Anybody ever heard of this Ron Pellegrini guy? ;) (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
12794901_10201492595113870_8898368687433182105_o.jpg

Someone on another board just mentioned how Ron made a mold off of a Buick Skylark from a local dealership, then cleaned it and returned it!

Ron had a lot to do in getting Shoe started in FC. Also building FC bodies. Ron comes on here occasionally.
Ever heard of the ProAm Division 3 Funny Car circuit? That was also Ron's doings.

Ron singlehandedly got me Funny Car Racing. He was the guy who hooked me up with R & B Automotive who built my first injected Funny Car. He helped me for the first year or two and assisted in teaching me business. I could go on and on about his involvement in the building of the Funny Car class.

Ron, if I may,
what are your thoughts about the whole nostalgia funny car movement and how many of them are making the bodies aerodynamic, smooth, shapeless, swoopy blobs like pro-mods?

Thank you for your contributions to racing. I love funny cars. I fell in love with them in the late 70's at Fremont Ca's Baylands raceway.

I've heard of him... the guy who shows up for a bb/fc show - in a helicopter... ;) good guy....

Hey Joe. Been going through some personal stuff but doing much better.
How have you been?
Hope all is well.

Wow this thread has brought all the old posters who don't post much now. I remember when talking in here with you guys was a daily thing. Awesome thread. Rons good people, only known him online but couldn't say a bad thing about him

Ron Pelligrini's contributions to drag racing are almost beyond counting. More than 90% of the men and women racing Funny Cars in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s were running Fiberglass Ltd.-built bodies. In addition to all of the development work Pelligrini did on those early bodies he was a prominent member of Midwest UDRA when it counted, personally running more than one of the numerous circuits of booked-in cars they fielded. He was, and continues to be, forward-thinking regarding all aspects of drag racing. Stunning as it may seem to our younger readers, Pelligrini actually drag raced on a dirt track in Illinois in the late 50s. He also drove for some guy named "TV Tom" Ivo, and with the Mustang body he mounted on an Altered frame it could be argued that he had the first blown F/C in the country. He also had a classic confrontation with Wally Parks in a hotel parking lot in Indy in the early 60s that resulted in Wally never speaking to Pelligrini again! (I'll let him tell that one if he cares to!) There's no question about how influential Pelligrini was in helping Don Schumacher get started, as Don indicated earlier. I know because I was lucky enough to have been there, too. And yes, Ron also influenced my career at a time when I was struggling to get started. He was incredibly supportive and helpful, and I've certainly never forgotten it.

Jon Asher
Senior Editor
CompetitionPlus.com
Senior Editor
Drag Racing Edge Magazine

Hans Kuesel rented a Mercedes Benz and did the same thing to make a TA/FC body.
When they did this, did they make a mold off of the body and then lay up a glass reproduction or did they just put wax and release agent on the car and the glass that was laid on was the final product after some smoothing out?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back