WOW....Bass fishing vs NHRA (1 Viewer)

Boo

Nitro Member
I love fishing, but really????? I was just reading an article about the latest BASS tournament and the winner, Skeet Reese gets $100,000 for winning the tournment.... And the winner of Top Fuel/Funny car in Atlanta will only get $50,000????? I knew NHRA was low in their payouts.....but a fishing tournment???????

I love fishing, but really????? I was just reading an article about the latest BASS tournament and the winner, Skeet Reese gets $100,000 for winning the tournment.... And the winner of Top Fuel/Funny car in Atlanta will only get $50,000????? I knew NHRA was low in their payouts.....but a fishing tournment???????

Gary......... For many years this has been the case, Huge money paid out at the fishing tournaments but it's not likely to change any time soon.
Evidently the manufacturing companys making the products used by fishermen must feel that it's worth it to put up huge bucks to be associated with catching the big one!
Don't do a comparison with NHRA and Golf or you will really freak out!!:eek:

I always thought it was ridiculous that they get paid that much for catching a damn fish, while a TF driver gets only 50K for risking his neck driving 300mph. :rolleyes:

Aren't cash rewards for pro teams kinda irrelevant anyway? Didn't racing for profit (outside sportsman racing) go away in the 80's? Might as well pay them in beer.

Aren't cash rewards for pro teams kinda irrelevant anyway? Didn't racing for profit (outside sportsman racing) go away in the 80's? Might as well pay them in beer.

Ditto.

I am sure for some Owner/Driver/Tuner combos, the payout does assist in expenses, but for most big sponsored teams, I believe the cash payouts are split between the team members (in some ratio that fits the team) as "bonus" monies.

I forgot to mention that I understand the prize differences. Doesn't make sense that somebody catching fish can make more than someone driving a car, but then there's the fact that a whole lot more Americans fish, than those that enjoy racing. They buy boats, trailers, trucks, rods, reels, umpteen millions of lures, not to mention all the support companies that offer guide services, clothing, etc etc etc. It's just a bigger market.

Anyone that's walked into a Cabela's or a Bass Pro shop can see the money there versus a speed shop.

It's all Return On Investment for sponsors. More value to companies that plaster their name on a guy fishing than the side of a race car.... :(

I guarentee to you that the fishing industry hasn't made any money off of me. I think fishing was the most boring thing that I ever did as a kid.

I guarentee to you that the fishing industry hasn't made any money off of me. I think fishing was the most boring thing that I ever did as a kid.

I'd rather go for a root canal without novacaine. Especially after the cooler in the boat goes dry.....

You must not have gone to any good fishing holes.
Come on down to Arkansas. We can fish year round for just about every kind of freshwater species alive.
My family's got a place on a prime trout river.

You must not have gone to any good fishing holes.
Come on down to Arkansas. We can fish year round for just about every kind of freshwater species alive.
My family's got a place on a prime trout river.
There are a lot of things that I like now, but I didn't like as a kid...so who knows maybe if I tried it I would like it now. I am a lot more laid back then I was in my younger years.:D

I understand the bigger market fishing has. I don't know what the figures are but I am sure the primary sponsorship for one of the top fisherman must be less than one of the top flight fuel teams......but maybe I am wrong there too. Just seems off kilter for a sport that has the dangers that professional drag racing has to have a winners purse smaller than a guy catching 15lbs of Bass in a day.

I understand the bigger market fishing has. I don't know what the figures are but I am sure the primary sponsorship for one of the top fisherman must be less than one of the top flight fuel teams......but maybe I am wrong there too. Just seems off kilter for a sport that has the dangers that professional drag racing has to have a winners purse smaller than a guy catching 15lbs of Bass in a day.

It's all about Sponsorship.....NHRA gets $3 Mil. From Coca cola every year, they got $12 Million from Winston!

One of my clients owns B.A.S.S. it seems to be a well run lucrative venture.

I recently bought my boys a couple year old bass boat owned by a "professional" fisherman ... trust me he did not think the world was raining money.

That said, I do have a few "friends of friends" who make a pretty decent living wetting a line ... and their senses for getting a fish to hit a lure are unbelievable. They work/travel like dogs are and unbelievably committed to their passion.

The Bass Pro Shops story is a pretty interesting business story. Very well executed ... and points out well that if are not growing you are dying.

It's all simple economics, our passion is not mainstream enough to attract the money (and many would argue that those "guiding the future of the sport" are not helping that much).

Jeff

I can tell you this, if someone drew a line in the sand and on one side of the line was fishing and the other side of the line was drag racing and I absolutely had to choose one or the other ... I gotta tell ya that I am going to the fishing side of the line 100 out of 100 times. I have been fishing since I could stand, and I plan on fishing when I am old and not able to stand. Luckily for me, that scenario is not likely to happen, because I do love drag racing.

All of that being said, in most of those big fishing tournaments there is a tremendous disparity in money from the guy who wins, and the guys who finish second on down. So yeah, Skeet got 100K for winning, but I doubt the guy who finished 5th got 5K. Tremendous pressure on that circuit, that is why you see them freak out when they don't get the fish on the boat or the line breaks.

You wanna know the reason in the $$$ difference. I'll help out a little. 3 out of 10 people might know what drag racing is. 10 out of 10 know fishing. Not saying they all participate but there's alot more people in the world who care about fishing than drag racing.

And for those of you who think fishing is boring, you havent done it right or suck at it. Now, I will say some types of fishing is boring even for people like myself who love fishing but given the right day, it can be awesome.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back