A/FD in Australia (1 Viewer)

Don't know Australian rules but if they could run 100%, cars would be capable of 4.90's in 1/4 mile. T/F there runs 1000', so it might be possible for an injected car to win a round if the blown car goes up in smoke, etc. I think current Aussie Top Alky rules are T/AD and TA/FC running together as one class & no injected nitro. Maybe they wanna run injected nitro in that class?

It's not solely the Nitro percentage that keeps the A/F cars where they are performance wise. Its their clutch and fuel system management as well. If they were allowed more sophisticated management systems, like those of the big show cars, they'd be well into the 4's at 300 in no time. I'd be shocked if bumping up the nitro percentage a couple points yielded a 4 second pass; I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks Nate. I was thinking that an A/FD just recently ran 5.11 on whatever % is allowed in the class. So, I thought if they could run 100%, that might yield a 4.98 or like that. I do agree that if they were allowed to run the big show technology, they would be 4.80's at 300. I remember about 20 years ago, Rick Henkleman ran a 5.36 in A/FD & it stunned everyone. The rules have changed so much over the years that it has taken all this time to get where they are now, ie: 5.11. Also thought that if blown alky could run w/o restrictions and A/FD same thing, then the A/FD would be quicker & faster. Well, my 2 cents. Heh

Being N/A, the conditions would have to be perfect, mind-shaft conditions, then only maybe.

Also keep in mind that an NHRA legal A/Fuel Dragster engine is 420-430 cubic inches. If they ran 500 CI like a Top Fuel car, they would be even quicker.

Alan

Also keep in mind that an NHRA legal A/Fuel Dragster engine is 420-430 cubic inches. If they ran 500 CI like a Top Fuel car, they would be even quicker.

Alan

I was going to mention that too and forgot. thanks Alan!

A/FD has been around since Day One. Garlits' first dragsters were carbs & nitro. The car he ran at Bakersfield in 1959 was his last unblown car. I can think of 2 A/FD that I would nominate for all time baddest A/FD: Cook & Bedwell and Adams & Enriquez. Feel free to add to this list.

The IHRA allowed A/Fuel to run in their top fuel class for a few years with a lot fewer limitations. Keith Stark, I think, was trying some new things but I believe the IHRA program kinda of collapsed before much progress could be made.

The IHRA allowed A/Fuel to run in their top fuel class for a few years with a lot fewer limitations. Keith Stark, I think, was trying some new things but I believe the IHRA program kinda of collapsed before much progress could be made.
No it died out because the cars that showed up had zero chance of qualifying.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back