Your Favourite Song Of All Time? (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
lf CDs hadn't been invented and you could play your Favourite Song Of All Time continuously on a 45 or 78 record until the stylus or record wore out (or both) because you loved it so much. What would be your Favourite Song Of All Time?

My Favourite Song Of All Time has to be "Be My Baby" by "The Ronettes." :)

Man that's a tough one. For me it would have to be something from Led Zeppelin...maybe "Achilles' Last Stand".

Besides going insane no matter what the song... I guess I would choose the Sound of Silence, not because of the 33 1/3, 45, or 78 qualities, but as a former musician the song can be played fast or slow, sung in harmony or solo, folksy, gospel, rock versions have all been done, plus there seem to be a never ending string of intros that have been done for it.

I may be mincing words, but you only stipulated one song, not one version of one song. If it is one version of one song, regardless of the selection, I would need a rubber room and a straight jacket. In that case I would have to selct whatever piece of classical music is the longest and most varied ever recorded, to keep my mind in my head. :)

A song that makes me stop, listen, and my eyes water up...

O, say can you see,
By the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed,
At the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
Through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night,
That our flag was still there.
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

Man ... so many spring to mind. In no particular order as I could not imagine a world without these songs ...

Cocaine Blues - Johnny Cash
Orestes - A Perfect Circle
H - Tool
10,000 Days Part 2 Wings For Marie - Tool
Cortez the Killer - Neil Young
Texas Flood - SRV
Until the End of the World - U2
Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
Gravity - A Perfect Circle
Drain You - Nirvana
Sin - Nine Inch Nails

But if someone put the gun to my head and said choose:
Time - Pink Floyd

PS Jenn ... I always geta little choked up on Sundays at National Events when the national anthem is being sung and the parachutist comes in with that big American flag ... then they fire the first pair ... gets me every time ...

A song that makes me stop, listen, and my eyes water up...

O, say can you see,
By the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed,
At the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
Through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night,
That our flag was still there.
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
I agree with you Jenn...
Immediately followed by 2 NITRO cars coming to life!!
Then those tears turn into a HUGE smile...:D

Even without the words, the song just gives me goose bumpers... And to be the first pair to fire on top of that is, well... There are no words for that...:)

Last edited:
I agree with you Jenn...
Immediately followed by 2 NITRO cars coming to life!!
Then those tears turn into a HUGE smile...:D

Even without the words, the song just gives me goose bumpers... And to be the first pair to fire on top of that is, well... There are no words for that...:)

Not to derail the thread (ok, maybe...:rolleyes: ) but....

On Sept 11 when the terrorists hit I was in Chicago for a trade show. I got stuck there for a couple of days. About a week after I got home we went out to the dirt track races. Just like EVERY race they did the Star Spangled Banner right before the cars fired. Being SO close to that event and with all of the emotions all of us Americans were feeling, it was surreal. I started crying and tried to hide it. Then I looked around and I bet half of the spectators were doing the same. Amazing...

Sorry, this thread just reminded me of that Saturday night.

Rhapsody In Blue, by George Gershwin. ....or Closer, by Nine Inch Nails, I can't decide which one! :p

Rhapsody In Blue, by George Gershwin. ....or Closer, by Nine Inch Nails, I can't decide which one! :p

I can't quite picture you listening to NIN, Bob, some how, I get an easier visual of Bob Unkerfer singing Shania Twain... :D :eek:

No wonder I can't stay out of trouble... :eek:

I can't quite picture you listening to NIN, Bob
You didn't know me when I my hair was down to the middle of my back. ...when I still had most of my hair! :eek:
some how, I get an easier visual of Bob Unkerfer singing Shania Twain...
Don't feel bad, so do I!

My musical tastes are very diverse. My parents loved classical and jazz, my dad played piano in jazz bands when I was little. I was playing drums in rock bands at the age of 14.

I hung up my sticks in the mid-80's, got tired of only being able to find bands that just wanted to jam and get high.

In the early to mid-90's, I was working on the "other side" of music -- concert production and promotion. I loved the production part because someone else was taking all of the risks dollar wise. Promotion was a different animal -- I was taking all of the risks, and lost my a$$ on a couple concerts.

Working on that side of music, overall, was a blast. I got to meet the people and hear some great music in the process. This was all in a small venue, a live music night club that was SRO at 400 people. We booked a fairly diverse menu of artists into that room. Quiet Riot (the loudest noise I've ever heard -- Kevin DuBrow told me if the music was too loud, I was too old! :p ), Arlo Guthrie (he was still the same hippie he ever was), Blues Traveler (I've never seen anyone play a harmonica like John Popper can), Sheryl Crow (had her in there twice, the second time was three weeks before her first album hit the charts), Lonnie Brooks (Chicago blues rock at its best), Bo Diddley (he had to have been close to 70-years-old then, and the dude could still kick butt on stage), just to name a few.

I picked Rhapsody In Blue first, because it really is my all time favorite song. I added NIN because Trent Reznor is a musical genius, a one-man-band in the studio. ...his lyrics are sometimes a little unusual. :eek:

My first race this year will be IHRA in San Antonio. Do you guys ever play on the other side?

Bob :)

Bo Diddly was a customer of my parents way back when he lived in the area. There are pictures of him and his 'great big lincoln' somewhere around here.

Mostly do the IHRA sanctioned bracket races, not too much on the national and divisional level.

First event is Chandler, but only in SG. Somebody, name not mentioned because she's really tired of hearing that it's all my fault, slacked off and didn't look at the SC entry schedule so it was filled up before she got off my butt. :p

To some it's a catchy song. To some it's a never-ending goal. To others it's a way of life. A song that's pure, simple, clean, and to the point - with absolutley no mistaking it's message......
I Wanna' Rock N' Roll All Night And Party Every Day

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back