WJ takes a look in the past and future (1 Viewer)

Very nice article. Wish NHRA would do more interviews with legends even if they are not racing. It would be cool, IMHO, to see interviews similar to the one they did with WJ with people like Garlits (gasp), Karemesines, Glidden, just to name a few. Gives the little guy like me just a tad more insight into what makes them tick. The picture of WJ and Arlene standing next to their '57 Chevy was neat.

Great read on the Professor. I like his no-frills, no-bull philosophy. But I really like what he said about making a positive impression on the kids and how that would be his proudest accomplishment. There's something to be said for that in my opinion.

That reminds me of one of the races they played on the ESPN Classic series a few weeks ago. I think it was one of the western swing races that Warren won. But his mom was there at the top end when they interviewed him, and she was hugging and kissing on him and was so proud of his win. And she asked him if she was embarrassing him by doing that, and he said, "No, Have at it!" It was really cute. :D Great guy!

Excellent article,although not long enough!! I think if pressed,WJ had a lot more to say!! A lot of people over the years have belittled WJ for his "Jeep" comments and such,but I never thought of it that way.I always thought he was just getting things interesting,similar to the "gasser war" comments of the 1960's.I will say though that anyone cannot go against his work ethic,he's got to be one of the hardest working people in drag racing,and one of the smartest as well.

I wonder what the history of Pro Stock would look like had Glidden landed the Oldsmobile deal? Would there have ever been a competitive Ford in Pro Stock had Glidden not campaigned them?

Regarding WJ's "Jeep" comments of years past...he was kind. He could have mentioned Mopar's D.A. era...which in retrospect was full of nothing but controversy and crime.

Warren has remainded focused on winning and working harder than anyone else. My guess is that the Summit team is where they are from a WJ style work ethic. That might be the biggest thing Greg learned from the Professor.

Again...great article.

I wonder what the history of Pro Stock would look like had Glidden landed the Oldsmobile deal? Would there have ever been a competitive Ford in Pro Stock had Glidden not campaigned them?

No! Unless WJ had signed on with them, had he not gotten the Olds deal. But he did.

Warren has remainded focused on winning and working harder than anyone else. My guess is that the Summit team is where they are from a WJ style work ethic. That might be the biggest thing Greg learned from the Professor.

Yes!

I was watching Horsepower TV this morning and WJ was on. They were doing the 572 crate motor assembly. He had me laughing a few times. Not the same WJ that you see on t.v. I've had the pleasure of speaking to him a few times when Bakersfield had the Winter Warm-ups (I guess that was in the early 90's?). He is a really nice guy and funny too.
What a great interview! I'm a Glidden fan, but WJ is a legend too!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back