Wild Horse Pass Progress (1 Viewer)

There's no reason why it can't, it just needs a little love and someone willing to do it. Despite how my initial comment may have been taken, I'm optimistic the owners and new management will make a serious go at it.

If you think you are going to get anything out of this sorry tribe, good luck.

If you think you are going to get anything out of this sorry tribe, good luck.
From what I have read, this "sorry tribe" has already spent $500k on the track and having met some of the management team, I think they are on the right track and will gladly race there.

From what I have read, this "sorry tribe" has already spent $500k on the track and having met some of the management team, I think they are on the right track and will gladly race there.
Paul, we'll be out there next Saturday taking pictures, do you know roughly about when you'll be running? I'm not finding any real schedule listed.

Chris; it looks like the track won't be ready in time so I'm not sure if I will be going. I've been trying to get an answer from the promoter or the track with no luck so far, hopefully I'll know for sure by 1/2/2014 and I'll post it here.

Nunzio, not yet, I'm starting with NE1 (7.60), then go to 7.0 Pro, after that, I'll see how the car is responding.

I spoke with the promoter today and he told me the track will not be ready in time but I have decided to take the car there anyway so if anybody is going, please stop by and say hi.

Went by the track again yesterday - there is freshly poured concrete. Two strips with space in between and outside to the walls. Assume these will be filled in with asphalt but that's just a guess. Some grading being done in the spaces and some signage going up. Scoreboards appears to be the same ones that were there under FIRP era. It will be very interesting to see if Friday Night Drags scheduled for Jan 24th occur. There are no new amenities of any kind that I could see. Thought GRIC agreement with NHRA stipulated upgrades . . . if so, appears that won't happen this year.

I do not get all the criticism of firebird. Sure I have been to better tracks but have been to a lot worse here in Australia. I had a blast there in 2012, maybe the company I had made it such a great weekend along with the fact it was my second NHRA event and Pomona the week before I was in a state of disbelief so I took more in at firebird. I have very fond memories of the place.

The restrooms at Willowbank here in Australia are as bad if not worse.
Go to Seattle. The pissers there are a joke.

Thanks for the update, Jim... Was thinking about hooking up the trailer and making it to the deal on the 25th, so we could get some runs dialed in for the Divisional the next weekend, but now even that date may be a bit suspect... I saw they put a call out on social media for some big slicks to use on the dragging machine to get some rubber on the new surface...

Glad to see they are making such good progress! I towed over there last weekend to run a road race at the East track. The WHP folks had made a deal with Albuquerque Dragway for 4 sets of slicks for the tire machine. I brought them over with me on Friday and, seeing the pictures in the link, they didn't waste any time getting them mounted and ready to lay some rubber.

Lyle Greenberg
www.lylegreenberg.com
www.greenbergracing.com

I was there yesterday for the import event. They actually ran a drag race with no pre-stage bulbs, no scoreboards, no one handing out time slips and they wonder why everyone was pissed off. And somehow or another an '82 Chevette with a 350 motor in it won an import drag race.

The place looks EXACTLY the same as it always has, only now less stuff works.

Last edited:
Went out Tuesday . . . new scoreboards were being erected and new speakers are in place. Other than one Ford sign and a lot of Carquest signage, not much has changed. Signage indicating seating sections has been removed and a few port a potties are in place.

Sounds like a lot of great improvements, and I love the idea of the mini-dragstrip to run Traxxas cars promotions. I hope everyone in the Southwest really supports this track, when I lived in AZ in the mid-90s I loved going there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back