A little help with some research (1 Viewer)

Kris

Nitro Member
So, I'm writing a story about a local girl who works full time, goes to school online to get her high school diploma and races her dad's '69 Nova on weekends.

I'm trying to better understand how the class she races in, she described it as there something then Pro then Super Pro, and she races Pro. She had previously raced high school class in an old Expedition. I guess she's not racing Sportsman so I'm a little confused. I asked her to clarify but I realized I would be better off going out and doing some research to get a handle on it.

Can anyone help me out? Point me in the right direction or explain it to me. :)

Thanks in advance.

From what I can understand Pro is 9.00 and slower and no electronics are allowed (no delay box, throttle enhancer, etc.). Door cars only as well. Im just basing that off of my local track (atco nj) because they run street, pro and super pro.

I think the best thing to do is to find out which track she races at, then consult that track's website, and call if needed, to figure out the class structure. It seems every track in the country does things JUST a little different.

And the locals look at you like you're a blooming numbskull if you don't know their system.
:p

yep, at our track...last I was aware...PRO was indeed no electronics but ET limit usually was 10.50 but it was sometimes adjusted. There was no distinction between door and no door though. If it was fast enough to run the time, it didn't matter how many doors it did or didn't have.

This is taken from the 2009 Drag Racing Rules & Regulations on Pacific Raceways' website. I think this ought to help you out.

6.2 The brackets for the E.T. tournament will be as follows:

7.50 – 11.99 Super Pro (electronics allowed)
7.50 – 13.99 Pro (No electronics)
12.00 – Slower Sportsman (No electronics)
7.50 – 14.99 Motorcycle (electronics allowed)
11.00 – Slower High School (No electronics)

10.0 Prohibited Devices

10.1 Super Pro (7.50‐11.99)

10.2 Computer: Prohibited unless stock vehicle by new car manufacturer. (NHRA Gen. Reg. 9:1)
10.3 Data Recorders: Permitted (in ET racing see Sec. 1A. Support Group 9) (NHRA Gen. Reg. 9:2)
10.4 Delay Boxes: Permitted, one box/device only attached to trans‐brake and or throttle timer only. Delay box may only display delay amount. All direct wiring must be clearly identifiable to tech inspector.
10.5 4‐Wheel line lock: Permitted
10.6 Automatic Shifter: Permitted
10.7 Ignition: Stutter boxes prohibited. Starting line and or “high side” rev limiters permitted. Two steps, rev limiters or any other rpm limiting devices, legal unto themselves but altered or installed so as to function as a down track rpm controller, prohibited.
10.8 Switches and Buttons: All switches and/or buttons must be standard mechanical connection type. Infrared laser, retinal scans, fingerprint, light source or any other non‐mechanical type switch and/or button prohibited.

11.0 Pro E.T. (7:50‐13.99)

11.1 Delay boxes: Prohibited
11.2 Throttle Control: the driver’s foot must manually operate Throttle control. Electronics, pneumatics, hydraulics or any other device may no way affect the throttle operations. Throttle timers, counters, prohibited.
11.3 Trans‐brake: Permitted
11.4 4‐wheel line lock; Prohibited
11.5 Automatic Shifter: Permitted
11.6 Computer: Prohibited unless stock vehicle by new car manufacturer. (NHRA Gen. Reg. 9.1)
11.7 Data recorders: (see NHRA Gen. Reg. 9.2 & 9.2A)
11.8 Ignition: Stutter boxes prohibited. Starting line and or “high side” rev limiters or any other rpm limiting devices, legal unto themselves but altered or installed so as to function as a down track rpm controller, prohibited.
11.9 No tow vehicle allowed.

12.0 Sportsman (12.00‐Slower)

12.1 Delay boxes, 4‐wheel line locks, trans‐brakes, automated shifters: prohibited.
12.2 Computer: Prohibited unless stock vehicle by new car manufacturer. (NHRA Gen. Reg. 9.1)
12.3 Data Recorders: (See NHRA Gen. Reg. 9.2 and 9.2A)
12.4 Throttle Control: the driver’s foot must manually operate Throttle Control. Electronic, pneumatics, hydraulics or any other device may in no way affect throttle operation. Throttle timers, counters prohibited.
12.5 Line locks: 2‐wheel line locks permitted on non‐drive wheels only.
12.6 OEM electronics, tachometers, single stage rev limiters: permitted.
12.7 Ignition: Stutter boxes prohibited. Starting line and or “high side” rev limiters or any other rpm limiting devices, legal unto themselves but altered or installed so as to function as a down track rpm controller, prohibited.
12.8 Switches & Buttons: (See 7.17 above)
12.9 No tow vehicles allowed.

13.0 Motorcycle (7.50‐14.99)

13.1 Delay boxes throttle control: Permitted
13.2 Computer, data recorder: Prohibited (See NHRA gen. Reg. 9.1, 9.2 & 9.2A)
13.3 Ignition: Stutter boxes prohibited. Starting line and or “high side” rev limiters permitted. Two steps, rev limiters or any other rpm limiting devices, legal unto themselves but altered or installed so as to function as a down track rpm controller, prohibited.
13.4 Switches & Buttons: (See 10.8 above)
13.5 No Scooters or mini bikes.
13.6 Split Tree/Motorcycles: The tree for motorcycle in eliminations is set up for a .500 full tree, those riders wishing to receive a .400 pro tree must display the dial‐ins as: (example 9.50P). Time trials will be run separately.

14.0 High school (11.00‐Slower)

14.1 High School representatives must be enrolled in high school or be a 2009 graduate.
14.2 Rear tires: Rear tires limited to maximum 10‐inch tread width. Must be a DOT street tire.
14.3 Electronics: Same as sportsman above.
14.4 Neither the student nor their car may be entered in any other eliminator at the event.
14.5 The vehicle must be a street‐legal car with a dial‐in of 11.99 or slower.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Oh, Mike, I think your information is exactly what I'm looking for ... she races at Pacific Raceways, by the way, so I'll look at that, too.

So, just double checking, but this is all part of NHRA, right? I just want to make sure I explain it right but I'm not really familiar with this area of racing so I don't want to screw it up.

Pro is part of the NHRA Summit Series. Pretty much every NHRA sactioned track runs a Summit Series which is the individual track's points championship. The top point earners from each track get to go to the Summit ET Finals at one designated division track (so there are 7 divisions, each division has one ET finals). The winners from each of the division's ET finals then get to compete at the NHRA Finals in Pomona for World ET Champion!

Sounds like you've got a cool story going Kris! Post a link when you finish it so we can check it out!

Kenny, thank you for that information, I think that was the final piece I needed!

This girl is definitely cool. I will post a link once I get it written. She's driving her dad's 69 Nova which he used to race oval track so there's the family that races together aspect, as well. There's some other elements to the story that really make it that much more compelling.

It will be in this Friday's paper so I should post it to the Web sometime between Wednesday and Friday. :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back