Zizzo Explosion (1 Viewer)

steve

Nitro Member
Anyone know what happened? I saw the explosion, Dunn thought the crank broke.
I saw 3 intake valves shoved up the intake ports while Paul Page was asking T.J. if Indy was a special race,
but I didn't hear exactly what the cause was.

Broken camshaft! Crank and all rods and pistons were intact sans the pistons that tagged valves that were no longer timed properly.

That was a pretty spectacular explosion. Gave Rustoleum some extra tv time. (btw, I was working on a project a while back and specifically purchased Rustoleum brand paint a while back because of this sponsorship)

Gary Nastase got a great sequence of Zizzo's "boomer."

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=290562&NewHash=NHRA-SUMMIT#indextop

He said he got about 20 frames of the fireball on motordrive and described it as the biggest fireball he could remember. It was definitely a major-leaguer.

Larry, thanks for making me aware of that picture sequence from the lens of Gary Nastase. That was an impressive explosion and amazing photography capturing it.

i think clay m. had an explosion a year or two ago and i think it was at indy......very similar, and if i remember rite
the 10k frame/sec camera captured it showing parts flying forward at initial explosion.

Just read they had to drop the car off at Mckinney's to be fixed. I guess the explosion tweaked the chassis.

Man, right in front of me! Kinda like Beldar's bottle rocket. It's Friday and I'm still singed...

Sunday morning before 1st round I was talkin to Tony Smith (Clutch guy) and he said they weren't hurting anything all weekend except on the .79 pass. Then to see that Boomer in Rd. 1 yikes....talk about a Bad Omen!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back