Anybody ever heard of this Ron Pellegrini guy? ;) (1 Viewer)

Love hearing from people like John "I drove a funny car on fire" Asher!
I ran a 56 Ford Funny Car for several years that came from Carl Ruth's mold. He did a similar thing to make the buck - borrowed a friends Crown Vic and as he told me, the resin got a bit too hot and nearly gave him a heart attack wondering if he was ruining the car!

When they did this, did they make a mold off of the body and then lay up a glass reproduction or did they just put wax and release agent on the car and the glass that was laid on was the final product after some smoothing out?
Randy Walls did the same thing with a Chevy Nova. He made a mold off the passenger car - possibly a rental car - and made several bodies over the years. Story goes that they removed all the chrome trim, made the mold, put it back together, and returned it. Supposedly he still has the mold and used it to build the body currently on his car after his fire at Famoso destroyed the previous one.

Randy Walls did the same thing with a Chevy Nova. He made a mold off the passenger car - possibly a rental car - and made several bodies over the years. Story goes that they removed all the chrome trim, made the mold, put it back together, and returned it. Supposedly he still has the mold and used it to build the body currently on his car after his fire at Famoso destroyed the previous one.

Ok that makes sense I've been making glass hoods, bumpers and even a windscreen for a boat for a few years and one day just for grins I'd like to make a mold off of my 70 GS. A friend said he thought they used the glass right off of the car instead of making a mold, I'd think the mold way would produce a nicer product.

Last edited:
When they did this, did they make a mold off of the body and then lay up a glass reproduction or did they just put wax and release agent on the car and the glass that was laid on was the final product after some smoothing out?

Hans told me they put masking tap over the door, hood and trunk opening lines and splashed a mold off of it.

Hans told me they put masking tap over the door, hood and trunk opening lines and splashed a mold off of it.
Cool! I wondered if they filled the gaps with a bunch of clay, the tape would definitely be quicker and cheaper. Thanks for the info. Any idea how many pieces the mold was?

Cool! I wondered if they filled the gaps with a bunch of clay, the tape would definitely be quicker and cheaper. Thanks for the info. Any idea how many pieces the mold was?

It was many years ago. I just remember asking Hans about it and that was his reply.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back