Beckman in the Matco Flopper @ Reading? (1 Viewer)

To say I am disappointed is an understatment. Nothing against Jack, but I will miss seeing Whit in the driver's seat. Hopefully, Whit will bounce back sooner rather then later.

Reinhart doesn't know what he's talking about-everyone knows that Beckman will be driving my comp car at Reading. After all, three weeks ago Lee Zane did lose in the second round at Cecil County in it. The other three weekends in he (a) won a national event at memphis (b) runnered up at Indy, and (c) won the points race at Englishtown. Clearly the second round loss more that outweighs what happened the other three weekends. Plus Beckman has agreed to not only drive my car but also to grade all of my macroeconomics homeworks-he's told me he'll be able to get a Ph. D. in Econ in the next two days, just as soon as he is admitted to MIT.

Siily season in drag racing is nothing like silly season on the Internet.

Even Better Idea for Whit.... maybe JFR can pull one of the 'back up' cars out of the attic, giving Dean Antonelli a chance to call the shots and maybe Whit can move up a little in the points:D

I am bummed out to see Whit sitting out. That F/C team was getting better. I hope he stays in the F/C wars.

Even Better Idea for Whit.... maybe JFR can pull one of the 'back up' cars out of the attic, giving Dean Antonelli a chance to call the shots and maybe Whit can move up a little in the points:D

Man, I can hear the brain gears whirring over in Yorba Linda over that one...:D

This is outrageous!! I have always been a supporter of Don, but this decision is completely pathetic!!!!!!!!! He has a championship driver in the seat of the car now, but he's pushing him out and replacing him with an unproven driver.........3/4 of the way through the season, just because he brings a small amount of financial backing for next season?

Don, if this turns out to be the case, and it looks like it is, you are making the dumbest business decision I have ever seen in this sport! Its moves like this, the "Countdown to the Championship" and MULTICAR TEAMS, that are destroying the very sport I have grow up in and love. Thanks DSR!!!

Patrick, your right...."This SUCKS!!"

Last edited:
It's been a rough couple of weeks for me, first the points debacle and now this. I was really hoping this wasn't true, hopefully Whit will land on his feet with some sort of ride for next year. It's not going to be the same without Whit out there in some form.

Pete,
I think that you will find that Jack is bringing more than a "small amount" of money to the team even though it is probably not on the level of a full sponsorship package. The main rationale behind putting Beckman in the car from this point on is that he would be earning points towards qualifying for next year's Skoal Shootout. It Whit is indeed a "lame duck" at DSR this makes sense. Whit understands the situation and was coaching Jack on his driving at ORP last weekend (not rumour--I was there and spoke with both of them)

Roo Man

Pete,
I think that you will find that Jack is bringing more than a "small amount" of money to the team even though it is probably not on the level of a full sponsorship package. The main rationale behind putting Beckman in the car from this point on is that he would be earning points towards qualifying for next year's Skoal Shootout. It Whit is indeed a "lame duck" at DSR this makes sense. Whit understands the situation and was coaching Jack on his driving at ORP last weekend (not rumour--I was there and spoke with both of them)

Roo Man

Keith, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I stand behind what I said.

I know Jack has talent and is bringing his backing with him (I forgot the name of the people), but the shift at this point doesn't make any sense to me. It might a month from now, but to move out a driver of Whit's caliber and replace him with an unproven (in FC) driver, I believe is ridiculous and it puts a black and blue mark on the sport as far as I'm concerned.

Talk about a reason to not be in favor of the 2007 playoff format. Whit is currently 8th in the Funny Car championship points standings. Would Cruz (currently in 9th place) be in as an alternate if Whit couldn't secure a ride for the rest of the season? Would such a scenerio be cause enough for a team owner to keep a driver in the seat, even if the financial benefits of replacing the driver might make better business sense?

Bob (stuck in Cedar Rapids)

Um, D....that's what we've been talking about Dear. :eek: ;) (see previous post #29 with that link)

i think this sucks!!!!!! bazemore has more talent and knowledge about fuel funny cars than this beckman guy could ever buy with someone elses money. i am pretty disapointed in don shoe for this change during the year. :mad: hopefully whit will wind up in a top notch ride next year. i just can't see him in a skinny car. i will be the one at reading this weekend BOOING when the matco car runs. anybody want to join in?

IF this were to happen, and IF Force wasn't driving for HIS sponsor's competition, it would be a hoot to see Antonelli tune him for a week or two in a Mustang. I like DSR, and I always root for Jack, but I don't like this. I don't have the money, nor am I in Don's shoes, but I can only guess that there is more to the story. I hope Whit quickly lands on his feet.

I'm not sure if it matters to you at this point, but Matco already announced they are leaving next season to go to David Powers. Shoe isn't keeping them.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back