another failed drug test / suspension (1 Viewer)

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/21653-psm-rider-finley-discusses-nhra-suspension
anyone know anything further about this incident?
according to the article as told by the accused, sounds like he was
railroaded right outta' there?......urine sample not at right temperature?
when these stories are so often very ambiguous immediately following
the accusation; why is it even remotely fair to put the story out publicly?

Justin himself posted to that article in the comments section via Facebook (look below the article). He claims it was a complete screw job (he took the test within alotted time and exposed his genitals to the test observer as requested). While Justin was there and I wasn't, I find it difficult to believe the NHRA has anything to gain by targeting a PSB competitor that likely wasn't going to qualify anyway and then run him off for a whole year. There has to be more to this story.

Are there still any folks out there who don't think NHRA management needs to be thrown out on their ears? Where is the reason? Where is ANY sense of fair play?

Another in a long line of "decisions" showing an absolute absence of intelligence. These people are so far beyond stupid, they don't even qualify for politics.

They can take forever (how many months now?) to ok an enclosed cockpit that could very well save lives. But if your pee isn't warm enough, out you go this instant? Absolutely amazing.

Y'all want to know where the problem with our sport starts and ends? Look no further than the over-paid Nazis in Glendora.

Why do they need so many samples? And if they were watching him, they obviously know the samples were coming from him. So why would the temp. even be an issue? Seems very strange to me.

Of course I don't know the whole story, but I don't think it's a case of the NHRA targeting someone. I do think, however, that the 3rd party NHRA chose to handle this, may be more to blame than Finley. But again, I certainly don't have all the facts.

Justin himself posted to that article in the comments section via Facebook (look below the article). He claims it was a complete screw job (he took the test within alotted time and exposed his genitals to the test observer as requested). While Justin was there and I wasn't, I find it difficult to believe the NHRA has anything to gain by targeting a PSB competitor that likely wasn't going to qualify anyway and then run him off for a whole year. There has to be more to this story.

Not a believer in these tests anyway, as it's a guess at best....metabolisms are different one person to the next.....biggest flaw is companies (or sanctioning bodies) can choose a number, any number which is unacceptable to them. A test that looks for smaller numbers, can in fact, produce more false-positives. The story of a woman suing a corporation because she failed a drug test due to opiates is NOT an urban legend....the poppyseed muffins she enjoyed triggered a very sensitive test. She sued, and won. Now, having said that, the "observer" thing, hmmm...I don't quite buy...I have had numerous tests in my life, either pre-employment or the BS "random" tests...never have they asked, nor attempted to view my body. A supervised test means someone was either just outside the door, or, in very rare cases, in the room, but nowhere near to you. They simply go by temperature, another number they can choose at will. Though there are standards, it's as wide as a barn door swinging in the breeze...too many questions about it. The only acceptable way is a blood test administered and tested by medical professionals....that's the only true indication...everything else is convenience, and usually skewed....so, sort of questioning the fact that he was asked to show himself....when it gets down to not trusting the person being tested, they usually opt for a blood test...or hair sample, both of which are hugely more expensive than a urine test.

Why do they need so many samples? And if they were watching him, they obviously know the samples were coming from him. So why would the temp. even be an issue? Seems very strange to me.

As an employer, I know there are some fairly high-tech "bladder bags" out there that can be used to produce a sample from someone other than the testee. It may not keep the sample at body temp, so that is one reason they test temp.

If Justin is being honest with his side of the story, this really sucks for him. He is getting publicly persecuted. :(

I agree with Chris, there has to be more to the story on one side or the other....

With all the horror stories about the drug-alcohol test. And with so much to loose, why do people wait till the last hour to submit to the testing?
I would be doing the test as soon as I got the papers.

why is it even remotely fair to put the story out publicly?

I don't think NHRA did anything wrong... he didn't produce a sample in the allotted time. Therefore rules say he's suspended.

Whether the sample was not produced in time was due to negligence on the part of the people / company doing the testing, or some other factors remains to be seen, but whatever the case it's not NHRA's fault.

What is the right thing to do? NHRA should allow an appeal, and perform an investigation. Isn't that what they're doing?

Should they put out the story? Who wanted the story told? Comp plus talked to Finley who probably want's to clear his name and explain what happened. Therefore Comp plus is just getting information out there, probably at Finley's request.

Maybe NHRA reviews what happens and decides to choose a different drug testing company next time.

I say the NHRA needs a swift kick in the ass. The comp plus article states it all and first Mike, now Justin. It now looks like you take the drug test you get screwed and banned for a year. You fail it, sit home a week, and race again. I already feel Justin should be cleared of charges, he showed up didn't he? He produced the samples and now there not good enough, there needs to be a NEW SYSTEM CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD. How bout some consistant information NHRA?

Should they put out the story? Who wanted the story told? Comp plus talked to Finley who probably want's to clear his name and explain what happened. Therefore Comp plus is just getting information out there, probably at Finley's request.

