2X the stated value when used on the digital camera body, so if you want a wide-angle lense, you'll need to buy one made specifically for the digital body.
The focal length is 1.6 on the canon digitals, and its from the camera body not the lense. The lenses are the same, you dont need a special lense for wide angle. any lenses that fits the eos line of slr's (film or digital)will fit the digital rebel. they dont make any lenses specifically for digital, but that may change soon. there is even talk of putting image stabilization in the camera body. Rebel is a good camera for the average guy simple to use and not to spendy. Just stay away from the cheaper stuff, panosonic, sony, and the likes. you will be disapointed with the results you get. I'll probably catch flack for that statement, but it's the truth. look at any of the guys on the line and you wont see any junk like that up there. Nikon also has a few reasonably priced ones that are great also, I just am a canon fan. you can get new 20d's for a couple hundred more than a rebel also if you look around, they've been replaced by the 30d but they can still be found new.

I am now a big fan of the Panasonic Lumix. Leica lens..stabilization..12x Zoom with digital zoom x64. I'm having lots of fun with it..good price.

This is the very first pic I took with it..about 60yds away:

Boat.jpg

Nice write-up about it here:

LUMIX

Now Ninja Girl has to REALLY go out and get a good camera- She's a new Auntie today!!!

Congrats, Jenn... Hope Marissa and family are all doing well..:)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back