Anyone need a crew chief? (1 Viewer)

That's a little rough, Rahn I don't think was ever given ample opportunity to set Morgan's car up to run his way. All this stuff with running two cars identical doesn't work, IMO. I am definitely far from a qualified crew chief, but too many variables exist between cars to run them with identical setups.

Maybe Wayne could be the guy to get Morgan running good, put Hogan back with Melanie, and have Jon Stewart assist them both.

All just my .02 though.....

What I ment is any newly hired Crew Chief is under the gun to show results,
seems like it would take a year or more to get it together, but a bunch of DNQ's does not look promising. This year even the better teams have had at least 1 DNQ. Including John Force, Doug Kalitta, etc. so there is plenty in the DNQ book.

What??? Bernie was long gone to Force's team when Cruz had his championship run the 2nd half of 1992(he left during the first half of the year). The tune up was a Larry Meyer/Lee Beard tune up. You need to watch your Drag Racing 1992 video again.

Good Morning to all. This is my first post here on the mater, and I would just like to set the record straight once and for all. In 1992,my Dad Larry Meyer, was the crew chief at Jack Clark until just after Gainsville when Jack ran out of money. We had two drivers that year, Goose at Pomona, then Mike Dunn until the end at Gainsville. Dad helped Garlits with his swamp rat at Atlanta and started with Minor the next race.
The crew on the funny car consisted of Jason McCulloch, Chris McNicol, Mike Neff and Rick Cassel. That was it. When Dad came on board they were having some issues early in the run and after the whole group went through the car and fixed a few items it started to respond. And they had an awesome summer swing and end of the year to catch up to Force and win the championship.
On the current subject of Cruz and revolving crew cheifs, this is a hard business. Unfortunitly every car owner expects instant results and in multi-car teams they want everything to be equal. It just doesn't work that way, if you can find a group of talented individuals to work together then you should get the expected results. The pressure involved today is huge. Wayne is talented and can make a car run. Most any of the current guys out there can do it but it takes a total effort from the owner, driver, crew cheif, crew, sponsers, etc. to make a team great. Right now there is an extreme shortage of crew cheifs to plug into teams. Force and Kalitta are probably doing the right thing by promoting from within. There needs to be a system to help people who want to tune a car but none really exist as of now other than starting at the bottom and working up. This is how all the really good ones have made it. Cruz and Tony will find the personal necessary to make their program better, it just takes time. Hopefully Butterfield will get the chance he deserves to show he can be a part of a good team.
Thanks for the space and try not to be too hard on all of us who try to make these cars run.

Welcome to the Mater Allen. Thanks for the information. Hope to see more posts from you.

I've a feeling that the stands at any NHRA race (And NASCAR, for that matter.) are filled with people who, deep down, are convinced that given the chance, they could be just as good as any driver/crew chief out there. Really, the average fan (and keyboard crew chief.) doesn't have a clue as to how hard it really is to do this sort of thing, because the real crews make it look so "easy."

At a NASCAR race in Kansas City, I watched in the midway booth at which fans had a chance to change a tire. It was funny, watching these "bubbas" swagger up, convinced they were gonna "show 'em how it's done," and always coming out looking like bumbling incompetent idiots.

I had to lock up the brakes on the vette in Argyle last week on the way to Paris thats Texas not Hilton and skidded right through town.
My kind of town 2800 + souls
Wayne's from Jacksboro Tx. about 40 miles to the west so he and Allen are almost neighbors.
Hell's back in the good old days it was a days ride just to get to the front gate.
All right already I'll quit , I'm tired anyway had to put a rear end in a Jeep .
Go off and work for thirty days and come home to a pile of work.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back