Any thoughts on how '07 Funny Car is going to be ? (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
One could assume the 3 Force cars won't miss a beat; plus the woman coming onboard...... throw in the new Monster car, the Kalitta Toyota, and the Matco & Brut entries.... should be a very tight season. Usedta' be Top Fuel was all locked up with heavy hitters, with the lesser-funded teams not able to crack the top 10.... I think FC is going to be that way this year. Should be really good for the fans.... as long as your favorite driver is one of about 8 people.

Chris,
Don't forget Mike and Teach, Team CSK and the The Brothers P...
And Tommy J

And that's a 16 car field of low 4.7 cars

I wouldn't bet against team Force especially since all they need to do is make the top eight with Tommy's new Welfare system then finish with the strength they've been known to produce down the stretch.

OH wouldn't it just suck when NHRA's Points chase makes the cut from 8 to 4 if all 4 JFR cars were the top 4...... Where would the excitement be then? :)

Yeah it would but you have to remember that when you start minipulating the outcome you sometimes get something different than you wanted. :rolleyes:

Could we see all 4 Force cars in the top four? Possible but I doubt it. Too many other good cars. I do expect to see it pretty bunched up and no run away winner. Should be a fight to the finish.

jim :D

OH wouldn't it just suck when NHRA's Points chase makes the cut from 8 to 4 if all 4 JFR cars were the top 4...... Where would the excitement be then? :)

It would be 100% for me. That would make my year in 2007. I would like nothing better than for that to happen but even I'm realistic and I think only 2 JFR cars will make the top 4 and only one will be in the top 2. My pick to win it all, ROBERT HIGHT. Capps 2nd again, Force 3rd, and Tped 4th. TJ Jr 5th, Medlen 6th, Mike Ashley 7th, Scelzi 8th, Worsham 9th, Ashley Force 10th. I think everyone is going to be close. I didnt include Beckman since we dont know what he's doing, but if you throw him in there, then I dont think Ashley F makes the top 10. As much as I would love for her to come right out and win, I just dont see it happening.

Here's a hypothetical long shot as food for thought.
Believing John to disagree with the new points system:
Force cars all end up final four then they carefully manipulate wins/losses/qualifying to see to it that the final three cars have the exact same number of points so the cut to two can't happen and Mr. Compton is forced to make a new rule to determine who moves on? How's about none of the final four cars qualify for or win a round in the final races?
It's just me but I'd love this new point's system made a mockery of, as the Orange car did this year in NASCAR this year winning the most post-chase races as a non chase car?

One could assume the 3 Force cars won't miss a beat; plus the woman coming onboard...... throw in the new Monster car, the Kalitta Toyota, and the Matco & Brut entries.... should be a very tight season. Usedta' be Top Fuel was all locked up with heavy hitters, with the lesser-funded teams not able to crack the top 10.... I think FC is going to be that way this year. Should be really good for the fans.... as long as your favorite driver is one of about 8 people.

You meant Oakley and Brut right? ;) There is no Matco F/C they have gone T/F.

Hey Doc you need to change your font color it doesn't work with this holiday theme backround my eyes are bad enough. LOL:)

scelzi will rebound, win at least 3
brut car the same
tj will win 2; consistent all year
densham or ashley will be the surprise winner at indy
kenny will start slow, finish strong hopefully with win
worsham cars will take 2, maybe 3
pedregon bros. will do the same
jfr to win balance
final four will be hight, medlen, scelzi and tj
scelzi wins 2nd.

My thoughts.......

Hey Doc you need to change your font color it doesn't work with this holiday theme background my eyes are bad enough. LOL:)

Bob, when that happens, I just highlight the text as though I were going to "cut & paste" it, and that makes it pop out and easy to read.

Funny car in '07 season? Well, I think if Robert Hight's team can get the consistency issues cleared up, he's going to give his Father-In-Law some real grief next year.

Ron Capps will be in the hunt again. I think the Ace is going to use the time off to study his data and will get things figured out.

Gary Densham will spend the first half of the season gathering data and establishing a consistent baseline tune up using the better parts he'll be able to afford with his new financial package. Although he's still not rolling in the money, he won't have to worry quite as much about breakage as he has the last two years, and will be able to lean on the combination a little more. I think he'll start being a thorn in everyone's butt by years end, maybe even getting another Wally for the mantle by Pomona. A top 10 finish is not out of the question for him.

You certainly can't count John out for no. 15. 'Nuff said.

Gary Scelzie has made no secret of the fact he's thinking of retiring in the not too distant future to devote more time to his family and business. It wouldn't surprise me to hear him announce this will be his last season for a while, perhaps joining the broadcast team on an irregular basis with more "Scelzie sez" productions. (C'mon you detractors. Admit it. The sight of Ron Capps in that dress was worth the price of admission alone.) He's got championship rings in both classes, and he's certainly got nothing left to prove to anyone, although I'm sure this season left a sour taste in his mouth.

I also think we've got a decent shot at T.J. and Melanie becoming the first Husband/Wife nitro winners combo in history some time this next season. Came close at least once that I can remember this last season. (Phoenix)

As for the new points system, I'm not convinced at all that it's a good idea, but they're not listening to me. We're stuck with it, and will just have to see how it all plays out.

I'll go on record here and say the season championship for '07 will go to the team that BRUTalizes the competition next year.

I'll come back in November and see if I'm a gene-yus or an idg-jit. :D

Last edited:
i think it is too early to make predictions

there are still alot of unknowns and things that need to unfold

The biggest ifs right now are probably Ashley and Ken. If those 2 teams can come out swinging, it will get interesting. A lotta potential hot cars - and that's a good thing. I just hope the Toyota is one of 'em!

AHHHHHRRRGGGG! Teri you stole my secret!!!! (About Mikres) Where do I begin the praises for Big Glenn - the bearded one??? It's been said that without him - Shirley Muldowney would have never brought Waterbed Fred & Strivectin-SD OR Zantrex-3 sponsorships to the table. And he was insturmental in the whole Austrialian deal for Kalitta. And he's the reason Alan Reinhart is truly qualified to talk about nitro motors!!! Besides all that, he's a helluva mechanic, and an even nicer guy. He's been friends with Connie forever - I'm very excited he's finally where he belongs! So, everyone who replied to this thread..... if ya'll aren't thinking about the Kalitta Toyota being in the mix... I think you might get a surprise!!!

i think tj is going to be a major threat in 07. id like to see a father daughter final sometime next year also. ashley and john battling it out in the finals! but when the dust settles in think all 4 force cars might be in the top 8 and id like to see robert hight and jimmy p win it all!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back