Automatic Chute Deployment System - Status? (1 Viewer)

beltguy

Nitro Member
There were/are two systems: on car and ~~ finish line track triggered.

The first two races of the season had some pretty good blower explosions/burst panel venting and it did not look like the chutes were deployed in every case. Was that just my imagination?

On the track system, there were a few cases in previous years where the fuel cars coasted by the trigger mechanism (not under power) and the chutes deployed. Thought I saw the same sort of situation this year, but no chutes.

Jim

Last edited:
Registered member said:
The way I understand it....the ACD system deploys the chutes if the driver crosses the finish line without tossing at least one chute. Thats why when on a aborted run the driver is coasting, trying to get to the turn off, he naturaly doesn't pull the chute, so the ACD kicks in and people wonder why.

I went to Electromotion's web site and found this:

In the event that a car smokes the tires, the driver can turn off 12v power in the car and disable the system, which will allow the car to coast off the track.

Paul, you confirmed what I sort of remembered and it makes sense.

Tom, the explanation you presented would explain why the chutes were not deployed when a couple of the cars coasted across the finish line. I recall the first year that the track system was used, John Force was coasting very slowly and the chutes came out. As I recall the booth folks questioned why he would throw the silk. They quickly corrected their comments.

The question still exists, in my mind, if both systems are still in use. The big blower explosions should have triggered the system and I don't recall seeing that happen. I might have to review the DVR, but I thought maybe you folks would know off the top of your heads.

Jim

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back