Nick we put out the story because it is news, not at the request of any driver or party. To put out at someone's request would be a press release and obviously biased.

We went to the NHRA asking for details and what we published is what they told us. Then we sought Finley's side of the story. The end result was what we published. There was no editorial, just the facts.

Bobby Bennett

I don't think NHRA did anything wrong... he didn't produce a sample in the allotted time. Therefore rules say he's suspended. According to him, he went there after qualifying the day he was notified and they were closed, doors locked. IMO, shouldn't the testing facility be left open for some time after all competitors are done for the day? Who sets the hours? At least give them an opportunity to get it done same day. It's not like racers sit around on lounge chairs and grill hot dogs at their pit area all day or right after a run, they are busy working on their stuff.

Whether the sample was not produced in time was due to negligence on the part of the people / company doing the testing, or some other factors remains to be seen, but whatever the case it's not NHRA's fault. If the company is doing the testing under contract from NHRA, then the NHRA is partially responsible as well. Similar to a general contractor(NHRA)/sub-contractor(testing company) scenario.

What is the right thing to do? NHRA should allow an appeal, and perform an investigation. Isn't that what they're doing? Sure, with the rediculous random "fee" attached. What is this fee for, the hour and 3 sheets of paper it takes to come to a decision based on the evidence? You don't see anything wrong with this?

Maybe NHRA reviews what happens and decides to choose a different drug testing company next time.

I'm not saying that he's innocent or guilty, but I also don't think that NHRA is completely innocent either.

- cutting the 24 hr. time limit close? perhaps and obviously worked to his
disavantage

- trying to compete as a stated 'one man band', i'm sure his spare time on
friday was next to nothing, although a stated effort to test was made that
same day, followed by stated problems with samples the following day.

- is the $1500 appeal fee refunded if argument is awarded to racer?

sorry bobby my original post was perhaps stated incorrectly; your story
certainly brings to light statements from both sides.
please follow up on this one.

Last edited:
How many drug tests are there in a typical weekend? If theres hundreds and only one or two stories like this a year then its a pretty good record.

I have been "randomly" chosen 7 times I think. At Chicago they found me again. I took the test within the hour. Nobody was waiting except a few NHRA officials who also were being tested.

If you wait you take responsibility for your own actions. The temp is checked immediately and it must be within 1 degree of normal body temp. Quite a few have tried to sneak someone else's urine in but it will never be up to temp, or it is Over temp. These testers know exactly what they are looking for, they do this every single day. They can spot a scammer very quickly.

It isn't a NHRA problem, it is a country wide problem. I am glad they are randomly testing us. I thought they picked me all the time because they knew I don't really drink and they wanted better odds. Truth be told they just pick people randomly. His number was up, he had 24 hours to comply, he failed. Why in the world do some of you think this is a conspiracy?

It is a sign of the times we live in. We know the rules but when it happens to us it is somehow wrong.... He can appeal and see what happens, hopefully he is legit and this will be resolved. If not it may be a wake up call that saves his or someone else's life.

I have been "randomly" chosen 7 times I think. At Chicago they found me again. I took the test within the hour. Nobody was waiting except a few NHRA officials who also were being tested.

If you wait you take responsibility for your own actions. The temp is checked immediately and it must be within 1 degree of normal body temp. Quite a few have tried to sneak someone else's urine in but it will never be up to temp, or it is Over temp. These testers know exactly what they are looking for, they do this every single day. They can spot a scammer very quickly.

It isn't a NHRA problem, it is a country wide problem. I am glad they are randomly testing us. I thought they picked me all the time because they knew I don't really drink and they wanted better odds. Truth be told they just pick people randomly. His number was up, he had 24 hours to comply, he failed. Why in the world do some of you think this is a conspiracy?

It is a sign of the times we live in. We know the rules but when it happens to us it is somehow wrong.... He can appeal and see what happens, hopefully he is legit and this will be resolved. If not it may be a wake up call that saves his or someone else's life.

You make a really great arguement. It just seems that the few cases that have failed, all have the same negative points about the NHRA not working with them and it has to make you think as well. The track record is great and hundreds pass, few fail, but why cant I see any proof of the claims the Strasburg, Finley made; yet the NHRA never goes out of there way to say that what they said were untrue. There must be benefit of the doubt givin to low budget, busy at the track, near the end of the 24 hr. deadline racer too.

Guidera was a different deal. He admitted his fault and walked away for the year, which made you think he needed a better watch or was out drinkin the night before. Allen Johnson failed it and he was DQ only for the race. Testing should go on, but the system should be improved make the hours for example like 10am to 6PM and once you get asked to test, you have to test THAT DAY and if you leave the track that day without testing then you get banned for the rest of the weekend and a year.

Last edited:
All I know is that if I were a driver and was picked to produce a sample, I'd chug a bunch of water and head for the test site. Too much rides on this to be putting it off until the last minute.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back